Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Equally though if PP is granted then that will mask a whole load of deficiencies on the managerial side. It will engulf the club for a period of time and by the time the excitement subsides we will have completely forgotten about the mess we made of season 23/4.
Alternatively, if PP is granted they may actually decide to now turn their attention to the footballing side and protect their substantial investment in Des a bit better by giving him the structure around him that he so clearly and desperately needs.

Nobody ever claimed he was the finished article or that he doesn't have a lot to learn, or that he is currently making some big mistakes, but he's also currently being hung out to dry, and you and several others seem more than happy for him to carry the entire blame for this, whilst letting others off scot free. That's the bit that doesn't add up from my perspective.

Am I enjoying the football we are playing under Buckingham? No.

Will I renew for next season even if he is still manager? Yes.

Do I actually understand why? No !!!

Probably about right. In my 53 years supporting the club if I'd abandoned them every time we had a crap manager then I think I'd have missed about 30 years of football!

Alternatively, if PP is granted they may actually decide to now turn their attention to the footballing side and protect their substantial investment in Des a bit better by giving him the structure around him that he so clearly and desperately needs.

Nobody ever claimed he was the finished article or that he doesn't have a lot to learn, or that he is currently making some big mistakes, but he's also currently being hung out to dry, and you and several others seem more than happy for him to carry the entire blame for this, whilst letting others off scot free. That's the bit that doesn't add up from my perspective.
No one has suggested he's the finished article but it's like halting a grand prix when your F1 car is on the tail of the leader and replacing it with a Nissan Micra with 'L' plates on.

Wrong man, wrong time, wrong club.

So you’re speaking to the players are you? You’re an ITK it that because a mate of yours knows a postman who delivers post to someone’s great granny who gets her pension from the same post office as a granny of one of the under 10’s.
If you're speaking to any of the players, can you please tell them from me that any of them that want to go elsewhere in the summer are welcome to leave.

Robinson lost the plot and got nastier and more unhinged during his last 12 months here. Des seems out of his depth and plainly its not working out..... BUT the players don't get a free pass. Over the last two years - from just about the Ipswich game two years ago this weekend - we've been woeful:

Pld - 92
W - 30
D - 25
L - 37
F - 118
A - 119
GD - -1
Pts - 115

That includes the over performing (and credit to snake) run from 5 August - 31 October last year. What it means is that this group of players have bottled being in a strong position two years out of three. They bottled a playoff SF tie against Blackpool and a playoff final against Wycombe.

We've had poor / unhinged / under performing / settling in and doing just enough managers during that time and time is up for Des as he doesn't seem to have the experience / managerial skills to get a grip on the dressing room and getting results, but eff me, any of these players can do one too. Who the hell do they think they are.

Sorry Grumpy Git, this reply was supposed to be to someone else.

Last edited:
I have supported the club for 76yrs, will i be renewing my season ticket, of course i will, i have seen it all over the years, the ups and downs, Oxford Utd are very much a big part of my life, i will be 85 in a few weeks and still go to as many games home and away as my health allows. I dont care if they were playing over the Leys i would still want to be there. So i say to those who say they wont be renewing next season if Buckingham is still here, do you support the club or not because if you do you have a funny way of showing it.
Fair play; makes my 58 years support seem like a passing fancy!
Good job many of us don’t b*gger off at the first sign of trouble.
We’ll be back next season in the same seats in the East Stand. Buckingham or no Buckingham.

Des needs three things:

1. More time
2. More money
3. More respect

The Des bashers can go and support Knobinson's Salford City if they miss his style of management so much. They've got absolutely no clue when it comes to football management - some of us who have managed football teams know how hard it is to come on board and deliver immediate change.
You’re Des Buckingham and I claim my £10🤣

Whatever happens we’ve got to see a significant upturn in the performances before making any decisions for the future I’d say. Let’s get these 8 games, hopefully 11 games done and dusted first!!

Am I enjoying the football we are playing under Buckingham? No.

Will I renew for next season even if he is still manager? Yes.

Do I actually understand why? No !!!
The weird magic of football encapsulated in three sentences

He got ridiculed for not naming the players.
He has since named the 3 players and with that, those 3 players will get rightly dogs abuse for showing so much disrespect to the club.
Some fan bases would be booing these 3 everytime they touched the ball on Saturday but I can’t see that happening with out fans.

Unless @Leysboy now wants to say he made a mistake and they haven’t down tools then surely we take it as the truth because why else would someone openly name the players?

No I haven’t made a mistake. They downed tools long ago, as far back as tail end of November.

I think you'll find that Leysboy was (laregely) ridiculed for not naming the players, but continuously banging on about it.

Often happens to people desperate to want to seem ITK, regardless what side they're on.

Not “wanting” to be about it. It’s true. I didn’t name them originally because I didn’t see it necessary, but after the Bolton game, and previous results, it seemed the right time.

The manager is to blame though, you can see it in the players faces, they don’t believe in him, and are not performing for him anymore.

Lose to Port Vale, and we might see a Clotet moment after the Bury game. Well I hope so.

It's on them, You claimed they haven't been performing for "him" ie for Oxford Unired for months. You said we had lost between 10 and 12 points as a result of their lack of commitment . Assuming that it's no more than that we would be 4th or 5th - still firmly in the play off places if they were doing their jobs

Yes, my mistake.

What made you support OUFC sufficiently to buy a ST in KR's last season, when we knew what was happening behind the scenes, but you won't be supporting the manager and players this time around? Your posts insinuated that it is due to the manager...yet you've said that you've had a ST for 20 years, and so in that time have supported the final year under a bloke that was completely undermining the football club that you support.

