Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I think the casing point is, some never game him a chance from the start. I'm glad he has proven you wrong. He deserved more respect. Good lad Des.
It's not just that certain people didn't give him a chance, but some made their minds up quickly and posted the same negative stuff, time and time and time again ad nauseum.

Like most sensible, fair minded people I think, I was unhappy with the way things seemed to be going but desperately wanted him to succeed and found the pile-on from the same few faces rather tedious.

It's not just that certain people didn't give him a chance, but some made their minds up quickly and posted the same negative stuff, time and time and time again ad nauseum.

Like most sensible, fair minded people I think, I was unhappy with the way things seemed to be going but desperately wanted him to succeed and found the pile-on from the same few faces rather tedious.
Yes, some people do look like twats now, it has to be said. Not because they moaned or criticized several poor performances, but because they went ON and ON and ON saying the same stuff about how rubbish Des and certain players were. Some such as @JimSmith2 seem to have returned to their parent clubs but I'm sure others are still around, keeping a bit of a low profile. Anyway, bygones are bygones and all that.

I was delighted when we got Des and I've been very vocal about the lack of support he's had, especially early doors, but I also struggled to see a way back for him after the Bolton debacle. Massive credit to him for the turnaround since then, especially as the squad is still so thin in my opinion with only Harris up top and realistically a drop off in quality when we need to turn to the bench. Certainly a lesson in patience, similar in the division below where Doncaster were struggling under McCann until they went mental and now find themselves odds on for promotion.

Bolton will rightly be the favourites but we certainly have a chance, Barnsley showed them to be vulnerable the other night. Regardless we've seen enough now to be optimistic for next season with a summer to get in players who fit how he wants us to play. What I've been particularly impressed with is how adaptable he's showing himself to be, he clearly wants to play expansive, attacking football but is prudent enough to know when we need to be more solid and is capable of organising it as well.

Some even went as far as making up rumours about players downing tools.
What this season has shown is that we are a very reactionary fan base. Whether that be after a defeat and everything is rubbish and it is all doom and gloom or after a win and then we are going to make the top 2.
As soon as Manning walked out and ripped apart the project it was always going to be a slightly slower climb to progress as a club and it is natural that we went backwards before we went forwards. Now though has shown that with a bit of patience then we could actually have a decent young manager on our hands.

Regardless we've seen enough now to be optimistic for next season with a summer to get in players who fit how he wants us to play. What I've been particularly impressed with is how adaptable he's showing himself to be, he clearly wants to play expansive, attacking football but is prudent enough to know when we need to be more solid and is capable of organising it as well.
Spot on - our biggest weakness at the moment is the lack of dynamism on the bench and Des deserves huge credit for how he's managed the energy available in the first team, when to press hard and when to hold back. I don't know how much he had to do with our rubbish January recruitment, but whatever league we're in next season, I'll be very excited to see how his tactically flexible approach will work when the squad hopefully has a lot more variation and strength in depth.

I think I got totally pissed off after the Bolton game. We had seemingly lost our chance of promotion in the most irritating way, having lost the robotic manning, to a home coming hero who seemed to be floundering with little support and little communication from the board. I am absolutely chuffed to bits the way Des has garnered control and influence, and sorry to him for being fed up on here. COYY

My position on Des hasn’t changed since Day One - he needs the support of an experienced assistant because the current two were of little help when it came to galvanising the team and sorting effective tactics during Des’ poor start.

He has done brilliantly to galvanise the squad and get the best out of pretty much all of the first XI. I think the only player who has gone backwards since he joined is RR. We almost blew our Top 2 position in what has been a fairly weak division overall. But he’s done incredibly well to get us over the line in recent weeks and I’m reasonably confident that he can gee up the side for one last push next Saturday where we’ll be clear underdogs.

One interesting bit about Des’ post-match interview on Sky last night - unless I missed it, he praised the players and fans but absolutely no mention of the Board, and I think this sums up how most of us felt a couple of months ago.

Absolutely Des really is winning over the fans the passion he showed last night was magnificent and was exactly what the team showed. You look at Peterborough they really have got one hell of a squad. Des really is sqeezing out every ounce out of ours. But like you say if we don't win at Wembley it won't be from the effort iam sure the team will try there best. But if wr do go up the squad will need one big overall rebuild. Even if we are still in league 1 ,I was just looking at the 2022/23 season wages for the championship, Rotherham were last with 10.5 million, Watford at the top with 49 million the average being about 26 million, Bristol City was 36 million. But an awesome few weeks gor Oxford. Well Done Des 👏

It’s a frankly astonishing turnaround. I echo others, after Bolton it was only going to go one of two ways, a new manager search or a turning point.

