Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Can't believe we've got one of these threads already.

Going on the tone of the thread, think we should appoint Keith Alexander, as he has a great record of making the play-offs so filled with #eflexperience.

It's unfortunate he passed away almost fifteen years ago, but hey, given the mentality in here, experience is experience.

He was a top bloke was Keith Alexander RIP

Lincoln City fans loved him.

He was successful because he had a hands on chairman, Mark Ashton (looked what he’s done at Ipswich), Mark Thomas (look at his record here) as well as Faz & Chris Allen (now at Southampton) around him.

Let’s not act like Appleton did it all himself!

Still had to motivate the players, and be tactically aware during games, and leading up to them. He bought in good players, and gave us some good cup runs. That doesn’t just happen with people higher up. So let’s not try to deflect his success on just those around him. Michael Appleton did a tremendous job, and delivered some of the best counter attacking football I’ve seen in a long time.

Yes Mark Ashton was very good, and to think when he turned up, fans on here and away from this forum were not happy he was here, because of what went on at Watford.

But he hasn't been a success anywhere else ,so how do you explain that ?
And yes he did jump ship like LM for the money have no problem with that as that's what we would all do.

How do you explain his Lincoln City reaching the playoff final, on a very moderate budget.

I’d say that was a bloody miracle what he achieved there.

• React
Reactions: Nox
@Leysboy Would you argue that last season’s Karl Robinson is better than Des?
Because Appleton has taken a side full of very good league 1 players (May, Camara, Isted etc) towards a relegation battle this season, and they are winless in something like 14 games, very similar to us under KR last time out, and we didn’t have many good players.

Still had to motivate the players, and be tactically aware during games, and leading up to them. He bought in good players, and gave us some good cup runs. That doesn’t just happen with people higher up. So let’s not try to deflect his success on just those around him. Michael Appleton did a tremendous job, and delivered some of the best counter attacking football I’ve seen in a long time.

Yes Mark Ashton was very good, and to think when he turned up, fans on here and away from this forum were not happy he was here, because of what went on at Watford.

Yeah and he also lost 2 Wembley finals & missed out on a title to Northampton (our squad was 2 times better on paper)

They were blessed that Manning was not only prepared to do that but also highly effective at it. All the more hilarious that I’m doing so he was thrust in to the shop window and they rather pathetically cried foul that this bloke that they’d put out there to market the club had actually also managed to market himself quite well and attract a bigger fish so quickly.

Manning took all the highs and lows in his stride and faced the music of the relegation battle and the promotion pressure that mounted in an almost inch perfect way. He deflected virtually all attention away from the club’s problems that he would’ve known were there and redirected it in to what was shaping up to be a very effective football team. He fronted up virtually anything he was asked but did so while keeping an incredibly committed group - nobody was downing tools on Manning for making Josh Murphy an absolute last resort and Sonny Perkins invisible. They understood and respected the regime and that smacked you in the face every time you watched the team - it was almost military organisation.

They were absolutely blessed to have him and failure to recognise that and tie down their long term futures - at least long enough to see how we could’ve done this season - will go down as one of Tim Williams’ biggest failings at the club to those with only an outsider perspective (I.e. not a fly on the wall to witness what I’m sure are worse things).
I think youre missing some of the boring football we played under him and some of the second half performances where we were basically defending the whole half.

Yep. Although Hogg also took on some of the media duties. He'd often say the same as Manning, but that only went to confirm how they were a team on the same page and that was reflected through the organisation on the pitch, as you've said.

The first half of Robinson's last 6 months saw constant criticism of Karl (even if it wasn't that hostile at games) but then there was a point where there was a noticeable shift of attention towards the senior leadership at the club. Most fans had made their mind up and they couldn't understand the delay in sacking him.

I've a feeling that we're going to be treading water for a while again before we see any action either way, and all Tim and Grant will do is put themselves back in the spotlight.
The fans forum might help that out.

I think youre missing some of the boring football we played under him and some of the second half performances where we were basically defending the whole half.
I was never bored. I’m more bored now as an Oxford fan than I’ve been in years. With a Manning side you always knew you were in the game or that he was one change away from turning the game.

I think Manning was a little too pragmatic at times but he earned the right to that by getting it right so much more often than not. Perhaps (we’ll never know) when he put the handbrake on it was a method of looking after the limited numbers and fragile bodies we had. He seemed to churn the squad really well at the right time so I think it was more than just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Isn't the difference between Manning and Buckingham the fact that the former took us into the play offs and the latter is taking us out of them? If your side is playing 'pragmatic' football it is OK if you are winning regularly - the pleasure comes from the winning maybe more than the way the team plays. If you are playing that same sort of football and you are regularly dropping points and throwing leads away, there is no winning feeling to enjoy and you can't enjoy what you are watching either. It's a toxic combination.

I do of course accept that towards the end of Manning's tenure we were looking more fragile - but he had earned the patience needed (from the supporters) to ride our way out of it. Buckingham does not have that credit in the bank and (despite what he said) very few of us can see what he is trying to do. So you can add frustration to that mix as well.

Even if we don't recover enough to get us to finish in the playoffs this time out, I hope Buckingham shows enough to give us some sort of hope that his performance next season will be better than we have seen so far.

@Leysboy Would you argue that last season’s Karl Robinson is better than Des?
Because Appleton has taken a side full of very good league 1 players (May, Camara, Isted etc) towards a relegation battle this season, and they are winless in something like 14 games, very similar to us under KR last time out, and we didn’t have many good players.

Third manager struggling with that side full of very good league one players as we speak. Truth is it isn’t, it’s a very unbalanced team with gaping holes in parts, a few glamour signings but no plan. It’s not far from a Karl Robinson side actually, it could well be relegated.

All things said and done the one thing I like about Des is that everywhere he’s been he’s never failed, I for one am willing to give him a bit more time.

If we sacked him who would we get, it’ll be another lottery, I say stick for the moment…..
He’s been with teams in Nee Zealand and India eho wouldn’t even make the bottom rung of the EFL ffs.

It’s like me saying I’ve never failed with a pub team.

He’s been with teams in Nee Zealand and India eho wouldn’t even make the bottom rung of the EFL ffs.

It’s like me saying I’ve never failed with a pub team.
Who would you get? - Weird how he’s suddenly become a crap coach, something doesn’t add up

Did Des bully you at school or something?

Who would you get? - Weird how he’s suddenly become a crap coach, something doesn’t add up
Oh for goodness sake, he has only ever not been a crap coach at a very very low level of football.

As someone else has said, it’s like getting the job of a chef at a top restaurant for nor being crap at flipping burgers.

Just read in the mail that there is a plan it's work in progress, 19 games in you would hope the new manager bounce is around the corner .Looking forward to the next 11 games

Back
Top Bottom