Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Yes we would, teams start well and drop off over a season because they aren’t good enough to sustain it. Which is what has happened to us. Just because I support Oxford United doesn’t mean I remain blinkered and can’t call out what in my view are facts backed up with stats. Check XG, Check clean sheets. We are probably midtable for both. We are not good enough consistently & over a long season, carrying passengers who don’t contribute anything will cost you & that’s exactly what has happened.
Yes but the point is we were good enough to be 2nd under Manning and then weren’t god enough under a much less competent experienced manager.

Yes we would, teams start well and drop off over a season because they aren’t good enough to sustain it. Which is what has happened to us. Just because I support Oxford United doesn’t mean I remain blinkered and can’t call out what in my view are facts backed up with stats. Check XG, Check clean sheets. We are probably midtable for both. We are not good enough consistently & over a long season, carrying passengers who don’t contribute anything will cost you & that’s exactly what has happened.
Port Vale and Exeter were both up there with us at the start as well, they dropped off big time.

Oh for goodness sake, he has only ever not been a crap coach at a very very low level of football.

As someone else has said, it’s like getting the job of a chef at a top restaurant for nor being crap at flipping burgers.
That’s absolute garbage, whatever the level you still need to be able to manage and win football matches, he’s been a success wherever he’s been whether that’s at Morrells Oxford Sunday league, conference South, Indian premier or English Premiership, although different levels still needs expertise coaching/managing experience, he is part of the City coaching network, I wouldn’t say that’s Mickey Mouse, would you Smith????

Who we'd get is always going to be the question ? There are always managers available or poachable. Are you suggesting there is not one attainable manager out there who could do a better job than Des Buckingham ? Really ?
Not at all - I’m saying if Des goes there’s no guarantee the next guy will do any better!!

You are right he’s had a lot of failures. A couple of basket case clubs too. ie Portsmouth at the time. Blackburn with the Venky issues. Blackpool had problems.

I still say Appleton is a better coach to Des.

I don’t think he would get the job if he applied here, and I think it should go to someone more experienced like a Nigel Pearson.
The Nigel Pearson who snake replaced? - No thanks!

Our budget must be top four. We are underachieving. Little Stevenage do well on a much smaller budget, but they have a good Manager. Say what you like about Evans he knows how to build a team.

For the record I can’t stand him, and haven’t since those Boston days.
Our budget may be Top 4. However that's made up of players who were here already, and are on over inflated contracts that Robinson dished out while Williams played Tiddlywinks. Thus why im happy to give Des the summer when he can get rid of all of these over inflated contracts. If he is then not good enough, I'll join you in calling for him to leave but he deserves & will get a summer transfer window.

Yet we were starting to tale off while the staffing structure was ripped apart and not replaced efficiently.

Even if Manning had stayed we were never going to keep up the form of the first 10 games and many pundits were saying as much. Wigan away was one of the most dull, uninspiring performances I’ve seen from an Oxford side in a long time and that was when Manning was still here.

Laughable.

Wigan away wasn’t great but it wasn’t a patch on at least eight Oxford games I’ve seen under Des Buckingham. Cheltenham away, Peterborough away, Reading away, Orient at home, Northampton at home, Reading at home, Wycombe away. Say what you like about a Manning team, you knew exactly how they were going to play or try and play. We got a point or two in some of those games I mention but the 90 minute performances were more directionless and spineless than anything Manning served up - Wigan included.

Laughable.

Wigan away wasn’t great but it wasn’t a patch on at least eight Oxford games I’ve seen under Des Buckingham. Cheltenham away, Peterborough away, Reading away, Orient at home, Northampton at home, Reading at home, Wycombe away. Say what you like about a Manning team, you knew exactly how they were going to play or try and play. We got a point or two in some of those games I mention but the 90 minute performances were more directionless and spineless than anything Manning served up - Wigan included.
Not forgetting Manning v Cambridge of course 😳

Or MK Dons

Or Port Vale

Pretty dire performances from.a team with most first choice 11 players available .

Last edited:
Yes not every game was good under Manning but there were alot of good performances . And we had a style that we played. I know this is a hyperthetical question but do most fans think we would have more points than we gave now.? and down to managers available there were loads with experience Jones who has gone to Charlton for one .

Not forgetting Manning v Cambridge of course 😳

Or MK Dons

Or Port Vale

Pretty dire performances from.a team with most first choice 11 players available .

I’m not so sure those performances were as dire as we’ve seen under Des. Port Vale, for one, was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. There’s been too many indifferent performances under DB, they were way more sporadic under Manning. The problem under DB is that we are getting worse - individuals look lost, he looks and sounds clueless and the team is shambolic.

Yes not every game was good under Manning but there were alot of good performances . And we had a style that we played. I know this is a hyperthetical question but do most fans think we would have more points than we gave now.? and down to managers available there were loads with experience Jones who has gone to Charlton for one .
I watched that Blackburn v Newcastle game last night and that made me wonder if there was ever a realistic chance of getting Eustace. Blackburn were fantastic - energetic, quick in defence and attack, incisive and a joy to watch. There will be a few ruing the missed opportunity with Eustace but not really sure we were ever in with a shout.

Probably/possibly on the points, but those extra points would be more down to continuity of the coaching team than anything else, because I think the injuries in the squad were the biggest factor.

You often see a new manager bounce when someone comes in to replace a manager sacked for poor results. The opposite can also be true for a manager brought in to replace a manager who has been poached because of good results and there's a significant change in the coaching team too.

That job is made even.harder if (as we are led to believe by certain posters on here) that some of the senior players are sulking and not performing for the new manager because "he wasn't their choice"

I can hardly believe that senior professional players would purposefully shoot themselves in the foot, scupper our promotion chances into the bargain and lessen their own value as a result. It is juvenile, petulant and counter-intuative to their own career development as a footballer🤷‍♂️

I’m not so sure those performances were as dire as we’ve seen under Des. Port Vale, for one, was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. There’s been too many indifferent performances under DB, they were way more sporadic under Manning. The problem under DB is that we are getting worse - individuals look lost, he looks and sounds clueless and the team is shambolic.
Totally agree by now with players returning and the time he has had and a better looking squad than Manning started with just over 1 point per game and let's be honest after Portsmouth Saturday will almost certainly be 20 points from 20 games . How many more points should we have ,and the performances have been dire. Let's hope they improve because Des wants more vocal backing and if the performances and points ratio carries on I think it will become more vocal.

Back
Top Bottom