National News Covidiots.....

I haven't been to a supermarket for a couple of months. Never mind the 2 metres of air between the people, what about all the goods that have been handled by lord alone knows how many people in the food chain, logistics, shelf stacking and other shoppers? I think I'd feel happier standing a couple of metres away from my kids and having a conversation!

I guess that there is no way to entirely remove the risk, and we all have to judge what is right for us. I entirely understand why you'd want to see your kids and hope that you're all well.

I haven't been to a supermarket for a couple of months. Never mind the 2 metres of air between the people, what about all the goods that have been handled by lord alone knows how many people in the food chain, logistics, shelf stacking and other shoppers? I think I'd feel happier standing a couple of metres away from my kids and having a conversation!
I think the truth is no one really knows yet the comparative risk of infection. Just don't take unnecessary risks which will come down to advice and personal judgement.

That is exactly the same as the virus. A fine mist can be defended by your immune system, or may make you slightly poorly but maybe not enough to even notice.
Are you sure about that? You think the body can fend off a small amount of virus? Im no virologist, but if that's the case surely that's the basis for a series of jabs, each a bit stronger than the last, building up immunity in the body. And as this hasn't happened, I'd presume that it doesn't work that way.

Any experts on here (I men actual experts, not people who are 'twitter smart') who can comment?

Imagine a hosepipe set on a fine mist. You walk past it a couple of metres away and you may get very slightly damp, maybe not enough to even notice. It dries fairly quickly and everything is fine.

However, if you are sat next to the same hosepipe, the same distance apart, for several minutes, you eventually get soaked.

That is exactly the same as the virus. A fine mist can be defended by your immune system, or may make you slightly poorly but maybe not enough to even notice.

Whereas the constant exposure would overwhelm your immune system, leaving it unable to cope. That is why those who work in a clinical setting are at far greater risk because they are next to the hosepipe all day.

Social distancing and the 2 metre guidance was never meant to prevent risk, but to minimise it.

Good analogy, very helpful. Thanks.

Are you sure about that? You think the body can fend off a small amount of virus? Im no virologist, but if that's the case surely that's the basis for a series of jabs, each a bit stronger than the last, building up immunity in the body. And as this hasn't happened, I'd presume that it doesn't work that way.

Any experts on here (I men actual experts, not people who are 'twitter smart') who can comment?
There was a lot written about viral load a while back.

There was a lot written about viral load a while back.
In summary then, is what Scotchegg is suggesting how it works? There has been so much written over the last 2 months I'm not surprised at all that I may have missed something...

Somebody else has to do my shopping for me at the moment but they use gloves and grateful that they can do this for me. And when it is dropped off, I wear gloves and disinfect what I can using wipes. That which can't be cleaned off is left for a few days. Another variable that makes doing a shopping list interesting!!

Last edited:

The body does exactly that, which is why the vast majority get mild symptoms. The problem is that because it is an unknown threat, even slightly higher concentrations of the virus can kill as it targets the respiratory system. For those most ill, ventilation is used to keep the lungs functioning while the body becomes strong enough to fight the infection.

How that progresses into a viable vaccination or treatment I don't know! I lock up bad guys for a living so massively out of depth on that front!!

Both shopping and social distanted street 'parties' carry risk. The problem with street parties is that people become less risk adverse the more they drink.

Here in WA they’re talking about soon potentially allowing eat in restaurants (with strict distancing), but pubs are completely off the plans because people who are drinking won’t distance.

The body does exactly that, which is why the vast majority get mild symptoms. The problem is that because it is an unknown threat, even slightly higher concentrations of the virus can kill as it targets the respiratory system. For those most ill, ventilation is used to keep the lungs functioning while the body becomes strong enough to fight the infection.

How that progresses into a viable vaccination or treatment I don't know! I lock up bad guys for a living so massively out of depth on that front!!
Thanks, I've been reading a bit about viral loads in the sunshine - it's certainly a weird world at the moment, I was supposed to be in Birmingham watching Foals today, not reading virus spreading information!

Somebody else has to do my shopping for me at the moment but they use gloves and grateful that they can do this for me. And when it is dropped off, I wear gloves and disinfect what I can using wipes. That which can't be cleaned off is left for a few days. Another variable that makes doing a shopping list interesting!!
That's exactly what we are doing - although via a supermarket delivery slot when we can get one. Everything is disinfected at the front door with a mixture of water and bleach (wearing a mask and gloves), wrappings discarded where practical (the bags the stuff is delivered in, fruit bags, etc) and other non-frozen stuff left outside the back door if possible for as long as we can. It takes bloody ages!

