Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Yeah, you can basically date when it started to fall apart for KR to when Gorrin got injured. He was that important to us. I still feel he's a little underrated tbh, despite all the kind words here since his departure.

A sad and ignominious end to his time here. A signing that went really under the radar when he originally signed but who is in the bracket of Henry and Taylor as players who were one crazy Henry decision in front of goal and one Moore/Eastwood brain fart away from being written into oxford folklore in the same bracket as your Lundstrams, Potters and Hyltons.

My abiding Gorrin memory is from when I was lucky enough to be one of the ST holders to get a seat at Hull at home in 2020, the first match in person in that bizarre stage of our lives since Shrewsbury in the March. An emotional day all round, but I remember being struck, watching a game from behind the goal for the first time in months, how Gorrin covered the entire width of that pitch in a way you just couldn’t appreciate on iFollow. The guy was everywhere.

A hugely valuable and effective player for the role he was brought in to do. As I say, it’s very sad the way his time here has ended - but equally, his time was up, from a playing perspective, some time ago.

The best of luck to him in all he goes on to do now.

Last edited:
A sad and ignominious end to his time here. A signing that went really under the radar when he originally signed but who is in the bracket of Henry and Taylor as players who were one crazy Henry decision in front of goal and one Moore/Eastwood brain fart away from being written into oxford folklore in the same bracket as your Lundstrams, Potters and Hyltons.

My abiding Gorrin memory is from when I was lucky enough to be one of the ST holders to get a seat at Hull at home in 2020, the first match in person in that bizarre stage of our lives since Shrewsbury in the March. An emotional day all round, but I remember being struck, watching a game from behind the goal for the first time in months, how Gorrin covered the entire width of that pitch in a way you just couldn’t appreciate on iFollow. The guy was everywhere.

A hugely valuable and effective player for the role he was brought in to do. As I say, it’s very sad the way his time here has ended - but equally, his time was up, from a playing perspective, some time ago.

Yes! I was at that game too , sitting in an unfamiliar seat, and was awestruck by the way he patrolled his strip of pitch. Good luck Alex and I hope you’re fit enough to play lots more games.

Just an aside from the main point of the post (which I wholly agree with)

But do you really think Henry and Taylor are in a lower bracket in Oxford folklore than Lundstram and Hylton?
(Potter I will concede, as he scored the most important goal in the history of the club......and that does tend to put you in a special category of your own!)

Played many more games, at a higher level; scored a lot more goals (I think they are #9 & #11 all-time). Sure, they never got promoted....but they did create a lot of happy memories over a long period of time.

For me, Henry and Taylor are not Oxford legends, but they are both in the next tier down.
Meanwhile Hylton is in the cult heroes bracket (along with your likes of David Rush & Chris Maguire)
Lundstram is in the "Great players who weren't here long enough to qualify as legends" bracket (along with others like Dean Windass & Dean Saunders)

Loved watching him play in 19/20, 20/21 and the first half of 21/22.
My sort of player - high energy, read the defensive side of the game beautifully, loved a tackle and solid at moving the ball on to his more talented teammates.

Never quite the same player after his first knee injury......hopefully he can find his game again at a lower level.
This

A naturally defensive player who instinctively knew how to cover for other players, particularly overlapping fullbacks, in a way that Herbie Kane or Marcus McGuane can’t or don’t.

Definitely in the underrated category.

Just an aside from the main point of the post (which I wholly agree with)

But do you really think Henry and Taylor are in a lower bracket in Oxford folklore than Lundstram and Hylton?
(Potter I will concede, as he scored the most important goal in the history of the club......and that does tend to put you in a special category of your own!)

Played many more games, at a higher level; scored a lot more goals (I think they are #9 & #11 all-time). Sure, they never got promoted....but they did create a lot of happy memories over a long period of time.

For me, Henry and Taylor are not Oxford legends, but they are both in the next tier down.
Meanwhile Hylton is in the cult heroes bracket (along with your likes of David Rush & Chris Maguire)
Lundstram is in the "Great players who weren't here long enough to qualify as legends" bracket (along with others like Dean Windass & Dean Saunders)
So would you put Rob Hall in the Legend bracket on an mportant/ memorable goal?

So would you put Rob Hall in the Legend bracket on an mportant/ memorable goal?

No - Alfie Potter isn't in the legend bracket either, but he does have his own iconic spot in Oxford folklore for Wembley 2010.

Rob Hall has a similar but not so lofty spot for his goal - it's a complex tapestry.

The legend bracket, to my mind, has a very, very high bar. Requires a rare combination of quality, longevity and character.
I would only place three players there from my Oxford following lifetime (started '93) - Beauchamp, Elliott, Constable.
Cam has a shot to join them, but he needs 2-3 more seasons at his current level and/or a promotion to qualify.

A very good write up for the lad

Agree with the sentiment that Gorrin was underrated pre-injuries. He gave his all every match, had tremendous defensive instinct, added much needed balance to our team and, thus, allowed the likes of CamBran to flourish. Also agree that his first injury was the catalyst for KR's decline.

All the best at FGR, Alex. Thanks for all your efforts in a yellow shirt.

Dave Langan, Billy Hamilton and most definitely Trevor Hebberd. A legend isn’t about longevity in my opinion, it’s about the lasting impression, the imprint a player has made on the club. I wouldn’t quite put Maguire there but he’s up there, more cult hero than legend perhaps. Of the managers, only really Jim Smith in my opinion. He’s been the most legendary Oxford figure in my 52 years a fan.

Stepping back to Gorrin...

What a genuinely top bloke. Unfortunate and sad end, but hope he will do a good job at FGR, and wherever after that. Great servant to the club, and glad that we had the decency to support him through both recoveries.

Won't find many better players with a Spanish/Scott's accent. Weirdly, each time I watch him play he's always taller than I remember him being.

Back
Top Bottom