General Atmosphere

LeftSideLarry

Little weird there was no song acknowledging the new boss at any point last night.
It was almost like he wasn't actually there. Saw him wave just before kick off and that was it.
No idea if he stood in his box or just sat on the bench the entire game, but didn't see him after that wave.
He stood for the whole match.

The lack of noise generally is baffling to me. I can’t remember a season where the atmosphere has been so flat at home.

He stood for the whole match.

The lack of noise generally is baffling to me. I can’t remember a season where the atmosphere has been so flat at home.
To be 100% honest I think the lack of noise at home especially is partly due to the brand of football we now play. It’s possession based and much of it between the back 4 and goalkeeper. The number of times when we actually get in behind, or move the ball into the final 3rd at pace, with players busting to get in the box is very minimal, so we don’t actually play in a way that has people really excited, with bums off seats and roaring the boys on. The ground and 3 sides clearly don’t help one bit, but much of the lack of atmosphere is because we simply don’t go all out for goals, so just don’t generate the sort of excitement that back in the day had people constantly off their seats or jumping up and down.

It‘s very much a 2-way thing. Give the fans something to be really excited about in terms of shots and goalmouth action and they will give back with noise. I think it’s fair to say that at home this season especially our best play has been kicking to the car park end. I used to be excited when the 2nd half started, kicking to the East Stand expecting a real onslaught at the oppositions goal, but that just doesn’t seem to happen these days, as our style doesn’t match that sort of ambition. We have the odd 5 minute spell here and there but just not the overall way of playing to generate the atmosphere that many of us crave and would love to hear at every home game, regardless of who we are playing.

To be 100% honest I think the lack of noise at home especially is partly due to the brand of football we now play. It’s possession based and much of it between the back 4 and goalkeeper. The number of times when we actually get in behind, or move the ball into the final 3rd at pace, with players busting to get in the box is very minimal, so we don’t actually play in a way that has people really excited, with bums off seats and roaring the boys on. The ground and 3 sides clearly don’t help one bit, but much of the lack of atmosphere is because we simply don’t go all out for goals, so just don’t generate the sort of excitement that back in the day had people constantly off their seats or jumping up and down.

It‘s very much a 2-way thing. Give the fans something to be really excited about in terms of shots and goalmouth action and they will give back with noise. I think it’s fair to say that at home this season especially our best play has been kicking to the car park end. I used to be excited when the 2nd half started, kicking to the East Stand expecting a real onslaught at the oppositions goal, but that just doesn’t seem to happen these days, as our style doesn’t match that sort of ambition. We have the odd 5 minute spell here and there but just not the overall way of playing to generate the atmosphere that many of us crave and would love to hear at every home game, regardless of who we are playing.
Sure.

But 3rd.

Think you're spot on with this. It's hard to get excited when the thing you're watching for large parts isn't very, well, exciting!

It isn't unique to our fanbase - very few football fans are willing to stand and sing the whole game regardless of what's happening on the pitch.

It’s due to people not singing, like me and you, so moaning about something you yourself play a part in gets a bit tiring.

With respect, the SSU brigade do not take kindly to their prawn sarnies being interrupted by singing.

With respect, the SSU brigade do not take kindly to their prawn sarnies being interrupted by singing.

Don't really just think its the SSU now though, all parts of the ground are quieter. I am just as much to blame as anyone else though, time I spend chatting/catching up with mates I don't see in between games, checking my phone (bad habit but who apart from sarge hasn't picked that one up) or just plain watching the game rather than in the past when I would of been getting behind the team, even the SSU could be guaranteed to have a go at the ref if he dared to give a throw in against us but its a more passive support from all areas now. We could all do better.

Think you're spot on with this. It's hard to get excited when the thing you're watching for large parts isn't very, well, exciting!

It isn't unique to our fanbase - very few football fans are willing to stand and sing the whole game regardless of what's happening on the pitch.
It's a shame because our away support has been absolutely fantastic this season, both in numbers and decibels.

It's a shame because our away support has been absolutely fantastic this season, both in numbers and decibels.
I’d actually say Wigan away this season was the worst atmosphere I’ve witnessed from our away fans for many many years. Yes we lost but even before the game no one seemed up for it and there were 600 of us there.

I appreciate it’s not necessarily a binary thing, but this was always the Robbo issue. Play this front foot attacking football that means you see off the worst teams in the division comfortably most of the time, but then get snuffed out and picked off the moment you play anyone decent. Agreed it’s less blood and thunder now, but I think we have more control over games generally and our league position reflects this.

