Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

The comparison with Liam Manning is irrelevant. Manning had the end of last season and a full preseason to establish the way he wanted to play, and to get the players and coaches all working to that one plan. Our results showed that it was working, but it was fragile. A few key injuries and nothing to back up Mark Harris when he was struggling showed how thin or squad was, and how we needed multiple transfer windows to get things right.

Manning then leaves, and takes his assistant and analyst with him, as well as pissing off the goalkeeper coach and disrupting the whole coaching model. At the same time, we had more injuries and the lack of cover in the squad was becoming increasingly apparent.

Des arrives and is stuck between sticking with someone else's system that was having some success, but without the infrastructure to support it, or getting everyone to adapt to his ways of working in the few hours of coaching available between games. And then, even when he has had the time to put his mark on the team, he's barely been able to pick the same starting line up twice in a row because of players missing.

We were happy to give Manning three transfer windows, but some are barely giving Buckingham one before shooting him down. Some think that he has invented the "playing the ball across the back" style, but we did exactly the same under Manning. The difference was that then we had better options to then get the ball forward. Recently we've struggled to get any width to the pitch due to losing all wingers, and have equally lost all of the pace options that allowed us to stretch team. McGuane and Cam are having to come short more often to try to dictate play and that is hampering their game.

Of course we can always look to improve, and we need to do better in the bigger games if we're going to match those around us. But we have to give Des the time he needs to develop his own team and own style.
100% agree. I’m baffled at some fans delusion. I’ve no idea where this kind of expectation comes from. What precedent have Oxford United ever set for people to think we should be performing at such a level?. It’s not like we are a big club and fallen from grace or gone into the season as bookies favourites to win the league.

100% agree. I’m baffled at some fans delusion. I’ve no idea where this kind of expectation comes from. What precedent have Oxford United ever set for people to think we should be performing at such a level?. It’s not like we are a big club and fallen from grace or gone into the season as bookies favourites to win the league.

That's a different point to the one I was making. We very much should be looking at promotion as a realistic target, and that hasn't changed.

However, we are still rebuilding the squad and that takes time to get right. Harris is a very good prospect but he can't do it alone. Goodwin looks to be another player that could develop with us to a higher level, but we need to ensure that he's 100% ready before we throw him in. Cumming is a goalkeeper that we could realistically look to bring in on a permanent deal in the summer which then gives more stability in the squad. Rodriguez is still adapting to this level but looks a class above on his day. And a fit Greg Leigh was unplayable at times.

The basics are there with more to build on, and we need to give them and Buckingham the time to become title contenders and to be Championship ready. But that doesn't mean that we abandon the rest of this season either, and I'm sure that we'll still ve very much in the mix come April.

That's a different point to the one I was making. We very much should be looking at promotion as a realistic target, and that hasn't changed.

However, we are still rebuilding the squad and that takes time to get right. Harris is a very good prospect but he can't do it alone. Goodwin looks to be another player that could develop with us to a higher level, but we need to ensure that he's 100% ready before we throw him in. Cumming is a goalkeeper that we could realistically look to bring in on a permanent deal in the summer which then gives more stability in the squad. Rodriguez is still adapting to this level but looks a class above on his day. And a fit Greg Leigh was unplayable at times.

The basics are there with more to build on, and we need to give them and Buckingham the time to become title contenders and to be Championship ready. But that doesn't mean that we abandon the rest of this season either, and I'm sure that we'll still ve very much in the mix come April.
Of course, I’m not suggesting we abandon our efforts. We are a bona fide play off level team especially when we have a decent # of players available. I think we are right where we are supposed to be given the disruption with manning leaving and the injuries and to criticize Des is asinine to me.

Of course, I’m not suggesting we abandon our efforts. We are a bona fide play off level team especially when we have a decent # of players available. I think we are right where we are supposed to be given the disruption with manning leaving and the injuries and to criticize Des is asinine to me.
Yes, today's display shows what a top man Des is!

The appointment of Des was generally welcomed although a lot of us had reservations simply because we didn’t know what his success abroad meant in English terms. He hasn’t impressed me so far, although there are some mitigating factors, but the people saying they knew he was the wrong man aren’t showing good judgement - they were just guessing, like everyone else.

