Sport F1 flintstone finale

You've described how it looked to me, Sarge.

I rarely watch motorsports, but my son persuaded me to let him stay up to watch this exciting season closer. It was pretty exciting, and then it just collapsed into a set of randomly applied rules. I have a general principle that you shouldn't put down to corruption what can be readily explained by incompetence. This is one of those cases where I'm not sure. It seems like a lot of small decisions added up to favour a change in F1 champion. Whether that was random luck, subtle bias, calculated corruption or naive stupidity is anyone's guess. I imagine it will be dragged out in court for a while, but there is definitely someone here who isn't going to bother watching any motorsports again for a while.

I did watch plenty of the races this season but I won't bother next season as the FIA have made a farce of the competition and completely devalued it for me. I suspect I won't be the only one from what I've read. I'll stick to MotoGP/World Superbikes instead.

Based on?
Reckless driver, all the other drivers complain about this.
Always someone else's fault, even yesterday he was complaining right up until the final lap. I guess it's like moaning to the referee all the time until they crack and give you the decision you want.
These type of comments tell you all you need to know about the guy: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/3...y-vs-lewis-hamilton-ahead-of-f1-title-decider
Actually manages to make Hamilton look like a gentleman!
Nasty piece of work.

Reckless driver, all the other drivers complain about this.
Always someone else's fault, even yesterday he was complaining right up until the final lap. I guess it's like moaning to the referee all the time until they crack and give you the decision you want.
These type of comments tell you all you need to know about the guy: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/3...y-vs-lewis-hamilton-ahead-of-f1-title-decider
Actually manages to make Hamilton look like a gentleman!
Nasty piece of work.
F1 equivalent of a scouser?

I suppose those are the rules, but it is utterly ridiculous, and the words of Jose Mourinho - the best Driver lost.

It's a bit like OUFC beating Swindon 3-0 with 10 mins to go. Then the match between MK Dons and Fleetwood town is paused for 8 mins due to a serious injury. During the stoppage, Swindon are allowed to relax, take on energy drinks, have a rub-down by the physio. OUFC players meanwhile are ordered to run an army assault course with Ant Middleton repeatedly shouting "Get a move on you lazy piece of sh*t".

Match is restarted with 2 mins to spare, and rules are changed to next goals wins because the ref wants to 'make a game of it', and it makes good TV.

Hardly an accurate analogy as Lewis could have come in for fresh tyres. Maybe Max would have the stayed out and the roles would have been reversed and Lewis would have won. Not Mercedes’ best call perhaps?

Hardly an accurate analogy as Lewis could have come in for fresh tyres. Maybe Max would have the stayed out and the roles would have been reversed and Lewis would have won. Not Mercedes’ best call perhaps?
No, Hamilton couldn't come in for tyres, it was unclear if the race would finish behind the safety car. If he had done, Verstappen would have stayed out, meaning he would lose the championship if there was any problems clearing the track. The only reason Red Bull made the call was because they had nothing to lose.

No it really isn't that simple.

But they did clear the track so Hamilton would have won if he came in.

Also, Hamilton could have chanced coming on the second lap of the safety car but teams had been told that there would be no overtaking that would have left Hamilton in the middle of a huge pack of cars.

It wasn't a gamble by staying out once the race director had made the first call. The regulations are clear, either there is no overtaken under the safety car due to track safety or ANY car that has been lapped is able to unlap themselves. The safety car would then come in at the end of the lap AFTER the cars have unlapped themselves. It's unprecedented to only allow a few cars to clear the way, and for the safety car to come in on the same lap as this happening.

The FIA will hide behind regulation 15.3 that allows the race director to have the final say on the safety car, but it's never intended to be used jn this way and sounds like a kid say "my ball, my rules" when playing football in the park.

A number of drivers have already come out to question the decision. All other teams will be uncomfortable, not only with the decision but also the fact that it changed 180 degrees after Horner spoke with Masi. If this incident happened in any other race, at any other stage, then the decision would have been different.

