National News David Amess MP murdered

It's all just dreadfully sad. I can only imagine the sort of heinous comments being made about this on twitter, one of the main contributers to the political division.

I don't know if this is politically motivated or not, but the increasing political intolerance in the UK is worrying. As you say Essex, nobody goes to work not to come home.

It's all just dreadfully sad. I can only imagine the sort of heinous comments being made about this on twitter, one of the main contributers to the political division.

I don't know if this is politically motivated or not, but the increasing political intolerance in the UK is worrying. As you say Essex, nobody goes to work not to come home.

Let Twitter people bicker. US comedian Dave Chappelle summed it up recently by saying he doesn’t give a s**t what’s said on Twitter as it’s ‘not a real place’. Quite right. It’s just mouthpieces with a limited character count shouting into echo chambers.

Whilst my main memory of David Amess is from his appearance on Brass Eye, he was a good politician and served his constituents well for many years. I hope his killer gets served with justice.

Mad to think that this is two politicians have now been killed in such similar circumstances.

I got the BBC News alert, hoping it wasnt tk say he'd been killed...

Truly awful, so sad whatever party tit support.

Really terrible, he was apparently a good guy too, not that that matters. Whether it was an anti vaxxer or an Islamist I hope people won’t use it just to score points.
Definitely no point-scoring, but at some point we should look at why this has happened and what we can do to make sure it never, ever happens again

Doesn’t matter if he was a great MP or a bad one, he deserved more than what happened to him. This sort of thing absolutely cannot be allowed to happen. My thoughts are with his family, must be just terrible for them.
It really is an attack on democracy - the local surgeries are an absolute mainstay of our system and let people talk directly with their representative. Hard not to think they will be restricted now.

A simple security check would stop/negate such things. Same as many other venues.

Really terrible, he was apparently a good guy too, not that that matters. Whether it was an anti vaxxer or an Islamist I hope people won’t use it just to score points.

Sadly, whichever way the guilty person is found. That’ll happen.

Something has gone badly wrong if we need security checks (including searches?) for people to see their MP's or any other representative.
I wouldn`t disagree that something is very wrong if anyone thinks stabbing an MP to death will solve anything.
David Amess was a thoroughly decent constituency MP who always went the extra mile for all of his constituents and that his life has ended like this means some serious questions are asked around security.
As you well know there are bad people out there, and the damage they can cause can shake things to the core, as in this case.

So the majority of us may need to expect a little inconvenience to protect our elected representatives from bad people. IIRC the exact same conversation was had after Jo Cox was killed.

What else do you suggest?

I wouldn`t disagree that something is very wrong if anyone thinks stabbing an MP to death will solve anything.
David Amess was a thoroughly decent constituency MP who always went the extra mile for all of his constituents and that his life has ended like this means some serious questions are asked around security.
As you well know there are bad people out there, and the damage they can cause can shake things to the core, as in this case.

So the majority of us may need to expect a little inconvenience to protect our elected representatives from bad people. IIRC the exact same conversation was had after Jo Cox was killed.

What else do you suggest?

I suggest that we do more to identify and intervene with those who are mentally unwell (as is almost always the case in these instances). I suggest that we change the way we conduct our politics where we demonise those we disagree with. I suggest that we focus on so much positivity in this world rather than the tragic but thankfully exceptionally rare negative headlines. And I suggest that we resist any and ever attempt to put barriers in the way of normal life.

I suggest that we do more to identify and intervene with those who are mentally unwell (as is almost always the case in these instances). I suggest that we change the way we conduct our politics where we demonise those we disagree with. I suggest that we focus on so much positivity in this world rather than the tragic but thankfully exceptionally rare negative headlines. And I suggest that we resist any and ever attempt to put barriers in the way of normal life.

Nice positive words, sadly very unlikely to practically prevent such attacks.

In the 12 months to March 2021 there are 44,285 police reports of knife/sharp object crime. 221 murders and 23 dead children (under 17).

Society needs to increase the deterrent to make carrying and using a knife life-changing for the perpetrators.

Until that happens words, however well-intended, will be ineffective.

Terrible news, as others have said, nobody should go to work and not come home.
I suggest that we change the way we conduct our politics where we demonise those we disagree with.

In the 12 months to March 2021 there are 44,285 police reports of knife/sharp object crime. 221 murders and 23 dead children (under 17).

Society needs to increase the deterrent to make carrying and using a knife life-changing for the perpetrators.

Until that happens words, however well-intended, will be ineffective.
I'm sorry @Essexyellows but the knife crime in those numbers is very different to the knife crime seen in this incident. The way politicians and the media conduct themselves when talking about "the other side" very much does have an impact. I would hazard a bet the sick b**tard who did this today has never carried a knife before in his life.

You're right. These attacks are almost impossible to prevent. If someone is determined to attack their MP then searches or security checks at public meetings will only move the scene of the attack rather than prevent it.

You mention 221 knife murders which are all absolutely tragic. But how many would be prevented by significantly restricting the freedoms of all?

Back
Top Bottom