We havent been in such a strong position for years after the first dozen games. And for 5 years we have blamed poor starts on our failure to compete at the end of the season. Boards need contingencies when players/managers leave. If you are "up there" you invest. Otherwise it just becomes a P**s poor curry without any Singha beer

We havent been in such a strong position for years after the first dozen games. And for 5 years we have blamed poor starts on our failure to compete at the end of the season. Boards need contingencies when players/managers leave. If you are "up there" you invest. Otherwise it just becomes a P**s poor curry without any Singha beer
I remember reading somewhere at the time that our 27 points from the first 11 games put us in an extremely strong position, statistically, to get promoted, based on previous samples. Wish I could find that again. Have we ever done better in our first 11 games, out of interest?

The comparison with Liam Manning is irrelevant. Manning had the end of last season and a full preseason to establish the way he wanted to play, and to get the players and coaches all working to that one plan. Our results showed that it was working, but it was fragile. A few key injuries and nothing to back up Mark Harris when he was struggling showed how thin or squad was, and how we needed multiple transfer windows to get things right.

Manning then leaves, and takes his assistant and analyst with him, as well as pissing off the goalkeeper coach and disrupting the whole coaching model. At the same time, we had more injuries and the lack of cover in the squad was becoming increasingly apparent.

Des arrives and is stuck between sticking with someone else's system that was having some success, but without the infrastructure to support it, or getting everyone to adapt to his ways of working in the few hours of coaching available between games. And then, even when he has had the time to put his mark on the team, he's barely been able to pick the same starting line up twice in a row because of players missing.

We were happy to give Manning three transfer windows, but some are barely giving Buckingham one before shooting him down. Some think that he has invented the "playing the ball across the back" style, but we did exactly the same under Manning. The difference was that then we had better options to then get the ball forward. Recently we've struggled to get any width to the pitch due to losing all wingers, and have equally lost all of the pace options that allowed us to stretch team. McGuane and Cam are having to come short more often to try to dictate play and that is hampering their game.

Of course we can always look to improve, and we need to do better in the bigger games if we're going to match those around us. But we have to give Des the time he needs to develop his own team and own style.
Very good post.well said.

I'm going to say this now as I said with Karl. Des Buckingham will not bring success to OUFC whilst he has a hole in his A*****e.

He is tactically inept. I am not sure what he coaches day to day. The players clearly don't believe in the methods.

I want him to succeed. He's not got it. We've fucked up. He's a caretaker til we get someone who knows what they're doing.

If he wasn't from Oxford we would be thinking we'd appointed a complete turnip.

I totally see your point Scotchers.

However, we've still got plenty of options available, that we could at least make use of what we've got, and play a system and tactics that at least makes us hard to beat, but unfortunately with each game that goes by, we seem to be getting worse, with less cohesion and tactical direction with each performance, and I'm not seeing any signs that Des is up to the job in hand.

I'm desperate for him to prove me wrong of course, but so far, he's looking like someone maybe more suited to being an assistant, rather than a manager, as he currently seems completely out of his depth in the role.

I'm going to say this now as I said with Karl. Des Buckingham will not bring success to OUFC whilst he has a hole in his A*****e.

He is tactically inept. I am not sure what he coaches day to day. The players clearly don't believe in the methods.

I want him to succeed. He's not got it. We've fucked up. He's a caretaker til we get someone who knows what they're doing.

I don’t want to agree with this but I’m finding it really difficult to come up with a counter argument at the moment. We are a shambles..

You don't want him to succeed,
You've been posting about his failure since he was appointed

The board have not been the best recently but this is not on them. Hired Buckingham as they thought like many of us that he would be good for the club. They gave him chances to get an assistant but he couldn’t - that’s not the boards fault. His coaching has been a suprise but not a nice one. Players are unhappy and confused. Players are talking and that is affecting recruitment. Money is there. Something needs to change and it needs to happen soon.

Things going well up in Sheffield then!!! Happy birthday!

The board have not been the best recently but this is not on them. Hired Buckingham as they thought like many of us that he would be good for the club. They gave him chances to get an assistant but he couldn’t - that’s not the boards fault. His coaching has been a suprise but not a nice one. Players are unhappy and confused. Players are talking and that is affecting recruitment. Money is there. Something needs to change and it needs to happen soon.

You keep repeating this stuff without a shred of evidence. Why should anyone listen?

Absolutely right!

This is all a bit Darren Patterson esque.

You take over a club buzzing with confidence. Hitting 2.2 points per game. 2nd in the league.

It was a job for someone that had experience in the EFL. Not someone that won things in NZL, and India. That’s like coaching players at Barton Wreck, Or on the pitches of Cuddeson Way.

Des Buckingham wasn’t my choice, but he was given the gig, and I’ve tried to support him. Unfortunately he doesn’t look as if he’s tactically astute, and the team selections at times are bizzare to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom