Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Ye. I genuinely have no idea why some Oxford United supporters appear to think the world is about to end because of the way the club announced the new assistant manager, or the new assistant to the manager.
Mmmm yes ,the CEO announces Hackett as assistant.
When Des gets asked about it, it's like it's not a done deal.
So yes us fans have a right to challange it.
Why are you so defensive???

This is what I heard, I’ve gone back and re-listened:

“It’s something that we’ve probably gone a bit early with” & “in terms of what that looks like and how we’ll work together, we’re still talking through that, it’ll be a lot clearer come the weekend”.

Certainly wasn’t how I heard it, no. And his follow up comment talking about them discussing how it will look kind of supports that, I think.

From 10 minutes. Definitely sounds like he isn't confirmed as Des's assistant.

Or the manager implying that the assistant manager isn’t actually yet the assistant manager? Doesn’t ring any alarm bells?
It's clear that the Chief Executive is much more experienced in financial restructuring in sport -which is what he did at Inter Milan where " as the Chief Financial Officer he held responsibility for financial, strategic and management reporting and the Group's financing and capital structure where he led the restructuring of the club’s long and short term financing facilities which ultimately facilitated the development of the club on the pitch, culminating in the club’s return to Champions League football in 2018 and the 2021 Italian league title" than the day-to-day running of a League 1 football club,

But then we have lots of people who can do the day-to-day running of a League 1 football club.

To build the new stadium we probably need the Inter Milan skillset.

It's clear that the Chief Executive is much more experienced in financial restructuring in sport -which is what he did at Inter Milan where " as the Chief Financial Officer he held responsibility for financial, strategic and management reporting and the Group's financing and capital structure where he led the restructuring of the club’s long and short term financing facilities which ultimately facilitated the development of the club on the pitch, culminating in the club’s return to Champions League football in 2018 and the 2021 Italian league title" than the day-to-day running of a League 1 football club,

But then we have lots of people who can do the day-to-day running of a League 1 football club.

To build the new stadium we probably need the Inter Milan skillset.
Then why is he anointing Assistant managers? Why hasn’t he hired someone with the experience of day-to-day running of football operations at an Executive level? Because you say we have lots of people who can do that, but who? We have a seemingly very talented and young Head of Recruitment, and hopefully a very talented and young Head Coach, but where is this wealth of experience running the football side? Because as far as I can see it’s the guy who’s an expert in financial restructuring in sport that you know so much about.

Des Post Match, re: Hackett ‘appointment’:

“In terms of how we work together and what that looks like, we are still discussing that and things should be clearer before the weekend”

Also Des Post Match, when asked about Hackett:

“Yeah, we’ve probably gone a little bit too early on that”

This is AFTER our CEO has released an update, that states Hackett will be Des’s Assistant. Does anyone at the club have a f*****g clue what’s going on?

It’s clear our increasingly distant CEO, doesn’t!
Did he 100% say assistant manager or just stepping up to help with the first team?

Didn’t Tim also say in his little announcement that it was Des’ decision?

Pretty much, this what Tim said,

The recruitment and development of talent is vital. When Des joined the club, he made it very clear that he wanted to assess the current staffing set-up before making any changes or bringing in new coaches. I’m delighted to confirm that on the back of this ongoing review, Chris Hackett will be assuming the role of Des’s Assistant to work alongside Craig Short and Lewis Price. We have also agreed a deal to appoint a First Team Analyst and are in the process of finalising a start date for them.

The other odd thing about that statement was the bit about the analyst and the process of finalising a start date for them, Des has said more than once that the analyst had been in the building sometime and had already started working for the club.

All rather bizarre, left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Those responsible for running the club need to get a grip.

Those that cannot see any shortcomings in OUFC might choose to ignore Des’s latest comments, that is their prerogative and is fair enough.

