Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Once the players down tools, and you lose large chunks of the fanbase. It only ends with one outcome.

It’s an ideal time to pull the trigger in my opinion. We know we are safe, and we have time to do a proper process, and let’s say 4 games before the end of the season. It would give the new manager a chance to see who he wants to keep, and has the whole summer to bring in players, that he feels we need to build a balanced squad.

I’d happily take Short until the change is made. Mike Duff is very appealing.
Appoint the right person and we could still get playoffs and promotion.

We probably still need to wait a few days for last nights result to filter through to the Chairman…

I would agree. As I said elsewhere he’s either injured or couldn’t give a toss about playing at OUFC, whatever that reason might be.
I can only base my judgement on what I’ve seen and from that I don’t want him anywhere near our side as poor as it is.
Or, he is being coached wrong or asked to do an unfamiliar role. No doubting his true abilities if fully fit. Putting him in the team without Brannagan & MM in there could bring out the best in him.

Or, he is being coached wrong or asked to do an unfamiliar role. No doubting his true abilities if fully fit. Putting him in the team without Brannagan & MM in there could bring out the best in him.
I’d play him instead of McGuane for the rest of the season.

All the pro Buckingham supporters are very quite, I called it very early that he was out of his depth and got shot down by certain posters, it was almost a form of snobbery, the mere mention of questioning the golden boy Des. I get the fact that injuries hampered his preparations, but there hasn't been any Buckingham brand of play to digest since his arrival, it's been very poor to say the least, I'm sure Des is a decent chap and it has never been any personal, but for the love of God he has to seriously be questioned now about his ability from board, surely?

I can understand why people think he should be sacked, but I still think he needs another window. If he has issues with players, he can get rid and bring in others. The new signings will be up to 100% fitness and there will be time to get his plans into action.

If there is no improvement by about 8 games in next season then yeah. p45 time
That was exactly my thinking in a poll on here last month. Give him the summer plus an experienced coach and assistant.

Essentially, the only change in that view is that we’ve gone downhill further, plus the club clearly have no intention of giving him backroom support.

We’re now so easy to predict and play against, plus a handful of players look like they’re resigned to our fate, and now I wouldn’t give Des beyond the next game at the most, unless we improve dramatically in that game.

That was exactly my thinking in a poll on here last month. Give him the summer plus an experienced coach and assistant.

Essentially, the only change in that view is that we’ve gone downhill further, plus the club clearly have no intention of giving him backroom support.

We’re now so easy to predict and play against, plus a handful of players look like they’re resigned to our fate, and now I wouldn’t give Des beyond the next game at the most, unless we improve dramatically in that game.

Yeah, another game like last night and it's curtains for him

The thing is, I think it’s worse than we might imagine.

I hear lots of spiel about being coached, having a plan etc, but I actually believe that if the players were simply just motivated and had a little clarity (a manningism) they would be a damn sight better than we are seeing. I am in no doubt that we have good players, so it must be a f*****g rotten environment to work in!

Failure to get a positive result against port vale (.a win ) then he should be gone first thing Sunday morning imo I'm prepared to give him Saturday see if he can get a tune from these players see if he has the balls to drop the ones that aren't performing to an acceptable standard

Let's see the proof will be in the pudding as they say
He’s not going anywhere, so get used to it

No disrespect, everyone is entitled to their opinion but, if the club wait that long, there will be major difficulties in recruiting the right candidates and, the squad will be what it is at that juncture.
End of this season is the time to pull the trigger. With, a short list of candidates ready to hand.
I’m nervous about leaving it to the end of the season. My worry is keeping a manager who has demonstrated a complete disconnect with the players will only allow the rot to set in and spread and it’s a matter of time before agents start smelling blood and we lose control of a window before it’s even begun. We’ve done this dance before and our ponderous decision making left us a nat’s hair off relegation - a game or two later and we were gone. Whilst there’s no immediate risk to us now, it will affect summer transfers and more importantly the mindset of the fans if we go out with the inevitable whimper. I’d happily let him see out the season if there were any green shoots but last night we went past the point of no return. He’s lost a lot of his supporters now and I’d imagine that is true inside the club as well as the fans. Horrible for him, but it’s not worked. He isn’t rescuing that dressing room unless 2 thirds of it is shipped out to give him a blank canvas. I can’t see any reason to back him to that extent unfortunately and the writing is on the wall. We should’ve learned to be more decisive by now.

