Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I really don't buy that.
Anybody thinking of signing McGuane would be put off by his form this year.
And if he has 'downed tools', I am not sure how that would impress any potential clubs
It doesn't always work like that though does it?
How many times have we taken a punt on a player that's been out of favour or underperforming at their current club, based on their potential?
Owen Dale is the latest example. Same was true of many players in our squad. Unwanted by other clubs, we took a punt based on their potential and being the "right fit".

Agree about McGuane - but I fear that we're going to run into the same problems we ran into against Bolton if we try and play the midfield we did against Vale against decent opposition i.e. they will get completely overrun. Whilst acknowledging what both Bodin & RR can bring to the team in an attacking sense, they are hardly going to offer much defensive resistance against top opponents.

Cam/Bodin/RR may work for the next three, but if it's not going to be McGuane (and I agree that it's probably not now) then we desperately need either Matete or McEachran to find some form before the Posh/Lincoln/Stevenage stretch.
Agreed, that midfield won't work as well against a better quality of opposition...it could even go as wrong as it did against Bolton. So how do we solve that problem? Really not sure, but maybe Leigh at Left mid to give a bit more robustness in front of Bennett with Long/Stevens and Dale on the other. The middle though as you say is the real problem. McEachran was part of the team that was successful at the start of the season ....domyou think he can rediscover that? Not sure as I think any team that employs a press will.overrun him as whilst he's a quality passer, he's just too ponderous for me. Matete ought to be the answer, but we've seen nothing from him to suggest that's the case so far. That was a pretty serious injury he got and he now seems to be in that place where he's picking up knocks and niggles with alarming regularity.
So if not this two as the anchor, is Cambran the only realistic alternative....but then who further forward...Bodin? Goodrham?, Henry?...what about Murphy more centrally in the RR role?
No easy answer I can see at present, more hope than anything!

How many times have we taken a punt on a player that's been out of favour or underperforming at their current club, based on their potential?
Owen Dale is the latest example. Same was true of many players in our squad. Unwanted by other clubs, we took a punt based on their potential and being the "right fit".
I don't think there's any great mystery about MM. He's just not that good. Great technique and balance, but he's a very cautious player, who often plays the wrong pass. He doesn't influence games. Dale has done more for us in six appearances than MM has done in 100+ imo. MM is not a dynamic player. You can see why he was so highly rated as a teenager. But you can also see why he's failed. I'd be quite happy to see him go. He might get a low level Championship club, but he won't make any impact at that level.

Agreed, that midfield won't work as well against a better quality of opposition...it could even go as wrong as it did against Bolton. So how do we solve that problem? Really not sure, but maybe Leigh at Left mid to give a bit more robustness in front of Bennett with Long/Stevens and Dale on the other. The middle though as you say is the real problem. McEachran was part of the team that was successful at the start of the season ....domyou think he can rediscover that? Not sure as I think any team that employs a press will.overrun him as whilst he's a quality passer, he's just too ponderous for me. Matete ought to be the answer, but we've seen nothing from him to suggest that's the case so far. That was a pretty serious injury he got and he now seems to be in that place where he's picking up knocks and niggles with alarming regularity.
So if not this two as the anchor, is Cambran the only realistic alternative....but then who further forward...Bodin? Goodrham?, Henry?...what about Murphy more centrally in the RR role?
No easy answer I can see at present, more hope than anything!

If we’re at the point of trying anything - maybe Smyth? Certainly has the physical traits and the defensive instincts. Passing wasn’t wholly horrible when he got his brief run in the team. Maybe we could try him behind Cam & RR/Bodin if we’re unconvinced by any of the other options (and I think we are!)

That is totally different.
My response was to a person suggesting that MM was playing in order to not get the 1 year extension. That us what I don't buy.
Of course some layers do well at different clubs. I bet Dale never didn't try at Blackpool and played badly on purpose

That is totally different.
My response was to a person suggesting that MM was playing in order to not get the 1 year extension. That us what I don't buy.
Of course some layers do well at different clubs. I bet Dale never didn't try at Blackpool and played badly on purpose
Ah I see. I'm not sure I buy this not playing for the manager either. MM has been the same his entire career. Maybe another manager thinks he can get a tune at him like KR did maybe he'll end up at Salford next year🤔🤷‍♂️

If we’re at the point of trying anything - maybe Smyth? Certainly has the physical traits and the defensive instincts. Passing wasn’t wholly horrible when he got his brief run in the team. Maybe we could try him behind Cam & RR/Bodin if we’re unconvinced by any of the other options (and I think we are!)
I quite like Smyth. He's got a good passing range, although he's sometimes careless. And he can tackle. Can't be worse than watching MM running round in circles before playing the ball sideways/backwards. And whatever happens, please don't play McEachren.