But, If you cannot see that it’s baffling (at best) and extremely concerning (at worst) that the CEO and Manager are not aligned in their messaging to the media, on the same day and in reference to a new assistant manager/head coach then I’m not sure what will get you to sit up and take notice of how Williams and Ferguson are running the club.

It’s absurd that 12 hours after a press release from the CEO, the Manager is then contradicting what he has said, with regards to a first team management appointment.

Williams has become increasingly detached from the football club and has other business interests that appear to be front and centre, for him. I think this lack of cohesion is another example of Williams having completely lost any impetus he may have had for the club.

Des is operating atm with at least one arm tied behind his back. Feel sorry for the man. He’s trying to be professional and positive in interviews, but it must be difficult.
I agree with this, somethign about the day to day running of the football side is awry.

I feel as though the players have gone from being asked to play for the equivialent of Pete Doherty in terms of organisation and pattter for the first 2/3rds of last season to being drilled by Kraftwerk for 4/5 months, and now I'm not sure I have a musical analogy for Des as he's trying to do everthing with a hand tied behind his back, or so it seems

I know that Indonesia have elections this year, I'm wondering if that has thrown a spanner in the works? Who knows?

Fingers crossed for a good dumping of snow next week and a couple of postponements. I think the squad would benefit from the break and recovery time. But more importantly those who are supposed to be in charge need to up their game and start acting like a top 30 club.

Those that cannot see any shortcomings in OUFC might choose to ignore Des’s latest comments, that is their prerogative and is fair enough.

But, If you cannot see that it’s baffling (at best) and extremely concerning (at worst) that the CEO and Manager are not aligned in their messaging to the media, on the same day and in reference to a new assistant manager/head coach then I’m not sure what will get you to sit up and take notice of how Williams and Ferguson are running the club.

It’s absurd that 12 hours after a press release from the CEO, the Manager is then contradicting what he has said, with regards to a first team management appointment.

Williams has become increasingly detached from the football club and has other business interests that appear to be front and centre, for him. I think this lack of cohesion is another example of Williams having completely lost any impetus he may have had for the club.

I think most could spot the BS in Williams’ statement today, but Des’s comments are worrying.

Todays piece was reactionary to fan pressure and clearly put out to take the heat off Tim and Grant, but has Williams just pushed Hackett onto Des as assistant to try and stop the criticism. Or has he just announced something that hadn’t really been concluded? Certainly didn’t sound like something that had been ironed out, as you would probably expect from an interview process and internal appointment. Very strange.

The bigger worry is that I thought Tim was part of this famous transfer committee. If, as suggested attention is elsewhere, what does that mean for this month and getting deals done?

I think most could spot the BS in Williams’ statement today, but Des’s comments are worrying.

Todays piece was reactionary to fan pressure and clearly put out to take the heat off Tim and Grant, but has Williams just pushed Hackett onto Des as assistant to try and stop the criticism. Or has he just announced something that hadn’t really been concluded? Very strange.

The bigger worry is that I thought Tim was part of this famous transfer committee. If, as suggested attention is elsewhere, what does that mean for this month and getting deals done?

Plenty of sticking plaster loan deals. Kick the can down the road.

So basically Tim has lost interest but we’re still paying him a huge wage to not do his job properly? Is that a fair assessment?

With GF never here either, despite costing us a small fortune as well I suspect, then we have 2 highly paid executives not delivering and effectively no one running the club?

It seems like in a couple of months we’ve suddenly become a complete mess. Des is now like Mr OUFC in the same way KR was and we all know how that ended up and how bad it was for the club. The owners are distant and there is no one properly guiding the ship?

I imagine NMcW feels isolated and is pi**ed off at lack of support from anyone other than highly paid consultants who are also costing a fortune.

We have no one to sign off transfers hence the problems there, and all this is probably filtering down to the players hence the likes of Beadle leaving despite Sheffield Wed already having a very competent GK and his game time not guaranteed like it was here?

Am I reading the room reasonably accurately or being paranoid here? And is there much more I haven’t even covered?

Back
Top Bottom