The changes at Vale were obvious and we’ve built on that every game since with new layers to our play now showing through. I personally loved the game management on display yesterday - it’s great to see we aren’t arrogant enough to ignore that this is part of the game and no matter how it looks, it was vital last night. It’s the ugly side of winning, but we’d all take that over playing champagne football and having our season over.

I can’t applaud Des enough for achieving the final from what appeared to be a point of no return, that takes real guts. I’m sure he questioned himself time after time and I suspect that’s a huge part of what was behind his emotion, not just his love for the club.

None of the observations of a few months ago were wrong in my view, just some have differing levels of patience and I think if he was sacked after Bolton there would be few who could argue it wasn’t warranted, even if it was early. Fortunately we didn’t and it’s been rewarded - I’m only too delighted to celebrate that and praise Des for getting us here by hook or by crook.

Bravo 👏🏼

It would have been insane to have sacked him after Bolton - and anyone still justifying it even in hindsight has little knowledge of football or how to manage people.

No way was it warranted -

Thank goodness the owners have more vision - and didn’t bring in one of those tired names with League 1experiemcd that we’re touted at the time

how sad that even today as we’re in the playoff final some are still claiming that knee jerk reaction was justified!

The irony for Buckingham is that the turning point for him and team was the Bolton game, he finally had the chance after that to make his own managerial call on the team instead of risking upsetting us after the good position Manning had put us in, pre Bolton we did look lost and unorganised, void of a game plan, Buckingham got a lot of stick, I was one of the most vocal for his dismissal, I hold my hands up to that and I saw no evidence to change my mind, but now I see how a Buckingham team works, cheers Bolton! Enjoy league One.

It would have been insane to have sacked him after Bolton - and anyone still justifying it even in hindsight has little knowledge of football or how to manage people.

No way was it warranted -

Thank goodness the owners have more vision - and didn’t bring in one of those tired names with League 1experiemcd that we’re touted at the time

how sad that even today as we’re in the playoff final some are still claiming that knee jerk reaction was justified!

Oh hindsight is a wonderful thing! I hold my hands up, I got Des wrong as did others but don’t pretend it was just the Bolton game - it was the lead up to it. The 5-0 thrashing was, if you like, the icing (or the burnt bit probably more apt!) on the cake but the run from Christmas, with the odd beating of bottom half dross, was very poor and allied with some of the most directionless, dreariest football we’ve witnessed in a number of seasons. Des has come good, in fact better than good he’s been superb but plenty of managers have fallen through the trap door for performing better than that run of ours post Christmas.

Fans who wanted him replaced, I think, had a valid enough argument at the time and doesn’t mean that they were a bunch of knee jerk idiots who know nothing about football. Knee jerk is a result or two, Des struggled to get any cohesion way beyond a result or two. Fantastic that the club saw the vision and supported him through this and here we are all rejoicing! The last ten games have been brilliant and a joy to see Des prove a fair few of us wrong! Well done, Des Buckingham!

Oh hindsight is a wonderful thing! I hold my hands up, I got Des wrong as did others but don’t pretend it was just the Bolton game - it was the lead up to it. The 5-0 thrashing was, if you like, the icing (or the burnt bit probably more apt!) on the cake but the run from Christmas, with the odd beating of bottom half dross, was very poor and allied with some of the most directionless, dreariest football we’ve witnessed in a number of seasons. Des has come good, in fact better than good he’s been superb but plenty of managers have fallen through the trap door for performing better than that run of ours post Christmas.

Fans who wanted him replaced, I think, had a valid enough argument at the time and doesn’t mean that they were a bunch of knee jerk idiots who know nothing about football. Knee jerk is a result or two, Des struggled to get any cohesion way beyond a result or two. Fantastic that the club saw the vision and supported him through this and here we are all rejoicing! The last ten games have been brilliant and a joy to see Des prove a fair few of us wrong! Well done, Des Buckingham!
That’s noble of you. And you weren’t alone. There was that poll that 70% wanted him sacked. It doesn’t matter now. We are all together

Back
Top Bottom