Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

He’s been with teams in Nee Zealand and India eho wouldn’t even make the bottom rung of the EFL ffs.

It’s like me saying I’ve never failed with a pub team.
Out of interest what has Des done to you for you to dislike him this much? Seems odd to not like a manager this much who only has been in the door for 4 months.

Also I doubt very much you have even managed a pub team, let alone been successful with one 😅

Oh for goodness sake, he has only ever not been a crap coach at a very very low level of football.

As someone else has said, it’s like getting the job of a chef at a top restaurant for nor being crap at flipping burgers.
Yes but if you brought a new chef into the restaurant after the head, commis and pastry chef left and then put in an apprentice pastry chef and the dish washer in to be the pastry & commis chefs, you’d be screwed.

This 100% is on the board. We all knew he was inexperienced at this level and he’s been hung out to dry. Blaming him is wildly unfair and completely misses the point of how screwed over he and we have been.

Tim Williams this sits at your door.

He's got people there with him to help, is he listening to them ? Short for one ee completely out played Orient when he was in charge. Do you see the weekends performance, that was not a one off.

No matter how painful the watch is at the moment, we’ve just got to get behind Des and the team at the moment, especially as we have a chance of getting into the play offs, then who knows. I know it’s a long shot (Brannagan!), but it’s only another 11 games, possibly 14 if we’re lucky, so nothing to lose, hopefully.

Des needs a summer transfer window to try and get more of his players in and his style of play, and hopefully an assistant manager/coaching staff that he wants. Once he’s had that then we would have real reason to judge him, but I do agree he needs to get better out of what he has at the moment too.

Like the players, let’s not throw this opportunity/hard work/position we’re in at the moment away, and give it our all, at least until it’s not mathematically possible to make the play-offs/autos!

This time last season we had to rally together to save our league one status. Well this time around we’re at the other end of the table with a chance to make the play off/get promotion.

Just imagine if we could go on a 5 match winning streak! (I know, back in the room for me!), but what’s there to lose!!

Last edited:
All things said and done the one thing I like about Des is that everywhere he’s been he’s never failed, I for one am willing to give him a bit more time.

If we sacked him who would we get, it’ll be another lottery, I say stick for the moment…..
I'm not sure sacking him would be a good decision, but the alternative (bumbling along with poor performances and boring football, praying it turns around) isn't great either, particularly whilst in a play-off race.

We financially can't afford to get rid of him, but can't afford to keep him if we want play-offs.

Lose - lose.

I think that’s a little harsh. Wallop has obviously got the patience of a Saint. He entitled to that, just as we are to call for the manager to be fired.

I’m with you that Des has to go though.
Normally agree with you, however not this time. Des has not been surrounded with anyone of note & has not been offered anywhere near the support structurally manning was, & that's why we find ourselves where we do.

You can't sack managers every 5 minutes, hes been here 4 months. It's irresponsible on a football front & financially. He deserves to be given a summer window & presumably there will be a change in structure in the summer, plus loads of dead wood in terms of the playing staff being removed as well. This side is not as good as people think it is. It has some good individuals, but we need some big earners off the wage bill that contribute little before I judge Des. If it gets to Christmas time & hes not made some tough decisions, such as trying to move Sam Long on etc, Then I will agree with you.

He's the manager.... he couldn't bring in an assistant he wanted and got Hackett

Sounds like our season. We couldn't get the second place in league one we wanted but avoided relagation.

Tidy
Yes he's the manager but he still needs structure & a support team around him, Do you think any manager would be successful without people supporting them behind the scenes. I think you know the answer

Normally agree with you, however not this time. Des has not been surrounded with anyone of note & has not been offered anywhere near the support structurally manning was, & that's why we find ourselves where we do.

You can't sack managers every 5 minutes, hes been here 4 months. It's irresponsible on a football front & financially. He deserves to be given a summer window & presumably there will be a change in structure in the summer, plus loads of dead wood in terms of the playing staff being removed as well. This side is not as good as people think it is. It has some good individuals, but we need some big earners off the wage bill that contribute little before I judge Des. If it gets to Christmas time & hes not made some tough decisions, such as trying to move Sam Long on etc, Then I will agree with you.
Exactly this.