This will all depend on how much Mercedes or Hamilton want to fight it. If it goes to court then I'm certain that they'll win. However, I suspect that they may let this one go but with huge changes behind the scenes. With all the changes coming in 2022, they will want a sympathetic governing body and this may just play into their hands for next season.

But they did clear the track so Hamilton would have won if he came in.
Read or listen to the news will you, it's only been all over it since the race finished yesterday. Hamilton or Mercedes even by bringing a barrister along didn't have the powers to see into the future. At the time the decision needed to be made about coming in, it wasn't clear the race would restart. In fact, often with a crash like that so near to the end, the race would have finished under the safety car. Hamilton would of been in second place if he had gone in for tyres.

I did watch plenty of the races this season but I won't bother next season as the FIA have made a farce of the competition and completely devalued it for me. I suspect I won't be the only one from what I've read. I'll stick to MotoGP/World Superbikes instead.
Well if you want a worldwide circus, you need to have a good clown involved.

I suppose those are the rules, but it is utterly ridiculous, and the words of Jose Mourinho - the best Driver lost.

It's a bit like OUFC beating Swindon 3-0 with 10 mins to go. Then the match between MK Dons and Fleetwood town is paused for 8 mins due to a serious injury. During the stoppage, Swindon are allowed to relax, take on energy drinks, have a rub-down by the physio. OUFC players meanwhile are ordered to run an army assault course with Ant Middleton repeatedly shouting "Get a move on you lazy piece of sh*t".

Match is restarted with 2 mins to spare, and rules are changed to next goals wins because the ref wants to 'make a game of it', and it makes good TV.
Best I heard it's like being 5 nil up and being told next goal wins.

Read or listen to the news will you, it's only been all over it since the race finished yesterday. Hamilton or Mercedes even by bringing a barrister along didn't have the powers to see into the future. At the time the decision needed to be made about coming in, it wasn't clear the race would restart. In fact, often with a crash like that so near to the end, the race would have finished under the safety car. Hamilton would of been in second place if he had gone in for tyres.
Of course they can’t see into the future. But this is why we watch sport, we don’t know what is going to happen. Gambles have to be taken or not. Lewis/Mercedes, understandably, didn’t fancy the odds of coming in ( they seemed to have the tyres ready) but the diced then rolled against them.

Of course they can’t see into the future. But this is why we watch sport, we don’t know what is going to happen. Gambles have to be taken or not. Lewis/Mercedes, understandably, didn’t fancy the odds of coming in ( they seemed to have the tyres ready) but the diced then rolled against them.
Your post seemed to indicate to that it was a given, had he come in. Most sports are made up of rules that are followed (yes in football refs get things wrong but that is through their judgement or interpretation not by changing/disregarding the rules). Sport is also about skill, determination and technique. Luck comes into it on some level in football for example although most of the time it's not actually lucky/unlucky that one team hits the post time three times etc and doesn't score it's actually that their shots were not good enough to find the net. You are right, we don't know what's going to happen in sport often but that is not down to the rules being changed to give such an advantage over another as in this case. I will add that I had no foot in either camp in terms of who I wanted to win but surely you can see how utterly ridiculous in terms of the outcome of the race was decided?

Could have just as well had a run off pit stop, as that's where most F1 races seem to be decided nowadays. Should have done that on Saturday would have saved a lot of people sitting through what turned out to be 57 meaningless laps.

Could have just as well had a run off pit stop, as that's where most F1 races seem to be decided nowadays. Should have done that on Saturday would have saved a lot of people sitting through what turned out to be 57 meaningless laps.

I think Red Bull have had something like 15 pitstops faster than any other team this year. My bro-in-law is on the front right tyre and never stops banging on about it!!

A better solution would have been to go full on Mario Kart. 3 laps, bombs, turtle shells, oil leaks, torpedos - the lot! Hamilton, Verstappen, Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi - winner takes all.

Back
Top Bottom