Can't understand it, personally.
Many fans renewed before the Malaga training camp and summer window, before all the gossip came out about him Knobbing around the ladies team. You may well have been ITK about these matters, many of us weren’t. You can’t criticise anyone for renewing early for what was to be his final season. For what it’s worth I think there will be many holding back on renewals if Buckingham is still there at the end of the season.

Not “wanting” to be about it. It’s true. I didn’t name them originally because I didn’t see it necessary, but after the Bolton game, and previous results, it seemed the right time.

The manager is to blame though, you can see it in the players faces, they don’t believe in him, and are not performing for him anymore.

Lose to Port Vale, and we might see a Clotet moment after the Bury game. Well I hope so.
If you are right about those players they should go not the manager as they are cheating club and fans
Ps who told you they aren't trying if true surely club can sack them if this is what they are telling people

How is he currently being hung out to dry?

Utter nonsense. You can't have it both ways.

Not that I believe a word of it anyway.

He got ridiculed for not naming the players.
He has since named the 3 players and with that, those 3 players will get rightly dogs abuse for showing so much disrespect to the club.
Some fan bases would be booing these 3 everytime they touched the ball on Saturday but I can’t see that happening with out fans.

Unless @Leysboy now wants to say he made a mistake and they haven’t down tools then surely we take it as the truth because why else would someone openly name the players?

It's also very convenient to name players who's form has dropped off and use this to justify the allegations that they want Buckingham out.

McGuane has been consistently inconsistent since arriving at Oxford, and that's why he's in league one rather than Arsenal/Barca/Forest. His excellent starts then fades have happened for years before Des rocked up.

Rodrigues was also in and out of games at the beginning of the season. When he was in, he was on fire, but he had a few ineffective games too. He also thrives on playing in the space between attack and midfield or playing balls in to space for the forward to run on to. We've barely created that space or opportunity for him to shine.

Bodin? That man has played for a dozen more dysfunctional managers during his career. Why down tools now?

And just as importantly, does anyone think that these players have rushed over to slag Buckingham off to the fans between signing autographs and hi fiving Ollie the Ox? McGuane? The quietest man in the squad?

It's all a load of B*****s.

Not entirely it isn’t. This is the second time a lot of players have seemingly downed tools, regardless of whether it’s malicious or merely a psychological weakness, in 12 months. They’re now developing form for this. I happen to believe it’s the case that too many players have been here too long, and have gone stale after what happened last season.

I understood it with Robinson because of the utter chaos behind the scenes, and the fact that he was burning the entire club down around him, but for any player to do it a second time is unforgivable. Especially when they proved in between that they can actually perform and put a shift in, providing they fancy it.

Buckingham has made mistakes and it’s looking like he’s doomed at this point, but it’s a disgrace that so many players seem to require their bottoms being stroked in exactly the right way, by exactly the right person, in order to perform adequately, let alone well.

The culture is rotten and, frankly, there are a good few players who need showing the door ASAP, because too many of them have proven they’re losers and layabouts.

Not entirely it isn’t. This is the second time a lot of players have seemingly downed tools, regardless of whether it’s malicious or merely a psychological weakness, in 12 months. They’re now developing form for this.

I understood it with Robinson because of the utter chaos behind the scenes, and the fact that he was burning the entire club down around him, but for any player to do it a second time is unforgivable. Especially when they proved in between that they can actually perform and put a shift in, providing they fancy it.

Buckingham has made mistakes and it’s looking like he’s doomed at this point, but it’s a disgrace that so many players seem to require their bottoms being stroked in exactly the right way, by exactly the right person, in order to perform adequately, let alone well.

The culture is rotten and, frankly, there are a good few players who need showing the door ASAP, because too many of them have proven they’re losers and layabouts.

We are a bit like a s**t Man U, staring to become obvious why we have never pushed on any further than league one with this core of players.

Like you say Buckingham is probably gone, but so should most of this group, they have to much quit in them, they are to quick to look or the easy way out.

Probably doesn't help that the club peddles bullshit about lack of atmosphere effecting the players, this squad don't need more excuses.

Many fans renewed before the Malaga training camp and summer window, before all the gossip came out about him Knobbing around the ladies team. You may well have been ITK about these matters, many of us weren’t. You can’t criticise anyone for renewing early for what was to be his final season. For what it’s worth I think there will be many holding back on renewals if Buckingham is still there at the end of the season.

I'm not criticising anyone for supporting the club. I'm merely questioning the timing of the withdrawal of ST support. Seems strange.

As for KR, by the time of the Malaga trip the mental dismantling of Dan Agyei was already well under way and in the pubic domain. Meanwhile, he hadn't changed agencies and the correlation between our signings and that organisation was there for all to see.

So, when you put it into the melting pot you had a manager that was publicly criticising his players, had failed to get into the pay offs and the agency oddity vs. Now, where you have a local guy who has struggled for results in his first 20 odd games (see Appleton for comparison) but has unrelentingly supported the players in public and is acting with great dignity in the face of a chaotic period behind the scenes at the club.

Why would now be the time to turn your back on the club and not buy a season ticket?

I think some need to take a bloody good look at the players. These players have previous for downing tools - see Q1 last year! They either have incredibly soft underbellies or; they are not actually quite as good as some on here might believe. The way in which the players seem to be getting a largely free pass is unforgivable. A majority of this playing group are repeated failures at this club. That isn't Buckingham, that is on THEM.

We have a club captain that appears to be mute when the going gets tough and we have a keen angler that is all to quick to slate the manager and regime in the background, but will perceive this great loyalty and shame at Monday's result in the public domain. The players absolutely stink.

Back
Top Bottom