Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Our club is blundering blindfolded into a messy end to the season. Too many people at the top focused only on the new stadium and neglecting the team, the staff and the fans.
This happened to Man City and Sunderland a few years back and it took them ages to crawl back, albeit with expensive stadiums funded by loans and taxpayer donations.

This isn’t on Des . This is a terrible process following Liam manning running out before he’d done a thing.
We lost a management team which we replaced with a manager.

If you don’t support an employee with the resources that the need and they fail is it your fault or theirs?

He's the manager.... he couldn't bring in an assistant he wanted and got Hackett

Sounds like our season. We couldn't get the second place in league one we wanted but avoided relagation.

Tidy

I think the players have to take the majority of the blame today although Des is not convincing me in the slightest. It will be very expensive to sack him and not easy or cheap to source an alternative appointment to fit our aspirations. The thing that is not sitting well for me is when winning and not playing well i.e Reading and today v Orient, we just persist until the inevitable goal conceded happens. Alarm bells should have been ringing long before Orient scored their first he only changes things up when bad things happen aka we conceded an important goal. There's no doubt he can manage the team to victories as he has done against the likes of Wigan, Carlisle and Burton but these defeats and bad games overall are very concerning especially from a dynamic tactical standpoint.

I'd be very interested to see where we are in the form table since he arrived. We were fortunate to be 2nd under Manning I must admit but he certainly got the players playing and the results to boot.

I think the players have to take the majority of the blame today although Des is not convincing me in the slightest. It will be very expensive to sack him and not easy or cheap to source an alternative appointment to fit our aspirations. The thing that is not sitting well for me is when winning and not playing well i.e Reading and today v Orient, we just persist until the inevitable goal conceded happens. Alarm bells should have been ringing long before Orient scored their first he only changes things up when bad things happen aka we conceded an important goal. There's no doubt he can manage the team to victories as he has done against the likes of Wigan, Carlisle and Burton but these defeats and bad games overall are very concerning especially from a dynamic tactical standpoint.

I'd be very interested to see where we are in the form table since he arrived. We were fortunate to be 2nd under Manning I must admit but he certainly got the players playing and the results to boot.

5wins ,5draws and 9 defeats the form is fantastic ,must be bottom 6 .20pts from a possible 57 pts

League One Form (Last 6)
PosTeamPWDLFAGDPts
1Portsmouth6420145+914
2Lincoln City642072+514
3Derby641194+513
4Leyton Orient64021210+212
5Barnsley632197+211
6Cheltenham631298+110
7Reading631298+110
8Burton Albion631265+110
9Bolton62311011-19
10Bristol Rovers6303810-29
11Wycombe6222118+38
12Fleetwood Town622296+38
13Blackpool622287+18
14Shrewsbury622287+18
15Northampton6222121208
16Oxford Utd614198+17
17Stevenage621367-17
18Wigan62131012-27
19Exeter621358-37
20Cambridge Utd62048806
21Charlton604258-34
22Peterborough6114712-54
23Port Vale6015413-91
24Carlisle6006516-110

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn’t on Des . This is a terrible process following Liam manning running out before he’d done a thing.
We lost a management team which we replaced with a manager.

If you don’t support an employee with the resources that the need and they fail is it your fault or theirs?
I've said many times he's been done over by those above him, the lack of support he's had due to our boards incompetence is horrendous. Manning arrived mob handed with Hogg, Price and the coach who's name I've forgotten and was able to stamp his authority on things immediately. Des arrived on his own with little reputation in this country, it didn't bother me hugely but it did others and I don't think it's unrealistic that view would be mirrored in the players.

While these are all mitigating circumstances it doesn't excuse what we're seeing on the pitch. There's no pattern of play going forwards apart from hope Brannagan or a winger can do something and defensively we're absolutely shambolic, a cut of all the goals we've conceded would be proper nightmare fuel, we're just so easy to play through and no one seems to know what they're meant to be doing. I suspect even if he was given an assistant manager tomorrow he would have the mother of all uphill tasks to get all the players back onside and having confidence in what he's trying to do. That seemed to be a real turning point today among a lot of fans and the writing is pretty much on the wall. I'd love to be proven wrong but I've not seen any evidence that he'll be a success, short of being hugely backed in the summer and allowed to bring in his own staff and a load of players who buy into whatever he's trying to do.

The bigger problem is that it'll then be down to the Chuckle brothers to replace him and I've even less faith in them. Despite the woeful on pitch stuff they're the biggest problem at the club by a distance.

My original vote was that he should be given the summer to build a team. I am having major doubts about that now. He has got a lot of fairly decent players available now, but seems completely unable to weld them into a team or develop partnerships between players. Would allowing him to spend money on more/different players be sensible? At the moment I have my doubts.
I’m with you. Today is the first time I feel there’s genuine cause for worry.

I love the fact we have a given managers time to prove themselves.

However, I see zero improvement and zero identity on the pitch. Maybe it's as simple as the players don't warm to him but who cares.

The truth is we look lost. He's had many games to at least register his brand of football on the playing field but I see nothing. Absolutely zero.

Maybe, I give him three or five more games to either evidence some sort of plan / style or I fear the writing is on the wall...

Goodbye Des, I'm sorry it didn't work out.
Yep, he’s got a month for me so the next 4 or 5 games are pivotal.( 3 of the next 4 are away including Pompey!)
I don’t see how he survives if we don’t get a change in results in that time.

How much "EFL experience" did Kieran McKenna have?
The job description/environment being built there was designed for a manager like that. That is not the case here. It isn’t a one size fits all and certain managers are meant for certain clubs at certain times. By luck or judgement it was a perfect marriage with Manning, this has been a disaster.

Last edited:
The job description/environment being built there was designed for a manager like that. That is not the case here. It isn’t a one size fits all and certain managers are meant for certain clubs at certain times. By luck or judgement it was a perfect marriage with a Manning, this has been a disaster.
Young successful coaches like McKenna and Mous (looking likely this season) usually have a club who have heavily invested into the staff above them, the whole structure of those clubs is head and shoulders bigger than OUFC. You don't need to be a big club, you just need to invest and have a rigid experience staffing structure in place above the manager. In that regard OUFC is still League 2 at the moment.

Des has come in, wasn't allowed the staff he wanted to work with and only has Tim the accountant above him. We still have Shorty and Faz around but it's hardly a setup ready to topple Derby, Pompey, Bolton, Posh or Barnsley any time soon.

Young successful coaches like McKenna and Mous usually have a club who have heavily invested into the staff above them, the whole structure of those clubs is head and shoulders bigger than OUFC. You don't need to be a big club, you just need to invest and have a rigid experience staffing structure in place above the manager. In that regard OUFC is still League 2 at the moment.

Des has come in, wasn't allowed the staff he wanted to work with and only has Tim the accountant above him. We still have Shorty and Faz around but it's hardly a setup ready to topple Derby, Pompey, Bolton, Posh or Barnsley any time soon.
Tim Williams told everybody very early on that a DoF / Sporting Director is the same job as a Head of Recruitment, just with a different name. That says it all about both his knowledge and his intentions.

He’s an apprentice / protege of Ed Woodward and the Glazer family. That’s how he thinks football clubs should be run. They’re for the shareholders. He’s not interested in ‘wasting’ money on staff who will know more than him, push him out of the room on footballing matters and ultimately prevent him feeling like he’s playing real life Football Manager.

The man’s a joke.

Back
Top Bottom