That's exactly what we are doing - although via a supermarket delivery slot when we can get one. Everything is disinfected at the front door with a mixture of water and bleach (wearing a mask and gloves), wrappings discarded where practical (the bags the stuff is delivered in, fruit bags, etc) and other non-frozen stuff left outside the back door if possible for as long as we can. It takes bloody ages!

It is absolutely necessary but a right pain to do. :(

It is absolutely necessary but a right pain to do. :(
How come we can recognise that and react accordingly and yet a trip to my local supermarket is still a nightmare? Just spent 10 minutes queuing to get in, in itself not bad, collect a trolley from a store member of staff who has sanitised it first, very good, and then enter the store to have half a dozen prats almost brush past me in their desire to get "the shopping" done in record time? What is so difficult to accept that some of us would really like to respect the two metre advice?
Having said that, noticed today, some of the younger members of staff reverting to normal standing around chatting to their colleagues oblivious of anyone trying to get past.
Maybe it's me but perhaps the novelty of "social distancing" has lost it's relevance with those who are obviously invulnerable.

How come we can recognise that and react accordingly and yet a trip to my local supermarket is still a nightmare? Just spent 10 minutes queuing to get in, in itself not bad, collect a trolley from a store member of staff who has sanitised it first, very good, and then enter the store to have half a dozen prats almost brush past me in their desire to get "the shopping" done in record time? What is so difficult to accept that some of us would really like to respect the two metre advice?
Having said that, noticed today, some of the younger members of staff reverting to normal standing around chatting to their colleagues oblivious of anyone trying to get past.
Maybe it's me but perhaps the novelty of "social distancing" has lost it's relevance with those who are obviously invulnerable.

Where I work their is no real attempt to social distance by staff, it’s mostly working class blokes so it was hardly an environment where people cuddled but at the same time people often are inside of 6 feet of each other. This is at a place that deals with hospital waste, has had someone actually die of coronavirus (not caught at work and he was vulnerable but you would think the news would be a wake up call) and has had a decent number off with confirmed/suspected/family isolation cases. Management occasionally mention it but with no real pressure put on it, hand wash and signs have appeared over the last couple of weeks but it’s been very much as usual from what I can see (got moved there as my department hasn’t enough work). No one seems that bothered despite some of the workers being over 50 and not exactly of the Anthony Joshua body type.

I do wonder if it’s really possible to social distance in fast moving, physical work places where people have worked for years in a certain way or whether it will just be lip service as more return to work and the pressures of getting jobs done.

Where I work their is no real attempt to social distance by staff, it’s mostly working class blokes so it was hardly an environment where people cuddled but at the same time people often are inside of 6 feet of each other. This is at a place that deals with hospital waste, has had someone actually die of coronavirus (not caught at work and he was vulnerable but you would think the news would be a wake up call) and has had a decent number off with confirmed/suspected/family isolation cases. Management occasionally mention it but with no real pressure put on it, hand wash and signs have appeared over the last couple of weeks but it’s been very much as usual from what I can see (got moved there as my department hasn’t enough work). No one seems that bothered despite some of the workers being over 50 and not exactly of the Anthony Joshua body type.

I do wonder if it’s really possible to social distance in fast moving, physical work places where people have worked for years in a certain way or whether it will just be lip service as more return to work and the pressures of getting jobs done.
Scary.

Just glad that I took early retirement. I can't imagine what my ex work place would be like.

Here in WA they’re talking about soon potentially allowing eat in restaurants (with strict distancing), but pubs are completely off the plans because people who are drinking won’t distance.
Was the same here. They opened up the pubs last Monday, lasted one day as customers totally ignored the social distancing and then all pubs were reshut back down.

That's what a lot don't get, it's a test and if you ignore it, the accessibility to do or have something will be take away again for even longer.

Was the same here. They opened up the pubs last Monday, lasted one day as customers totally ignored the social distancing and then all pubs were reshut back down.

That's what a lot don't get, it's a test and if you ignore it, the accessibility to do or have something will be take away again for even longer.

The difference will be here the pubs will be left open in that scenario or closed down a week or 2 later.

Back
Top Bottom