I’m nervous about leaving it to the end of the season. My worry is keeping a manager who has demonstrated a complete disconnect with the players will only allow the rot to set in and spread and it’s a matter of time before agents start smelling blood and we lose control of a window before it’s even begun. We’ve done this dance before and our ponderous decision making left us a nat’s hair off relegation - a game or two later and we were gone. Whilst there’s no immediate risk to us now, it will affect summer transfers and more importantly the mindset of the fans if we go out with the inevitable whimper. I’d happily let him see out the season if there were any green shoots but last night we went past the point of no return. He’s lost a lot of his supporters now and I’d imagine that is true inside the club as well as the fans. Horrible for him, but it’s not worked. He isn’t rescuing that dressing room unless 2 thirds of it is shipped out to give him a blank canvas. I can’t see any reason to back him to that extent unfortunately and the writing is on the wall. We should’ve learned to be more decisive by now.
You make a valid point with agents. That is a worry if players, as some on here have alluded to, are unhappy and possibly want away.
Talking of agents, I wonder how many are reviewing CV's of potential head coaches?

I'm going to say the same thing I said last week - while Des has looked completely out of his depth, and now appears to be losing/have lost the dressing room.....I still can't see him getting fired this side of ~October.

And that has nothing to do with his competence and suitability for the job.

In November, our senior management team went to our owners and asked for multiple hundreds of thousands to buy Des out of his City Group contract. This is twelve months after they waited way, way too long to fire Robinson and almost got us relegated as a result. Now, four months later, people expect that they're going to go back to Bakrie/Thohir and ask for several more hundreds of thousands to sack him and pay him off? Unless they are incredibly generous and understanding billionaires (which seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me) then that level of incompetence is surely a sackable offense (even though they got the Manning hire right.....in the short term at least).

Just not sure I see it happening.

Best case scenario for me is that Ferguson (who does seem like the most clued in of the senior management) decides to pin the myriad on-field failures on TW, persuades the board to fire him, and they then bring in a new CEO that's not just a spreadsheet jockey, a senior football man as DoF and an experienced Assistant Manager to support Des. Maybe then, with a proper support structure, he can deliver better.

But I think we've sunk far too much into Des to fire him now without everybody's head rolling (and Bakrie/Thohir don't seem personally engaged enough to go for a complete spring clean).

I'm going to say the same thing I said last week - while Des has looked completely out of his depth, and now appears to be losing/have lost the dressing room.....I still can't see him getting fired this side of ~October.

And that has nothing to do with his competence and suitability for the job.

In November, our senior management team went to our owners and asked for multiple hundreds of thousands to buy Des out of his City Group contract. This is twelve months after they waited way, way too long to fire Robinson and almost got us relegated as a result. Now, four months later, people expect that they're going to go back to Bakrie/Thohir and ask for several more hundreds of thousands to sack him and pay him off? Unless they are incredibly generous and understanding billionaires (which seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me) then that level of incompetence is surely a sackable offense (even though they got the Manning hire right.....in the short term at least).

Just not sure I see it happening.

Best case scenario for me is that Ferguson (who does seem like the most clued in of the senior management) decides to pin the myriad on-field failures on TW, persuades the board to fire him, and they then bring in a new CEO that's not just a spreadsheet jockey, a senior football man as DoF and an experienced Assistant Manager to support Des. Maybe then, with a proper support structure, he can deliver better.

But I think we've sunk far too much into Des to fire him now without everybody's head rolling (and Bakrie/Thohir don't seem personally engaged enough to go for a complete spring clean).
Supporters will start voting with their feet soon, if Buckingham continues to fail and is still in dugout come next season, we could be looking at one of our lowest season ticket sales, quite a gamble from the board.

I can understand why people think he should be sacked, but I still think he needs another window. If he has issues with players, he can get rid and bring in others. The new signings will be up to 100% fitness and there will be time to get his plans into action.

If there is no improvement by about 8 games in next season then yeah. p45 time
So in such a scenario a new head coach could be appointed around the end of September and be asked to get the best out of players signed by Buckingham in the summer who in his view mightn’t be up to it. Doesn’t seem very satisfactory at all.

Back
Top Bottom