General Dean Holden

I'm not really sure about Appleton any more. Did fantastically well here but I was wary when a lot of our supporters wanted him back this time around. He's become a bit of a journeyman manager and when he says it will be interesting where he ends up next it sort of smacks of a man who, when he does get his next job, will probably be wondering where his next move will be after that. Needs to put down some roots for three or four years, build something, get another promotion on his CV and sort of re-invent himself again. I don't think many, if any, from halfway up L1 or above will be seriously considering him.

Early September is a really lousy time to join a club as a manager.

No chance to bring in your own players, so really you need your motivator types that can do the whole silk-purse-cow's-ear thing.

Still, they do have a big squad - they've used 22 players already (we've only used 18) despite having at least four first team guys in the treatment room throughout August. So an astute manager ought to be able to find something to work with......

I think that was a different set of circumstances though. Appleton was brought in as part of the takeover team by Eales and Ashton so they were always going to give him more time with his own players and tactics.

CM's group at Charlton inherited Dean Holden, and so much like a new manager wanting his own back room staff, I think it is not unreasonable for a new ownership group to have their own idea what sort of manager they want.

Holden was their man. The deal to takeover Charlton may not have concluded until after Holden was brought in, but CM was very much involved and sanctioned him being appointed in December and given a contract extension in March.

In that regard, Holden was exactly like Appleton but not afforded the same time or backing.

He seems like a decent bloke, but I’ve not seen anything in his coaching career that merits him getting another decent job at this level.

I think Chris Powell back in at Charlton would be a good fit

Cowley does not really fit the historical Charlton model. Not an advocate of youth or an attractive style of play. You get the feeling Cowley will only really prosper in environments where style is not a key requirement. He would have been the ideal candidate for Wycombe when Ainsworth jumped ship.
Mind you surely their fans are desparate for a new style of play? Wycombe have just shithoused it for a decade +

He seems like a decent bloke, but I’ve not seen anything in his coaching career that merits him getting another decent job at this level.

I think Chris Powell back in at Charlton would be a good fit

Walsall have made an iffy start to the season. I'm going to guess that he'll go there if they sack Sadler in a panic.