General Clarkson’s Farm

I wonder if they are trying to make an example after he basically took the P**s out of the planning laws on his show and has breached previous permissions granted!
well that, and deliberately engineering traffic chaos to get publicity (not that he needs to try that hard, think the Mail have averaged over 2 stories a week over the last year).

Kaleb clearly not the 'star' they try and make out, his kit/boots are pretty much the only things unsold for the Mickey Lewis fund.

The show features heavily around NIMBY's and county councils. What does that remind you of...

Having just finished series 2, have a question for Oxfordshire folk on here, can you understand Gerald, is it an accent or just gibberish?

Having just finished series 2, have a question for Oxfordshire folk on here, can you understand Gerald, is it an accent or just gibberish?
They edit him to combine his sentences. You can understand certain parts of what he's saying, but normally the first half of the sentence is unrelated to the second.

It’s not gibberish, it’s Geraldish. Great character, but like you. I can’t understand most of it if any.

I can perfectly understand him, a lot of my fathers generation in the villages around Chippy spoke similar to Gerald, especially in the farming communities. There can be a tendency to not finish words or sentences clearly, mumbling a bit if you like, if you‘ve grown up with it I guess your ear is attuned to it, however I get why ‘outsiders’ would struggle to understand Gerald. I agree with @bashamwonderland that it’s been deliberately edited to make him come across as the local Village idiot.
The West Oxon/Gloucestershire border rural accent is less strong now for sure, and sadly in time will die out.

I can perfectly understand him, a lot of my fathers generation in the villages around Chippy spoke similar to Gerald, especially in the farming communities. There can be a tendency to not finish words or sentences clearly, mumbling a bit if you like, if you‘ve grown up with it I guess your ear is attuned to it, however I get why ‘outsiders’ would struggle to understand Gerald. I agree with @bashamwonderland that it’s been deliberately edited to make him come across as the local Village idiot.
The West Oxon/Gloucestershire border rural accent is less strong now for sure, and sadly in time will die out.
I grew up with that accent, toned it down when I went off for uni and found a professional job, and now I've lost it. It's genuinely one of my only regrets in life.

They edit him to combine his sentences. You can understand certain parts of what he's saying, but normally the first half of the sentence is unrelated to the second.
I can't really understand any of it at all mate, but I reckon you must have an ear for it coming from that way. Looks like a beautiful part of the world west Oxfordshire.

Although there are moments I don't understand what he's saying (yes, possibly editing) there are also other moments when I think he sounds just like my dad. 😳

Although there are moments I don't understand what he's saying (yes, possibly editing) there are also other moments when I think he sounds just like my dad. 😳
Yeah my grandad sounded like that, since he died I've not really heard an accent that strong. It's nice to know there are still a few out there!

• React
Reactions: QR
I wonder if they are trying to make an example after he basically took the P**s out of the planning laws on his show and has breached previous permissions granted!
I doubt it. People completely misunderstand the planning process and this programme understandably doesn't go out of its way to clarify it.

The policies, rules, regulations etc he/anyone has to abide by/meet are set by full Council in accordance with the powers/autonomy given to councils by Central government. The planning Committee is a quasi-judicial body whose role is to ensure the council's policies, rules, regulations are applied accurately and consistently. So members of the planning Committee should not allow their personal gripes to affect their decision making. Many don't understand this and then turn down applications that actually comply with the polices etc of the council. You then see the applicant appeal, win their appeal and the council pick up, sometimes not insubstantial, costs! The only role the parish council has is in pointing out where it thinks an application either complies with or not the policies etc of the council and its comments are fed to the decision makers for consideration

Back
Top Bottom