I quite like Smyth. He's got a good passing range, although he's sometimes careless. And he can tackle. Can't be worse than watching MM running round in circles before playing the ball sideways/backwards. And whatever happens, please don't play McEachren.
I like Smyth too, but like you I'm not at all convinced about his game sense and he seems very naive at times. Maybe not surprising given the level he's played at and I'm convinced he was brought in as a "project" by KR. I'm sure the plan was a few cameos and appearances in lesser games, as well as a loan or two at lower levels to build that knowledge. But it didn't work out that way and I think his development has suffered as a result.

What's that got to do with anything? They also got beat 5-1 at home to Lincoln. More embarrassing that they are comfortably above us.
Let's just hope Barnsley rediscover a bit of form ahead of their Blackpool and Stevenage games then as that is the only way it possibly affects us in the run in. Especially as both still have to play Carlisle, which most would consider a free hit.

I really don't buy that.
Anybody thinking of signing McGuane would be put off by his form this year.
And if he has 'downed tools', I am not sure how that would impress any potential clubs
I get this logic, but I don't think it translates into reality.

There are countless players with awful injury records, reports of poor attitude etc who play at the highest level or continue to get moves.

McGuane is, or at least has the potential to be a good player. I think there would be plenty of clubs happy to get him on a free/on the cheap.

I get this logic, but I don't think it translates into reality.

There are countless players with awful injury records, reports of poor attitude etc who play at the highest level or continue to get moves.

McGuane is, or at least has the potential to be a good player. I think there would be plenty of clubs happy to get him on a free/on the cheap.

The thing with McGuane is he has such obvious ability and attributes, has at times shown himself to above this level and yet he always falls away badly. For a player of his quality to fall from where he was and where he should be to going down the leagues something must be up, people will always question that. You are right that someone will take him, but its another thing if anyone will ever solve the conundrum of getting the best out of him.

Simply,
7 games to secure top 6. (Whatever happens in the play offs is a lottery)
7 games to secure his job for next season.
He won't be sacked just because we don't make the playoffs. I'm sure he will be if we don't look like we're making progress or showing promise for next season. So you're right in a way that he has 7 games to secure his job.

He won't be sacked just because we don't make the playoffs. I'm sure he will be if we don't look like we're making progress or showing promise for next season. So you're right in a way that he has 7 games to secure his job.

I think with our run in from here, the next 3 followed by 3 rivals but at home then Exeter a side with nothing to play for it would be a major failure not to make top 6.

Especially when you factor in the position and points total we was at when Des took over.

If we don’t make top 6 then for me he will have to go unless a miraculous event happened where we won 5 out of 7 and Lincoln went and won all 7 of their games.

The thing with McGuane is he has such obvious ability and attributes, has at times shown himself to above this level and yet he always falls away badly. For a player of his quality to fall from where he was and where he should be to going down the leagues something must be up, people will always question that. You are right that someone will take him, but its another thing if anyone will ever solve the conundrum of getting the best out of him.
I don't think we've been the best choice of club for McGuane to progress his career. For a long period of time, he had entrusted Robinson with his development and given KR's inability to properly build a squad, we've seen McGuane deployed far deeper than he should be. I don't think many people would look at what he can be really good at and say 'you know what, I'll have him recycling possession in front of the back 4'.

In terms of minutes played, we've also flogged him pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if that tied into his drop offs. When he's fresh at the start of the season then he's always at his best and that's by being an explosive player who can burst past a man and carry the ball up the pitch. After a few months he starts losing his way, and I think a better assembled squad would utilise him better and know when to rotate him. There most likely is a mentality thing there too. Maybe he doesn't like the burden of us being so reliant on him and maybe he gets worn down by constantly being in Brannagan's shadow, and after a few months his legs start feeling a bit heavier and he starts looking backwards.

I've long thought the best formation for McGuane would be a 4-3-3 where you play a proper defensive midfielder to take responsibility for that area of the pitch, meaning McGuane would be free to receive the ball much higher up the pitch and then get running with it. I suspect it's gone past that point with us now though and he'd be happy to move on.

Yep. I feel that whilst DB will be judged on results, there will be some semblance of performance measurement too. Disappointing draws after leading for example may yield a point, but they're the kind of result that have seen us slip down the table. For all the horrors from last Tuesday, two wins and a defeat is better than a win and two draws. Essentially he needs ‘no more Bolton-style’ catastrophes until the end of the season and certainly no double or triple defeats in a row. It is very much knife-edge stuff.

Still, we’re in the mix and have to match or better Lincoln, Stevenage, Blackpool and perhaps Leyton Orient’s results to stay where we are. I can’t see us finishing higher than where we are barring an incredible run of wins with a series of dropped points from one of the three ‘catchable’ teams above us.

Even if we make the playoffs, can anyone see us winning them though? Bolton, Peterborough and Barnsley will likely fill spots 3rd to 5th and all of those sides are better than us.

I’m bored of listening to so and so has potential, he could be a good player etc.
The time is now and Buckingham needs to make sure that everyone is available and ready and good enough to make an impression week in week out

Back
Top Bottom