Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Desperate for some structure around Des.

Each week I’m watching hoping to see some sort of game plan, but as yet, we haven’t seen a player uplift and no clear identity.

He already looks ground down by the experience. He doesn’t look to have much around him. Lots of parallels with KR being the face of a largely redundant boardrooms. It could be Des or anyone else, but we don’t *look* to have the behind the scenes operation to help a head coach succeed.

I am torn. We all want vision and a plan, but we haven’t seen that in the pitch so far from Des, plus we don’t have a clue what’s going on off it. It would be easy to sack Des, but do we really have the environment to allow someone else to succeed?

Absolutely right!

This is all a bit Darren Patterson esque.

You take over a club buzzing with confidence. Hitting 2.2 points per game. 2nd in the league.

It was a job for someone that had experience in the EFL. Not someone that won things in NZL, and India. That’s like coaching players at Barton Wreck, Or on the pitches of Cuddeson Way.

Des Buckingham wasn’t my choice, but he was given the gig, and I’ve tried to support him. Unfortunately he doesn’t look as if he’s tactically astute, and the team selections at times are bizzare to say the least.
Spot on.

A lot of the posts on here are- frankly- bizarre. Manning actually did a very good job in papering over the cracks from KR's disastrous last 6-9 months, and recruited pretty well. But there were obvious gaps in the squad. When Manning ran away, it was very apparent that teams had started to work us out. In Manning's last 4-6 weeks, we scrambled some very lucky wins/draws, and a lot of the football was dull. I never thought we would end up top two. I thought probably 6-8, which is probably where we will be. Buckingham has had a pretty average start, but I think these are exactly the sorts of results Manning would have got. I'm completely baffled why a significant minority of posters want to criticise Buckingham repeatedly. I've said it before, but the City Football Group (or whatever they're called) don't hand out jobs for a laugh. Buckingham is very highly rated. Some people just need to give the constant criticism a break!

Desperate for some structure around Des.

Each week I’m watching hoping to see some sort of game plan, but as yet, we haven’t seen a player uplift and no clear identity.

He already looks ground down by the experience. He doesn’t look to have much around him. Lots of parallels with KR being the face of a largely redundant boardrooms. It could be Des or anyone else, but we don’t *look* to have the behind the scenes operation to help a head coach succeed.

I am torn. We all want vision and a plan, but we haven’t seen that in the pitch so far from Des, plus we don’t have a clue what’s going on off it. It would be easy to sack Des, but do we really have the environment to allow someone else to succeed?

Spot on. Alarm bells were ringing after the Assistant Manager announcement.

Hogg came with Manning. Nice and convenient for the board as well as they sort the contracts all out at once.

A lot of the posts on here are- frankly- bizarre. Manning actually did a very good job in papering over the cracks from KR's disastrous last 6-9 months, and recruited pretty well. But there were obvious gaps in the squad. When Manning ran away, it was very apparent that teams had started to work us out. In Manning's last 4-6 weeks, we scrambled some very lucky wins/draws, and a lot of the football was dull. I never thought we would end up top two. I thought probably 6-8, which is probably where we will be. Buckingham has had a pretty average start, but I think these are exactly the sorts of results Manning would have got. I'm completely baffled why a significant minority of posters want to criticise Buckingham repeatedly. I've said it before, but the City Football Group (or whatever they're called) don't hand out jobs for a laugh. Buckingham is very highly rated. Some people just need to give the constant criticism a break!
I can only speak for myself, but I just want to see some encouraging football and the makings of a plan to build a team that can win promotion. I don’t think it’s negative to say that I haven’t seen either. Perhaps others have and can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'm going to say this now as I said with Karl. Des Buckingham will not bring success to OUFC whilst he has a hole in his A*****e.

He is tactically inept. I am not sure what he coaches day to day. The players clearly don't believe in the methods.

I want him to succeed. He's not got it. We've fucked up. He's a caretaker til we get someone who knows what they're doing.

If he wasn't from Oxford we would be thinking we'd appointed a complete turnip.
The only thing that keeps me optimistic is that I could have wrote that word for word after the TV game we lost under Appleton. And looked what happened there.
We can but hope...

He did, 8 wins, 2 losses (to Cambridge and Port Vale) I’m not trying to a make point against Des. I support him and he needs time. Just saying the graph is wrong 👍
Sorry for any confusion. Manning's first 10 games were the tail end of last season. 10 games, 11pts.

The first 10 games *of this season* returned 24pts, but that's not what the graph was showing. That's the phase in the comparison we're entering now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-210410~2.png
    Screenshot_20240127-210410~2.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
Buckingham has had a pretty average start

Average? Really?

16th on PPG since he arrived.

And other than the credible draw against Bolton, we haven't managed a result against anyone currently higher than 16th since he took over.

So that's two bits of data that suggest the level we're performing at.

And it's significantly below 'average'.

Average? Really?

And other than the credible draw against Bolton, we haven't managed a result against anyone currently higher than 16th since he took over.

It's dreadful. It's almost relegation form, with a team that was *checks notes,* 2nd in the league.

If I'm Tim, and that's one of my staff, they aren't passing probation.

Last edited:
The comparison with Liam Manning is irrelevant. Manning had the end of last season and a full preseason to establish the way he wanted to play, and to get the players and coaches all working to that one plan. Our results showed that it was working, but it was fragile. A few key injuries and nothing to back up Mark Harris when he was struggling showed how thin or squad was, and how we needed multiple transfer windows to get things right.

Manning then leaves, and takes his assistant and analyst with him, as well as pissing off the goalkeeper coach and disrupting the whole coaching model. At the same time, we had more injuries and the lack of cover in the squad was becoming increasingly apparent.

Des arrives and is stuck between sticking with someone else's system that was having some success, but without the infrastructure to support it, or getting everyone to adapt to his ways of working in the few hours of coaching available between games. And then, even when he has had the time to put his mark on the team, he's barely been able to pick the same starting line up twice in a row because of players missing.

We were happy to give Manning three transfer windows, but some are barely giving Buckingham one before shooting him down. Some think that he has invented the "playing the ball across the back" style, but we did exactly the same under Manning. The difference was that then we had better options to then get the ball forward. Recently we've struggled to get any width to the pitch due to losing all wingers, and have equally lost all of the pace options that allowed us to stretch team. McGuane and Cam are having to come short more often to try to dictate play and that is hampering their game.

Of course we can always look to improve, and we need to do better in the bigger games if we're going to match those around us. But we have to give Des the time he needs to develop his own team and own style.

Well said, we need to stick with him, I just find it a little worrying how quickly our fan base are starting to turn, hope this ship can be steadied I really do……

Like the board, you've been seduced by the city group too it seems. They buy success mostly, dubious as to if they stick within the rules whist doing it.

If Des had done it in a half decent footballing nation then he might have something on his CV that suggests he's ready for proper professional football. He hasn't, he isn't.

Average? Really?

Like I said, teams had started to work us out. In Manning's last six L1 games, we got 10 points. In Buckingham's last six L1 games, we have got 9 points....we're a decent team. But not that good. Yet.

Back
Top Bottom