Also worth noting that with Edwards and Browne back, Mills growing into the division, Murphy beginning to look threatening and RR acclimatising to the league, I think our attacking play will only get more exciting and ‘bums off seats’ as the season goes on.

Also to whoever said they can’t remember a season where the vocal support was this bad - did you not attend any games last year?!
I had this conversation with my brother a few weeks ago, before Manning jumped ship. I don’t think we’ve lost a single game we should’ve drawn, or drawn a single game we should’ve won, but there are numerous examples (including the ones you’ve mentioned) where we walked away with points we probably didn’t deserve.

We have nicked a few points but we haven’t been robbed of any, IMO. Even in the Vale game, where we managed to draw level in the 92nd minute with ten men and chucked it away needlessly a few minutes later, we ultimately got what we deserved over the course of the game.
I take the point generally but couldn’t disagree more with this. Vale created precisely nothing in that game, and were absolutely gifted three points by one of the poorest refereeing performances the kassam has ever seen. Even the one chance they created for their first goal came from a set piece that was never a foul.

I’d actually say Wigan away this season was the worst atmosphere I’ve witnessed from our away fans for many many years. Yes we lost but even before the game no one seemed up for it and there 600 of us there.

The best atmosphere I have witnessed from us recently was Leyton Orient away, but that’s more a lads away day in London so perhaps that’s understandable, people have had a few beers and are in bigger groups, whereas at home that’s not really the case.

So far in the league we have played 9 games at home, won 5, lost 1 and drawn 3.
Last night was the first game we have failed to score in.
Only 3 of the 9 games have we just scored 1 goal.
In total we have scored 15 goals in all home league games.

So I’m not sure I buy into this ‘boring’ brand of football. I’d rather watch us now than when we played under Atkins.

So I’m not sure I buy into this ‘boring’ brand of football. I’d rather watch us now than when we played under Atkins.

I don’t think it’s us, more football as a whole has become more technical and tactical, used to see two wingers, two centre forwards and an attacking midfielder, there were variations on this but it was a more attacking game with more crossing, shots etc. Now it’s all about shape, possession etc and a chunk of time can pass with the ball not getting into either of box, crunching tackles have been banned so you can start having a batter to the person next you and quite often not miss anything.

It happens in all sports, they get better technically and in terms of pure quality over time but not necessarily in terms of entertainment, better organisation is not necessarily better to watch.

I haven’t said it’s boring and I’m not knocking it, our league position is excellent. I’m just saying we are not playing edge of your seat, make the stadium rock type of football, which is a major factor in why for large parts the crowd are fairly quiet, particularly when shooting towards the home end. We don’t see wave after wave of attacking football to get the crowd really going. It’s more short sharp bursts interspersed in a lot of possession based cagey build up.

I‘d certainly like to see a lot more intent going forward and much more in front of goal and in the oppositions penalty box, but totally get the way we are playing, which is similar to a lot “footballing” teams now. Maybe Des will install something a little different to the previous managers style given time, and then the noise levels will no doubt lift.

I haven’t said it’s boring and I’m not knocking it, our league position is excellent. I’m just saying we are not playing edge of your seat, make the stadium rock type of football, which is a major factor in why for large parts the crowd are fairly quiet, particularly when shooting towards the home end. We don’t see wave after wave of attacking football to get the crowd really going. It’s more short sharp bursts interspersed in a lot of possession based cagey build up.

I‘d certainly like to see a lot more intent going forward and much more in front of goal and in the oppositions penalty box, but totally get the way we are playing, which is similar to a lot “footballing” teams now. Maybe Des will install something a little different to the previous managers style given time, and then the noise levels will no doubt lift.
You are right, we don’t play the ‘two wingers charging down the hill in the second half’ so much any more, which I must admit I really enjoyed. Last night’s game was enjoyable and absorbing but had few moments that really got you excited- and a lot of it was nerve-wracking defending at the other end. I’m not knocking it but can see why the crowd is quieter.

I think that’s a fair and valid point. The ground was deathly quiet at times last night, very unusual for such a big game. It could well be because we aren’t pouring forwards in waves, it’s like the crowd are saying ‘oh I’m not going to bother getting too worked up because we’ll be passing around the back four in a minute, I’ll just get up for it when we get near goal and then sit back down’

Im not knocking it either but there has to be a reason why the noise drops to a complete silence and this could well be why. An interesting observation.

Back
Top Bottom