Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Alan Knill maybe isn't he Wilders right hand man and now wilder has the Sheffield United job he's gone with him 🤔

Slightly worried with what I heard yesterday from a close friend who has very close ties with some of the players and coaching staff regarding Des, apparently the players have nicknamed him Casper as he's so quiet and has no authority, doesn't seem to add much in conversations! One of the defenders in the first team reckons he could go into his office and get the formation for a match changed, not taking training sessions, having observed Shortys originally has pretty much kept with the same thing which is a million miles away from Mannings style. I hope it's exaggerated and delayed news but not exactly what you want to hear. If this is the case I hope he manages to win them over coming into a tricky period, the proof will be in the pudding. I personally feel for him not having an assistant in place think it would be a good thing for him to have his own choice if possible.

Slightly worried with what I heard yesterday from a close friend who has very close ties with some of the players and coaching staff regarding Des, apparently the players have nicknamed him Casper as he's so quiet and has no authority, doesn't seem to add much in conversations! One of the defenders in the first team reckons he could go into his office and get the formation for a match changed, not taking training sessions, having observed Shortys originally has pretty much kept with the same thing which is a million miles away from Mannings style. I hope it's exaggerated and delayed news but not exactly what you want to hear. If this is the case I hope he manages to win them over coming into a tricky period, the proof will be in the pudding. I personally feel for him not having an assistant in place think it would be a good thing for him to have his own choice if possible.

I would suggest that this is a load of B*****s! Des Buckingham hasn't just turned up for a bit of work experience, he has been managing for several years with a number of teams that have all achieved success. You don't have to be a complete c*** to succeed in football, but I wouldn't mistake a quieter demeanour for weakness.

He took over a team in the top 2 or 3 in the league, with an attractive style of play, so there's no need to reinvent the wheel. But we have seen that he is happy to change players and formation when required, and I'm sure he'll put more of his personal stamp on the team in the coming weeks and months.

I would suggest that this is a load of B*****s! Des Buckingham hasn't just turned up for a bit of work experience, he has been managing for several years with a number of teams that have all achieved success. You don't have to be a complete c*** to succeed in football, but I wouldn't mistake a quieter demeanour for weakness.

He took over a team in the top 2 or 3 in the league, with an attractive style of play, so there's no need to reinvent the wheel. But we have seen that he is happy to change players and formation when required, and I'm sure he'll put more of his personal stamp on the team in the coming weeks and months.
What’s Sam Long’s auntie’s view, Egg, I know you’re close to the action.

He wanted to not come in and make sweeping changes and observe for a while e.g. make his own judgement rather than be swayed by others opinions.

On RO on Saturday , he said it was very close but wouldn't be tied down to a specific date.
I agree with Des & am a bit shocked ROX are asking him these sort of questions.. But, if you're into that sort of thing I assume you would want to know each other some what. Have safe words ready etc...

There are those who won’t believe this, or want to, however it’s very unfortunately true. Gradually more stories will emerge. head coach in name only and credit should be given to the rest of the staff for propping up the club.

There are those who won’t believe this, or want to, however it’s very unfortunately true. Gradually more stories will emerge. head coach in name only and credit should be given to the rest of the staff for propping up the club.

Well let's face it, you'd be an idiot if you read the words of a couple of infrequent posters, and immediately decided that they must be 100% true.

I'm just relaying what I've heard, I actually don't want to believe it, I'm a lifelong Oxford fan the same as the majority on here I just hope with time the relationships/positive involvement will improve

Two things I'd say.
Firstly, whilst this may be true, its not unknown for coaches to react like that when first coming in. Different sport, but when Duncan Fletcher (ex England cricket coach and not exactly remembered as a meek and mild bloke) first started working with Glamorgan they started to call him "the mute" as he hardly said, let alone did anything to change things for the first month or two. He let things tick over, watched, learned and gradually changed things to improve what was there before, rather than destroying what already worked well.
Secondly, a player(s) may well have said this, but how concerned I'd be would depend on who had said it. If it was -for example - Moore or Eastwood then I'd be very concerned. If it was - for example - Negru then I'd have a wry smile and see what happens over time!

Last edited:
When Arsene Wenger first went to Arsenal similar was said about him there, that turned out alright.

When Appleton first came to Oxford he (and Eales) had secret footballer except at christmas and crazed egotist Dave Kitson sneering at them, that turned out alright.

Manning came in and was on it from the start, but we were in a relegation battle and a lot had to change, plus he fucked off after 7 months so he was more of one of those firefighting temp managers than a proper long term one.

Yeah yeah says who? You sound like a school child

I've seen some shite on here in my time....

Christ on a bike! You couldn't make it up ........... oh!

Back
Top Bottom