Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Matete.

He’s been out with a serious injury for a year.

He’s gonna take a while to get to the previous levels he set.
He hasn't been out for a year.
He played for Plymouth from January right through to May last season.
He got injured playing for Sunderland in a pre season tour to the USA in the summer.
He had knee surgery which kept him out until December when he made his comeback for Sunderland U21's. Then joined us in January.

He hasn't been out for a year.
He played for Plymouth from January right through to May last season.
He got injured playing for Sunderland in a pre season tour to the USA in the summer.
He had knee surgery which kept him out until December when he made his comeback for Sunderland U21's. Then joined us in January.

My point was he’s had a long term serious injury. It’s too early to judge him.

My point was he’s had a long term serious injury. It’s too early to judge him.
I suppose the question that triggers is:

We got him in on loan until the end of the season because we needed a CDM. How long will it take him to get up to speed, given that there are now 11 games left? If it takes many more games for him to make a positive difference, the very point of loaning him in will have gone.

It's frustrating because the league table shows we would still be competing for the automatics if we had 6 more points. We have had so many golden opportunities to have picked up those extra points: Reading home and away, Northampton home and away, Derby home, Barnsley home, Blackpool away, Wycombe away and Orient on Saturday.

Apart from the distinct lack of organisation, especially defensively, Des doesn't seem to have the ability to inspire. Manning wasn't exciting when he spoke, but I could see how the players would believe in him and what he said (long term this was clearly a mistake!) My doubts started almost straight away, when I watched the clip of Buckingham introducing himself to the players - it was all about his coaching background with OUFC and abroad, the only thing he said about how how he expected his teams to play was "it wasn't just the results, but the way we went about it." This vagueness has continued in every press conference and interview, "we want to go about it in the right way", "everyone's clear about what we do and the way that we do it". Win or lose, post-match I expect at least a small insight into what our tactics were and why they were successful or not. If anyone can show me an interview with Des that has contained any insight I would be very grateful, because if there was any it's passed me by or been edited out.

Forgetting about promotion and results for a second, we need to go on a storming run of confident, attacking football to pull the fans, players and management back together. I don't see that happening under Des, this season or next.

Appleton's record after 19 games - 5 wins, 6 draws, 8 losses. That's one point less than Des, I wasn't here then, but out of interest, what was the mood here re Appleton at that stage?
Did Appleton bring a team with him? I don't recall.

Come on it's not DB giving the ball away getting pushed of the ball far to easily not running back , it could be the players just aren't good enough !!!
Remember last home game last season under LM some of those players are still in the squad give him a chance let's get the dead wood out then see how it pans out.
But the general consensus is that we now have a strong and largely injury free squad and yet it's failing to perform and we're in freefall. That's down to the manager.

Did Appleton bring a team with him? I don't recall.
He was brought in as part of a team. Eales as owner/Chairman, Ashton as CEO, himself as manager and Faz as assistant. They all arrived together on Day One as a package. They then quickly added people like Craig Dean as head of scouting / recruitment and Jonty Castle as head of football operations. We had a Championship infrastructure on the footballing side in less than a year, until Eales’ trousers fell off.

Halcyon days.

I suppose the question that triggers is:

We got him in on loan until the end of the season because we needed a CDM. How long will it take him to get up to speed, given that there are now 11 games left? If it takes many more games for him to make a positive difference, the very point of loaning him in will have gone.

I agree but that has been an issue for a while at the club, signing players not fit or on the way back from injury.

Appleton jumped ship and has been sacked how many times since and some people on here wanted him back they are very quite now.

Last edited:
Appleton jumped ship and has been sacked how many times since and some people on here wanted him back they very quite now.

He didn’t just jump ship!

He had signings lined up, and I recall one on his way to us Liam Lindsey from Partick. We were lining up Harvey Barnes aswell. Imagine them players at Oxford. Eales didn’t give mapp the funds, and with that he left. He was turning us into a promotion chasing team, for our second season in Lge 1. Only just missed out on the playoffs in our first season. Thrashed the eventual playoff winners 0-3 at the new den.

He was marvellous for us, and we were good for him.

Some managers just fit in at certain clubs.

I’d have him back tomorrow.

He commands respect, and he’s good with young talent, and big clubs trust him with their players (gems) and all the players knew there roles in the squad.

He’s a bloody better manager than Des.

He had signings lined up, and I recall one on his way to us Liam Lindsey from Partick. We were lining up Harvey Barnes aswell. Imagine them players at Oxford. Eales didn’t give mapp the funds, and with that he left. He was turning us into a promotion chasing team, for our second season in Lge 1. Only just missed out on the playoffs in our first season. Thrashed the eventual playoff winners 0-3 at the new den.

He commands respect, and he’s good with young talent, and big clubs trust him with their players (gems) and all the players knew there roles in the squad.

You set the bar pretty low by saying he is better than Des lol

He was successful because he had a hands on chairman, Mark Ashton (looked what he’s done at Ipswich), Mark Thomas (look at his record here) as well as Faz & Chris Allen (now at Southampton) around him.

Let’s not act like Appleton did it all himself!

But he hasn't been a success anywhere else ,so how do you explain that ?
And yes he did jump ship like LM for the money have no problem with that as that's what we would all do.

Last edited:
Can't believe we've got one of these threads already.

Going on the tone of the thread, think we should appoint Keith Alexander, as he has a great record of making the play-offs so filled with #eflexperience.

It's unfortunate he passed away almost fifteen years ago, but hey, given the mentality in here, experience is experience.

Back
Top Bottom