Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I'm also questioning why the sudden improvement. Perhaps the analyst joining full time is helping fine tune things, along with other appointments (Head of Performance) bearing fruit. Obviously the injury situation has largely improved as well. Nothing has been achieved yet, but from my point of view, the performance on Saturday gives us something to get behind over the summer regardless of which league we will be heading into in August (assuming we don't totally implode over the next 3 games).

I've been thinking about this myself - and I'm coming to the conclusion that up to and including Bolton, Des had his system and he was trying to fit our best XI footballers into that system regardless. But some players can be great footballers, but just not have the right skill set to fit into a particular way of playing.....and it wasn't until after Bolton that he got desperate enough to make some personnel changes.

The minor change was at the fullback position, where he went from the more talented duo (Stevens/Leigh) to the more defensive duo (Long/Bennett) and we looked a lot more solid, with our wingers having more freedom, as a result. Since Bennett's injury, Leigh has come back in and modified his play accordingly and has been terrific.

But the biggest change has been McGuane. Terrific footballer, great skills, great quality - and a perfect fit for Manning's 'possession at all costs' style. But DesBall requires speed of transition, getting the ball from back to front as quickly as possible so that the forwards have space to work in and do damage. And that's not McGuane's game - he just doesn't play the quick one touch pass or the long raking ball if there's a high risk of losing possession, and he can instead go back to his defense again or draw the foul.

Dropping him out of the squad entirely, and making him essentially third choice for the holding midfield role, was a big call but it's been shown to be absolutely the right one.

Either that.....or I'm over-thinking it. And it's just the fact that the fixture computer was kind in giving us five crap teams in our six games before Posh, and we've used those fixtures to get our confidence back!

yes dropping McGuane was a huge call.

Worth pointing out too that 8 of our last goals have come with Brannagan off the pitch

Now I genuinely feel bad and genuinely want to apologise. You've said and done nowt wrong. You've had an opinion which you have modified as new information has become available. That is what clever people do.
I’m only messing about - bloody difficult when not face to face isn’t it?? Absolutely no apologies necessary.

yes dropping McGuane was a huge call.

Worth pointing out too that 8 of our last goals have come with Brannagan off the pitch
Interesting that when re-introduced on Saturday he played as one of the 8s. How long have we been imploring managers to play him further forward? I also particularly liked the he was the first to get over to Bodin to celebrate his wonder goal.

Not sure what was meant in commentary by helping him with mental aspect of the game but if he can turn a corner in time for the play offs he could be a huge asset for us. He could play ahead of Goodrham when looking for some more solidarity (I.e. in the away leg).

Not sure what was meant in commentary by helping him with mental aspect of the game but if he can turn a corner in time for the play offs he could be a huge asset for us. He could play ahead of Goodrham when looking for some more solidarity (I.e. in the away leg).

No thank you - no changing the way we play right now for the sake of an opponent. It's working beautifully as it is.....just got to roll with it now for the remainder of the season.

But I wouldn't say no to McGuane on the bench. If we're hanging on to a one goal lead with 15 minutes left, then bringing him on in place of one of the AMs to slow things down and keep the ball could be crucial.

No thank you - no changing the way we play right now for the sake of an opponent. It's working beautifully as it is.....just got to roll with it now for the remainder of the season.

But I wouldn't say no to McGuane on the bench. If we're hanging on to a one goal lead with 15 minutes left, then bringing him on in place of one of the AMs to slow things down and keep the ball could be crucial.

Whilst I do agree with you. Don't muddle about with it too much. The thought of peak Cam or McGuane in the 8/10 roles is hard to ignore.

I think most will agree but worth noting that without injury to Moore and Brannagan on Saturday we wouldn’t have seen what was lying beneath and it’s now quite difficult to drop McEachran, Stevens and Long who all had good games. Those enforced changes make us feel instantly better about what we have to call on for the run-in.

I’d like to see McGuane in that bracket. I suspect if all goes well tomorrow he will start one of Stevenage or Exeter where it may happen for him. At his best he’s hard to leave out.