We need to move players on like Bodin, Long, Henry, McEachran, Seddon, Findlay, Smyth and Browne IMO and bring in much better as well get a more balanced squad before we truly judge Des. He is dealing with the fall out of 2 managers not just 1.

He's got people there with him to help, is he listening to them ? Short for one ee completely out played Orient when he was in charge. Do you see the weekends performance, that was not a one off.

Listen to yourself people. All I have started to hear is how great Craig Short is (our defensive coach by the way) all based on a 90 minute performance from a bunch of young men who were pissed that the manager left. Prior to that, including when Robinson was here, many wanted him out as he was part of the rotting furniture.

If you disagree with the above, fine but other than Leyton Orient 'AWAY' I'd struggle to convince many he's the next messiah.

Sorry but anyone still backing Des is just kidding themselves - The players do not respect him one bit & Majority of fans are bored to death of watching. Wont be wasting anymore money / time watching that rubbish. Never felt so disconnected with Oxford.
Then that's on the players for being arrogant arseholes then isn't it.

Exactly this.

We need to move players on like Bodin, Long, Henry, McEachran, Seddon, Findlay, Smyth and Browne IMO and bring in much better as well get a more balanced squad.
Exactly Steve. No point in pulling the trigger on a manager now when in the summer there is going to be a massive overhaul of the squad & deep down I think the club probably understands & realises that. We were In a false position to be Top 2 & it was unsustainable, I was saying that when we were top. The XG figures & stats backed it up. We were barely mid table & nothing has changed for me. All the above names you mentioned need to be released, sold for fees or sent out on loans if we have sufficient interest. It will be a big summer. Manning would not of got us any higher up the league if he had stayed & the same injuries had happened. Manning had his support team & pushed Short et al to minor positions. Des has been stuck with them & had Hackett thrown on his lap when he didn't want him as assistant. Have no doubt that changes in the summer.

Last edited:
Listen to yourself people. All I have started to hear is how great Craig Short is (our defensive coach by the way) all based on a 90 minute performance from a bunch of young men who were pissed that the manager left. Prior to that, including when Robinson was here, many wanted him out as he was part of the rotting furniture.

If you disagree with the above, fine but other than Leyton Orient 'AWAY' I'd struggle to convince many he's the next messiah.
Short gaged the atmosphere/feeling in the dressing room and used it to get a passionate performance out of the players. We haven't seen that passion since.

IMO got to show he recognises why we are not performing by stopping picking out of form players even of that necessitates a change of formation we are too easy to set up against.

Go 3 at the back drop long and RR to the bench, play Harris and Goodwin as a 2 or part of a front 3

Need to have a different approach for the remaining games or it will be more of the same

All things said and done the one thing I like about Des is that everywhere he’s been he’s never failed, I for one am willing to give him a bit more time.

If we sacked him who would we get, it’ll be another lottery, I say stick for the moment…..

Who we'd get is always going to be the question ? There are always managers available or poachable. Are you suggesting there is not one attainable manager out there who could do a better job than Des Buckingham ? Really ?

Was about to say this, do people realise how we nearly capitulated in that orient game & had it not been the fact they hit the post it would of been 3-3 when being 3-0 up, I don't think people would be calling Short the Messiah then. Manning dipped because he knew the form we was on wasn't sustainable & Des is paying for that start as it has given people unrealistic expectations.

We are carrying passengers. The sooner we get rid of them, the sooner Des can bring in the players he wants. I just hope they let him bring in his own coaches & people in the summer. It is what is needed. The whole coaching set up is stale & needs shaking up below Des.

Short gaged the atmosphere/feeling in the dressing room and used it to get a passionate performance out of the players. We haven't seen that passion since.
He also nearly threw away a 3-0 lead in that match also. We were the width of a post from drawing 3-3.

Back
Top Bottom