General Atmosphere

Just been skimming these so sorry if this has already been said (I'm sure it has) BUT just in case:

Any chance of getting some more singers into the north stand? I understand I might have to magic them out of my a**e, and if you're London Road you're London Road, but thought it was worth asking...could help improve things somewhat. Get right into it with the away fans- giving it that edge. Bit o spice.

I've been coming for 15 years and the atmosphere is objectively worse than it's ever been. I know there's numerous reasons for that, social, cultural etc. but we need to push it where we can.

Get the the lads with the flags back, the ultras. Do they all support Oxford City now or what? Moved to Milton Keynes and started dogging? Rock climbing in Banbury?

1-0 up against league leaders after an hour and a completely silent stadium.

1-0 up against league leaders after an hour and a completely silent stadium.
Pompey had an orchestra today and a choir.
I thought trumpeter playing “you don’t know what your doing “ was amusing .
A drummer( with a drum ) is needed

Pompey had an orchestra today and a choir.
I thought trumpeter playing “you don’t know what your doing “ was amusing .
A drummer( with a drum ) is needed

Just the booming sort Pompey had where it drowns out the chanting. A snare drum however would work.

At Rovers on Saturday, I was stood just along from someone who tried to get a few songs going towards the start of the game. I looked around, and not many seemed interested in joining in. Not a huge surprise - it's not the best away end at the best of times, so fair enough, I guess. What wasn't fair, though, was that a chap stood in front of the guy who was singing turned around and instructed him to 'stop shouting and screaming'. Two minutes later we were 1-0 down and the moaning and groaning started. Any slim chance of a song breaking out had evidently completely gone.

If anything sums up our fan base at the moment and why the atmosphere is always so poor - that was it.

Last edited:
It actually winds me up.
I know that our fans care and give hard earned cash to the cause, but fook me, once you are in the ground go the extra yard and give the players a fighting chance!

I remember the electricity of the London road and even some matches at the wind tunnel…its like giving the players the most inspirational team talk. We are letting the players down.

I thought Pompeys band hid that they were not loud in terms of vocals, cheating in a way.

We were as bad as ever though, not much can be done with an ageing fanbase with no real groups of lads of the right age at the moment, we discouraged that and we are paying the price at the moment.

If you want to counter act ,the away fans ,the north stand Should be where the singers should be.
There'd be no excuses no more, & blaming it on acoustics & no 4th stand ,oh it's the way we're facing. It should be better for us than away fans in that end ,because the home section is bigger...
Before anyone say's it, I know it's the family stand. But it wasn't before & I think that is one of the reasons why the atmosphere s gone flat. People have dispersed to othe sections of the stadium.

You got to admit when they scored ,that was every man & his dog , was singing & bouncing up & down. That looked good..

I thought Pompeys band hid that they were not loud in terms of vocals, cheating in a way.

We were as bad as ever though, not much can be done with an ageing fanbase with no real groups of lads of the right age at the moment, we discouraged that and we are paying the price at the moment.
There's plenty of youngsters at the back of the east stand

Although if everyone on here who moans about the atmosphere sung it would be like La Bombanera, so we are all just as culpable.

Still don't get people filming an event they are at mind.

The 'aging fanbase' argument only goes so far. When the Pompey fans were in full voice it was clear the majority of them were singing together in unison, and you can't tell me all of them were under 30.

I think we have a culture that doesn't encourage singing. It's a family club and I think the majority of a fanbase prefers a nice day out more than anything else.

The club are rightly criticised at times for not doing more to encourage a better atmosphere, but as fans we don't do a lot to help either. Why opt to stand on the terrace if you're going to get upset with someone trying to start a few songs? Why, if you don't sing, would you stubbornly sit in your 'allocated' seat in the away end if you it's prime position behind the goal and there's free seats further to the sides? (The same arguable applies to the home end).

Last edited:
The 'aging fanbase' argument only goes so far. When the Pompey fans were in full voice it was clear the majority of them were singing together in unison, and you can't tell me all of them were under 30.

I think we have a culture that doesn't encourage singing. It's a family club and I thin the majority of a fanbase prefers a nice day out more than anything else.

The club are rightly criticised at times for not doing more to encourage a better atmosphere, but as fans we don't do a lot to help either. Why opt to stand on the terrace if you're going to get upset with someone trying to start a few songs? Why, if you don't sing, would you stubbornly sit in your 'allocated' seat in the away end if you it's prime position behind the goal and there's free seats further to the sides? (The same arguable applies to the home end).

You are right there, I have a few elderly couples that sit near me in a decent area of the East Stand who don't like people standing up, walking past them, shouting, singing or cheering, generally don't like the behaviour associated with attending football behind the goal. Fair play to them for attending but they barely move when we score, used o be a bit of a laugh and a bit raucous by me but now we have these its closer to a mausoleum, I doubt Gladys and Ken were sat in the middle of pompeys support tutting because someone stood up.

I think we have a culture that doesn't encourage singing. It's a family club and I thin the majority of a fanbase prefers a nice day out more than anything else.

Imo that culture doesn't exist because of who supports us.

Take clubs with those really good atmospheres (like Pompey), a lot of the fans in that away end will have had their dads, grandads etc being huge Pompey supporters, attending most games. It's a generational thing - a line of people who were raised to be 'die hard' fans. How many of the younger lads at Oxford have that?

I'm in my early 20's. My dad was a huge Oxford fan in the 80's/90's, went to most games home and away with his dad and mates. These days it's a miracle if he makes it to 3 home games a season. I was raised with an interest in Oxford but it wasn't till I attended a game in my mid-teens that I really got into being a 'proper' Oxford fan. Out of his big group of friends he used to go with home and away, only 1 still goes to any games at all.

There are obviously some like it, but Oxford doesn't seem to run in family blood to the same extent it does in with some other clubs. I have no idea why, though.

I think we have a culture that doesn't encourage singing. It's a family club and I think the majority of a fanbase prefers a nice day out more than anything else.

They weren't most of the Pompey i see weren't youngsters..

Imo that culture doesn't exist because of who supports us.

Take clubs with those really good atmospheres (like Pompey), a lot of the fans in that away end will have had their dads, grandads etc being huge Pompey supporters, attending most games. It's a generational thing - a line of people who were raised to be 'die hard' fans. How many of the younger lads at Oxford have that?

I'm in my early 20's. My dad was a huge Oxford fan in the 80's/90's, went to most games home and away with his dad and mates. These days it's a miracle if he makes it to 3 home games a season. I was raised with an interest in Oxford but it wasn't till I attended a game in my mid-teens that I really got into being a 'proper' Oxford fan. Out of his big group of friends he used to go with home and away, only 1 still goes to any games at all.

There are obviously some like it, but Oxford doesn't seem to run in family blood to the same extent it does in with some other clubs. I have no idea why, though.
With respect, I think that's rubbish. Just about everyone I know who is an Oxford fan comes from OUFC families. I'd suggest the vast majority of our fans were brought up as Oxford.

1706700276508.png

Back
Top Bottom