I think most will agree but worth noting that without injury to Moore and Brannagan on Saturday we wouldn’t have seen what was lying beneath and it’s now quite difficult to drop McEachran, Stevens and Long who all had good games. Those enforced changes make us feel instantly better about what we have to call on for the run-in.

I’d like to see McGuane in that bracket. I suspect if all goes well tomorrow he will start one of Stevenage or Exeter where it may happen for him. At his best he’s hard to leave out.

I don't think that, even at his best, McGuane fits Des' system.

If Tyler or RR pick up the ball, they have one thought in their head - 'Attack'. Sometimes they'll drive forwards, sometimes they'll play an early Hollywood ball, sometimes it won't come off but it's always aggressive. Cam is the same.

Having watched him for 100 games or so, I think McGuane has a different thought in his head. In a word, it's probably 'Mine'. He's all about keeping possession by whatever means necessary. And it worked beautifully in Manning's system but it doesn't fit Des'.

And I don't think you can change the way he thinks - which has developed over almost twenty years (he joined Arsenal's academy as an under-6). You certainly can't do it overnight.

So he'll certainly still have a role this season.....but I reckon it will be coming on to protect a lead. I don't think he'll start for us again (except maybe at Exeter, if all goes well this week)

I'm not worrying, I was firmly in the give Buckingham time camp, to stamp his progressive style on the team. I'm just pointing out that if those stats are correct , there will be times where we will be punished for giving teams that much possession.
Most of that possession was in front of us and easily managed.

I've been thinking about this myself - and I'm coming to the conclusion that up to and including Bolton, Des had his system and he was trying to fit our best XI footballers into that system regardless. But some players can be great footballers, but just not have the right skill set to fit into a particular way of playing.....and it wasn't until after Bolton that he got desperate enough to make some personnel changes.

The minor change was at the fullback position, where he went from the more talented duo (Stevens/Leigh) to the more defensive duo (Long/Bennett) and we looked a lot more solid, with our wingers having more freedom, as a result. Since Bennett's injury, Leigh has come back in and modified his play accordingly and has been terrific.

But the biggest change has been McGuane. Terrific footballer, great skills, great quality - and a perfect fit for Manning's 'possession at all costs' style. But DesBall requires speed of transition, getting the ball from back to front as quickly as possible so that the forwards have space to work in and do damage. And that's not McGuane's game - he just doesn't play the quick one touch pass or the long raking ball if there's a high risk of losing possession, and he can instead go back to his defense again or draw the foul.

Dropping him out of the squad entirely, and making him essentially third choice for the holding midfield role, was a big call but it's been shown to be absolutely the right one.

Either that.....or I'm over-thinking it. And it's just the fact that the fixture computer was kind in giving us five crap teams in our six games before Posh, and we've used those fixtures to get our confidence back!
I think Des had a problem in an ineffective central midfield two and also a drop off of form and effectiveness from the number 10 role. Looks like hes solved both problems by adding an extra 10 role from one of the central midfielders.

If Brannagan is fit, he has to play.
However well Mceachran played Saturday, 2 games in 4 days is asking a lot of someone. Who’s not played frequently or proved can cope with a short recovery time.
Then rethink Friday or following Saturday.

I'm not worrying, I was firmly in the give Buckingham time camp, to stamp his progressive style on the team. I'm just pointing out that if those stats are correct , there will be times where we will be punished for giving teams that much possession.

We were excellent out of possession, which made a lot of that 70% ineffective.

We seemed to strike at the right moment and hit them hard with our own possession.

I don't think that, even at his best, McGuane fits Des' system.

If Tyler or RR pick up the ball, they have one thought in their head - 'Attack'. Sometimes they'll drive forwards, sometimes they'll play an early Hollywood ball, sometimes it won't come off but it's always aggressive. Cam is the same.

Having watched him for 100 games or so, I think McGuane has a different thought in his head. In a word, it's probably 'Mine'. He's all about keeping possession by whatever means necessary. And it worked beautifully in Manning's system but it doesn't fit Des'.

And I don't think you can change the way he thinks - which has developed over almost twenty years (he joined Arsenal's academy as an under-6). You certainly can't do it overnight.

