International News Black Lives Matter

The three co-founders of the BLM movement are Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi.

Patrisse Cullors said in 2015:

"We do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia, in particular, are trained organizers; we are trained Marxists. We are superversed on, sort of, ideological theories. And I think what we really try to do is build a movement that could be utilized by many, many Black folks."

Now anyone could look back at that snapshot in history and easily say it is a Marxist movement.

However that would be like looking back further and suggest all white people are racist/slave traders etc etc.

Cuts both ways.

The three co-founders of the BLM movement are Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi.

"We do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia, in particular, are trained organizers; we are trained Marxists. We are superversed on, sort of, ideological theories. And I think what we really try to do is build a movement that could be utilized by many, many Black folks."

Now anyone could look back at that snapshot in history and easily say it is a Marxist movement.

However that would be like looking back further and suggest all white people are racist/slave traders etc etc.

Cuts both ways.
Wow! The forum descends into ever more ludicrous depths of paranoia and entitled anger.

Cuts both ways.
Are you reading what anyone else is writing? It’s not about the political movement called “BLM” - it’s you that is making the connection. This is about footy players making a symbolic reference to discrimination against black people.

To hammer the poppy appeal angle further, you can point at the Earl Haig controversy, about the “lions led by donkeys”. “Many have described Douglas Haig's strategy as blinkered and claim the military leader should bear a heavy and perhaps unforgivable responsibility for the British slaughter, calling into question the Commander's judgement and humanity.”
Will that make people boo folk wearing a poppy? And if they do, have they lost the plot?

• React
Reactions: QR
Are you reading what anyone else is writing? It’s not about the political movement called “BLM” - it’s you that is making the connection. This is about footy players making a symbolic reference to discrimination against black people.

To hammer the poppy appeal angle further, you can point at the Earl Haig controversy, about the “lions led by donkeys”. “Many have described Douglas Haig's strategy as blinkered and claim the military leader should bear a heavy and perhaps unforgivable responsibility for the British slaughter, calling into question the Commander's judgement and humanity.”
Will that make people boo folk wearing a poppy? And if they do, have they lost the plot?

The "taking the knee" was inspired as a response to the actions of an American police officer when arresting a known criminal.
It became intrinsically linked with BLM and their movement.

Earlier in this thread there was a comparison with clapping for the NHS! Now that is a leap of faith!

Wearing a poppy is in remembrance of all that died in war..... no division based on anything, all that died.

The "taking the knee" was inspired as a response to the actions of an American police officer when arresting a known criminal.

Earlier in this thread there was a comparison with clapping for the NHS! Now that is a leap of faith!

Wearing a poppy is in remembrance of all that died in war..... no division based on anything, all that died.

Sorry, but you’re just choosing which story suits your opinion. (firstly, I’ve got nothing against the poppy appeal - I come from an army family and have been evacuated from a war zone as a kid and attend more remembrance services than most), but I can find plenty of divisive commentary on poppies: eg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy
“The Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal caused some controversy, with some—including British Army veterans—who argued that the symbol was being used excessively to marshal support for British military campaigns and that public figures were pressured to wear the poppies.”
That paragraph isn’t 100 miles away from the taking-the-knee-at-British-football-game dialogue.

Whether you choose to see 22 players at Grenoble road taking the knee as a targeted political statement, or acknowledgement of discrimination is no different at all from how you choose to view poppy wearers. The difference is in your perception.

The "taking the knee" began years before the incident where police killed someone by kneeling on his neck. (The fact that you portray this as "arresting a known criminal" is deliberately obtuse!)

It was picked up by movements such as BLM but was originally used as a non-violent protest against the treatment of black Americans. It continues on a wider level to show support for black people in all communities.

The point is that you do not have to believe in the origins of a cause or those who use the causes for political measures. But you can respect those who do.

No it wasn't.

"American Football quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat on the bench during the US national anthem to protest against police brutality and racism in a pre-season game on 26 August 2016.

Kaepernick said at the time: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour.""

Source.

Black people and people of colour, mind.

No it wasn't.

"American Football quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat on the bench during the US national anthem to protest against police brutality and racism in a pre-season game on 26 August 2016.

Kaepernick said at the time: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour.""

Source.

Black people and people of colour, mind.

I`m talking in relation to BLM and the current "trend".
Didn`t notice any footballers taking the knee pre- George Floyd`s death did you?
I mean they had 3+ years to do so........

Nice highlight that Kaepernick was protesting against police brutality in 2016...... plus ce change

Do you think police brutality against non-white people will just wither away if there's no protest?

Or will you be more comfortable on your weird pretence that everyone in the world has equal opportunities?

Police brutality, to the point of killing folk, is not a major UK issue as we have better trained police, better legislation regarding firearms etc etc.

In the US everyone is "on the front foot" as it is very likely the person is armed and that often ends very badly. A matter for the USA to resolve but unlikely to happen due to the "right to bear arms" bulls**t.

No not "everyone in the world" will have equal opportunities but that is just life and "luck of the draw" which is far beyond anyone`s control. Society can work to make it better but that is reliant on sharing what we have and the human race is inherently selfish..... or "privileged" depending on your point of view.

Would anyone posting on this thread sacrifice a notional 40% of their property, belongings or earnings to make life better for someone in a poorer country? Nope, not one of them.

Sniff the coffee, anyone born in the UK is, almost by default both lucky and privileged what they choose to make of their life is down to them.

Colour immaterial.

I believe any individual should get a job or promotion purely on merit.
The police currently have a policy of offering employment on the basis that ‘priority will be given’ to those under represented. This is patently wrong.
If a woman is better qualified and suited to a role than a man they should get the job

No it isn't. White kids are more likely to get jobs than their non-white counterparts. Despite being thicker and lazier.

Source: UK government report.
Does that include Indian kids ...or does colour not affect hard work , family units and being pushed to do their best. Their are reasons and not just as simple as colour. It needs a much wider review and the family unit is a massive part for successful kids growing up .

Do you think police brutality against non-white people will just wither away if there's no protest?

Or will you be more comfortable on your weird pretence that everyone in the world has equal opportunities?
so no one else gets treated badly by police plenty do white or not this ridicouls notion of all black people are treated like second class citizens and treated underfoot in society is false .

Does that include Indian kids ...or does colour not affect hard work , family units and being pushed to do their best. Their are reasons and not just as simple as colour. It needs a much wider review and the family unit is a massive part for successful kids growing up .
Absolutely actually but then that part of society seems to crack on get educated earn more that whites and blacks and commit less crime. Basically unlike the white working class and black community they cary on without a chip on their shoulder and they reap the rewards. Statistically black families are more likely to be single parent/absent father families and Indians are towards the bottom of the list https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...y/demographics/families-and-households/latest

Back
Top Bottom