Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

If Brannagan is fit, he has to play.
However well Mceachran played Saturday, 2 games in 4 days is asking a lot of someone. Who’s not played frequently or proved can cope with a short recovery time.
Then rethink Friday or following Saturday.
I don't get that at all, I would start with the same team if all fit, and the go to the subs if required Brannagan included. think I would be pretty pissed off after that display if I was dropped.

yes dropping McGuane was a huge call.

Worth pointing out too that 8 of our last goals have come with Brannagan off the pitch
I have made a similar allusion before and that is to remember that these players also got us in the relegation mess last season notwithstanding KR meltdown or really liking them anyway.

It's a pointed criticism as if having something to do with sport per se is an inadequate qualification for a football coach/manager!

Unless people were born football managers they have to have done something before being a football manager. Ex footballer was previously the path but as the job has got a bit more complex the preferred route now seems to be people who started coaching young after not making it as a pro, a route which our last 5 managers have come from but Buckingham seemed to be singled out for.

It's a pointed criticism as if having something to do with sport per se is an inadequate qualification for a football coach/manager!
Danny Cowley too I think was a PE teacher before he joined Braintree, Lincoln, Huddersfield and Colchester

They come from similar backgrounds- the amount of information a coach has to be on top of these days, and the range of people they need to interact with means that the days of Harry Redknapp and Big Sam are over.

Mousinho, the most recent ex-player to become a mananger is a very different kettle of fish - had a football (soccer) scholarship to the University of Notre Dame before playing professionally and his role as chair of the PFA meant he had considerable off the pitch responsibilty before moving to Portsmouth

They come from similar backgrounds- the amount of information a coach has to be on top of these days, and the range of people they need to interact with means that the days of Harry Redknapp and Big Sam are over.

Mousinho, the most recent ex-player to become a mananger is a very different kettle of fish - had a football (soccer) scholarship to the University of Notre Dame before playing professionally and his role as chair of the PFA meant he had considerable off the pitch responsibilty before moving to Portsmouth
Think you’ve done Big Sam dirty with that comparison, he was generally accepted to be quite far ahead of his time on data.

He was also coaching here and on the backroom staff before he went to Portsmouth, as well as being a senior player at his last few clubs, the sort of player who will most likely stay on in the game in some form. Also, with the greatest of respect to him, he is not a big name ex pro, he actually had the sort of career a lot of previous mangers had, good but not top level, he was very much not a household name.

He was also coaching here and on the backroom staff before he went to Portsmouth, as well as being a senior player at his last few clubs, the sort of player who will most likely stay on in the game in some form. Also, with the greatest of respect to him, he is not a big name ex pro, he actually had the sort of career a lot of previous mangers had, good but not top level, he was very much not a household name.
Also he doesn't come over like an ordinary footballer, he's really articulate and seems very intelligent - he was clearly going to be a manager.

Given the chat on managerial styles, it will be interesting to see how Parkinson fares next season - from cursory watches of the Wrexham documentaries he seems old school, lots of shouting and swearing. He's had three years with way bigger budgets than his competitors and getting players to drop down a level accordingly. His budget will probably rise again but he has an aging team with a distinct lack of pace and a lot more progressive managers in the opposition.

Now seems as good a time as any to reflect on 3 home games of DesBall in 7 days.

When it's good, it's really bloody good. That Peterborough performance is one of the best Oxford performances I recall seeing in years. Not just the scoreline but the manner of the victory - fast, exciting but skillful football. However, I think it's fair to say they completely played into our hands that day.

I think the challenge was always going to be what happened when we faced more pragmatic and experienced sides, like Lincoln and Stevenage. Now we've had 2 games where we're talking about how the referee changed the game, rather than us being in charge of our own fate.

We are very well set up to break at pace down the wings and to play sides like Peterborough who want to dominate possession. Where things fall down is when the opposition sit deeper and double up on our wingers, waste time and try and make things physical.

I think we badly missed a player exactly like Goodwin this week. We needed that option both tonight and on Tuesday to give us another dimension. The last two games also showed we're missing that physicality in midfield as well as better distribution at the back.

I do think there is a lot of potential there for Buckingham to be a success for us, but the options in the squad just aren't there at the moment.

It’s got the latter half of MApp’s first season about it. Some of the pieces are in place but not all of them.

You feel with another window, we may be getting closer to what DB wants. We can also offload a lot of expensive contracts when the season ends too.

Last edited:
I think we badly missed a player exactly like Goodwin this week. We needed that option both tonight and on Tuesday to give us another dimension. The last two games also showed we're missing that physicality in midfield as well as better distribution at the back.

I do think there is a lot of potential there for Buckingham to be a success for us, but the options in the squad just aren't there at the moment.
I hope we can get Goodwin in good shape over summer to have him ready to hit the ground running at the start of next season, and whilst it's right to bemoan the lack of Goodwin in this game, I think it's at least a little bit encouraging that the sort of player we're missing is someone we've brought into the building under Des.

I think Dale is a good example of what can happen when we get these signings right, which does give me hope for the summer ahead with the style of play becoming evident in the last few weeks.

Last edited:
I hope we can get Goodwin in good shape over summer to have him ready to hit the ground running at the start of next season, and whilst it's right to bemoan the lack of Goodwin in this game, I think it's at least a little bit encouraging that the sort of player we're missing is someone we've brought into the building under Des.

I think Dale is a good example of what can happen when we get these signings right, which does give me hope for the summer ahead with the style of play becoming evident in the last few weeks.
Larny???

It’s got the latter half of MApp’s first season about it. Some of the pieces are in place but not all of them.

You feel with another window, we may be getting closer to what DB wants. We can also offload a lot of expensive contracts when the season ends too.
None of the January window was his choice,they was recruitment & Manning's

Back
Top Bottom