So he'll certainly still have a role this season.....but I reckon it will be coming on to protect a lead. I don't think he'll start for us again (except maybe at Exeter, if all goes well this week)
The thing with Ruben and Tyler though is that they have the ability to nutmeg a poor soul under pressure and drive thru the gap in to the next 3rd of the pitch. Playing them both centrally with Josh Mac was the main reason for me why we created so much on Saturday. It’s hard to know whether to press hard or drop vs these two. That really affects defensive shape and discipline for the opposing team. At times they resorted to street football and credit to Des for giving them that freedom.

Cam has the ability to switch a 60 yard ball to the opposite flank, but I associate him with a control mentality in the same way as mcguane.

The thing with Ruben and Tyler though is that they have the ability to nutmeg a poor soul under pressure and drive thru the gap in to the next 3rd of the pitch. Playing them both centrally with Josh Mac was the main reason for me why we created so much on Saturday. It’s hard to know whether to press hard or drop vs these two. That really affects defensive shape and discipline for the opposing team. At times they resorted to street football and credit to Des for giving them that freedom.

Cam has the ability to switch a 60 yard ball to the opposite flank, but I associate him with a control mentality in the same way as mcguane.

Agree wholeheartedly about Tyler and Ruben.

Can't agree about Cam though. He doesn't drive very often the way Tyler & Ruben do, but I wouldn't just say that he has the ability to switch a 60 yard ball. I'd say he has an addiction to it. Given the choice between pinging one of those, or passing back to the defensive line to keep possession, I reckon Cam is going Hollywood 90% of the time. With McGuane, it's <10%.

McEachran on Saturday, though, was a glorious mix of high difficulty through balls and clever flicks and touches on to his midfield colleagues. I've worried about his mobility at times this season, but his positioning was spot on at the weekend. His best performance in yellow by a country mile. If he keeps that up, he's going to give Des some mighty tough decisions to make.

We were excellent out of possession, which made a lot of that 70% ineffective.

We seemed to strike at the right moment and hit them hard with our own possession.
I can't put into words how much I enjoyed Saturday. The win was emphatic, but I loved the style of it as well. Ultimately we all want winning football, but if you gave me the choice, I'd pick winning a game with 30% possession where you cut through the opposition at pace, over having 70% possession where you spend the majority of time slowly moving the ball around and trying to pull the opposition out of place. Of course, the best teams have multiple ways to score goals and win games, and it'll be interesting to see what we do if a team turn up and sit deep.

Agree wholeheartedly about Tyler and Ruben.

Can't agree about Cam though. He doesn't drive very often the way Tyler & Ruben do, but I wouldn't just say that he has the ability to switch a 60 yard ball. I'd say he has an addiction to it. Given the choice between pinging one of those, or passing back to the defensive line to keep possession, I reckon Cam is going Hollywood 90% of the time. With McGuane, it's <10%.

McEachran on Saturday, though, was a glorious mix of high difficulty through balls and clever flicks and touches on to his midfield colleagues. I've worried about his mobility at times this season, but his positioning was spot on at the weekend. His best performance in yellow by a country mile. If he keeps that up, he's going to give Des some mighty tough decisions to make.
It's going to be ironic isn't it that if we make it to the playoffs (and win them of course) Jake McEachran - brought back to Oxford by Liam manning and abandoned by him after a few games before Manning himself fucked off to Bristol City- will have been pivotal - thanks to Des Buckingham.

In fact it's thanks to two Manning rejects (both with the initials JM) that we're in this position, Josh Murphy and Josh McEachran

It's going to be ironic isn't it that if we make it to the playoffs (and win them of course) Jake McEachran - brought back to Oxford by Liam manning and abandoned by him after a few games before Manning himself fucked off to Bristol City- will have been pivotal - thanks to Des Buckingham.

In fact it's thanks to two Manning rejects (both with the initials JM) that we're in this position, Josh Murphy and Josh McEachran

Who is this mystery Jake you mention ?

Do you know something we don’t, or are you just Joshing around with us ?

Back
Top Bottom