Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

You don't want him to succeed,
You've been posting about his failure since he was appointed
Why wouldn't I?! I desperately want him to, I really like him, would love for an Oxford supporter to smash it.

It just makes no sense at all suggesting I don't want him to succeed.

But I'm also a realist. He is very dodgy tactically. The issues in games don't seem to be ironed out.

I am pinning my hopes on an Appleton slow burn scenario because against all objective measures, he is really struggling.

Why wouldn't I?! I desperately want him to, I really like him, would love for an Oxford supporter to smash it.

It just makes no sense at all suggesting I don't want him to succeed.

But I'm also a realist. He is very dodgy tactically. The issues in games don't seem to be ironed out.

I am pinning my hopes on an Appleton slow burn scenario because against all objective measures, he is really struggling.
You clearly are a fan but it's true that you sometimes seem to be relishing pointing out all the things that are going wrong.

Appleton and Robinson also had slow starts but you could see what they were trying to do, whereas with Des I can't really. However I'm not going to judge him till he's got a few more players available.

Feels very much like a make or break week for Des - Closing of the window and two massive games. Can't remember the last time felt this disconnected from an Oxford manager & he is an Oxford man? I'm sure he's a good coach but he looks and sounds so out of his depth. Short seems to have distanced himself completely.

Feels very much like a make or break week for Des - Closing of the window and two massive games. Can't remember the last time felt this disconnected from an Oxford manager & he is an Oxford man? I'm sure he's a good coach but he looks and sounds so out of his depth. Short seems to have distanced himself completely.
Defeat on Tuesday and draw on Saturday. 1 point from 6.

I can, KR about 12 months ago !

I’m not going to lay all the blame with Buckingham. The performance levels have been shocking, and by that I mean the general running, grit and endeavour.
We aren’t ticking the essential boxes, and for me, mr blobby could be 1st team manager and they should still be ticked.
There is a general feeling that we have a decent bunch of humans in the squad. I look forward to seeing evidence of that in the next few weeks, regardless of results.

Regardless of anything else, a managers job is to get the best out of the players they have available. Simply put, Des isn't doing that.

Tactically I have no idea what the plan is. 5 at the back isn't working. We're soft, slow, and lethargic. We rarely look like a team that's 'up for it'.

I'm starting to think even if we had all injured players back that things wouldn't be that different. The players available right now aren't mugs - it's not like we're playing with a team half full of call ups from the U18's.

Go through our last few squads and despite injuries they're full of more than competent players, and Des isn't getting anywhere even close to the best out of them. What evidence do we have that it'll change after a couple return from injury?

This gives me hope as we all now how good your predictions are!

Des’s start is a bit like Appleton, fans moaning about no obvious style of play, we aren’t good enough etc, then look what happened.

Des has succeeded everywhere he has been so far and I don’t see any reason to doubt him after just a few games with a squad of players that aren’t his and have hit by injuries.

I think by the end of this window and next we will see a much different squad and also the true way of how a Des team likes to play.

Nothing like Appleton. Des took over a team in second, we were bottom half under Appleton.

Having Chris Hackett working with him may help Des, I hope so. partnerships that we have seen that are effective, Manning/Hogg, Wilder/Knill seem to have emerged ‘informally’. Trying to manufacture one maybe unsuccessful; whatever, Des deserves some time to pull things together. So, three more days then….

Had we appointed Luke Williams, as an example, and he had not been allowed to add to his own backroom staff, bringing in two injured players in January and not adding anything of a note to his outfield options by the 29th day of a transfer window, would we be also, with hindsight, calling for his head?

I am not for one minute suggesting, the club has blocked incoming transfers (although we went three weeks without a home game from 29 DEC to 23 JAN so I bet cashflow ain't flowing in despite the record retail performance, not sure if you lot know about that?) but we may be struggling on that front?

Had we appointed Luke Williams, as an example, and he had not been allowed to add to his own backroom staff, bringing in two injured players in January and not adding anything of a note to his outfield options by the 29th day of a transfer window, would we be also, with hindsight, calling for his head?

I am not for one minute suggesting, the club has blocked incoming transfers (although we went three weeks without a home game from 29 DEC to 23 JAN so I bet cashflow ain't flowing in despite the record retail performance, not sure if you lot know about that?) but we may be struggling on that front?
Really? We’ve had our highest home crowds for years! Surely there’s healthy wedge coming in there, and it’s not as if the jan window crept up on us. This was surely budgeted for!?

If the club is relying on footfall to finance the business then we really are b---ered what with the hefty rent and all which is why having seriously wealthy individuals on board to subsidise spending is a fantastic outcome.

The gargantuan elephant in the room with all of this is the planning application (and it's success) for the new stadium. The whole gamble by our owners and backers is hinging on the success of this and so I would imagine is the ongoing long term commitment to the club generally. There is no plan B if this is unsuccessful and I dare say they will not be prepared to continue funding the losses on the playing side with no prospect of recoup for a longer term sustainable future for the club. They may well be looking to cut their losses and run if the new ground never gets off paper.

With this in mind, their apparent trepidacious approach to this window (with the significant exception of the Goodwin signing).

There are bigger games at play here for those providing the funds I would think.

The gargantuan elephant in the room with all of this is the planning application (and it's success) for the new stadium. The whole gamble by our owners and backers is hinging on the success of this and so I would imagine is the ongoing long term commitment to the club generally. There is no plan B if this is unsuccessful and I dare say they will not be prepared to continue funding the losses on the playing side with no prospect of recoup for a longer term sustainable future for the club. They may well be looking to cut their losses and run if the new ground never gets off paper.

With this in mind, their apparent trepidacious approach to this window (with the significant exception of the Goodwin signing).

There are bigger games at play here for those providing the funds I would think.
Trouble is, I can't see the stadium being much of a success (in terms of attendances) if we're still in L1. You'll get the usual sell-outs/close to sell-outs in the first couple of games there, but if we're still in L1 that would soon drop off I think.

Success on the pitch and success in the new stadium go hand in hand.

I'd agree with this if it wasn't for the Goodwin signing. I seems mad to have signed that cheque if there was genuinely an exit strategy on the cards.

Trouble is, I can't see the stadium being much of a success (in terms of attendances) if we're still in L1. You'll get the usual sell-outs/close to sell-outs in the first couple of games there, but if we're still in L1 that would soon drop off I think.

Success on the pitch and success in the new stadium go hand in hand.
But you are missing the fundamental difference in ability to generate revenue from other streams that we are sorely lacking where we are. The club is far less sustainable in it's current state and the owners know this.

I'd agree with this if it wasn't for the Goodwin signing. I seems mad to have signed that cheque if there was genuinely an exit strategy on the cards.
Not necessarily, because Goodwin is now an OUFC asset and one with potentially significant re-sale value, which would incidentally, make the club a more attractive proposition, should new owners be sought. . . .

It might also get us out of the s**t financially (or provide current backers with some form of return on their investment), should the worst happen, when it comes to cashing in on saleable assets.

We've been here before, remember...

Back
Top Bottom