Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

He was decent when we first got him, and his injury rather derailed him. However, his record of consistently getting booked early on in games (meaning he was then on a tightrope for the rest and was less effective as a 'stopper') was the subject of equal parts amusement and exasperation for lots of some of us in the stands.

Hope he does well there, he's had horrible luck.

Strange comments from Deeney, almost sounds like he still wont get much game time at FGR.

"I saw in that time [his trial] what he could do, not necessarily with the ball but more for what he does around the place," Forest Green manager Troy Deeney told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

"I think he'll have a huge role to play with the development of Harvey Bunker and Alfie Bendle.

"While he'll add value in the short-term of playing and getting his career back on track, he'll be adding quality to the group.

"He's also got a role in terms of mentorship and explaining and talking those guys day-to-day, and what it's like to be a top professional.

"I'm not saying that they're not, but there are levels to what you have to do."

Good luck to him. Been a good servant to Oxford and if he can get back near the level of his first season or two here then FGR have got themselves a defensive midfielder a level above L2 standard.
Goes into the “underrated “ category. Much of the work he did wasn’t obvious or spectacular. But, at his best, he was bloody useful .

Strange comments from Deeney, almost sounds like he still wont get much game time at FGR.

"I saw in that time [his trial] what he could do, not necessarily with the ball but more for what he does around the place," Forest Green manager Troy Deeney told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

"I think he'll have a huge role to play with the development of Harvey Bunker and Alfie Bendle.

"While he'll add value in the short-term of playing and getting his career back on track, he'll be adding quality to the group.

"He's also got a role in terms of mentorship and explaining and talking those guys day-to-day, and what it's like to be a top professional.

Interesting comments from Deeney.

Very odd. After Deeney's comments about his own team the other week ('The players aren't good enough... we need to replace them' etc) I can't help thinking he hasn't got the best man management skills!

Goes into the “underrated “ category. Much of the work he did wasn’t obvious or spectacular. But, at his best, he was bloody useful .
Definitely one of our most underrated players in recent times.

His first knee injury really impacted the momentum of the 21/22 season. It changed the dynamic of the midfield with Herbie Kane playing deeper, which meant we didn't get the best out of him. That midfield (Gorrin, Cam, Kane) was possibly the best midfield in the league, and big part of that was because Gorrin was happy to sit deep and give let the other two be more creative higher up the pitch. It also allowed the full backs the chance to push forward, knowing that Gorrin would drop in and cover - no coincidence that the best we saw of Steve Seddon was in the early part of that season, when he he had the licence to bomb forwards and join the attack.

Anyways, best of luck of the Alex at FGR, hope he is able to stay fit and injury free.

Gorrin has been a good player for us, unfortunate with injuries, but well liked by staff, players and the fans. All the best for the future And good luck at FGR.

Definitely one of our most underrated players in recent times.

His first knee injury really impacted the momentum of the 21/22 season. It changed the dynamic of the midfield with Herbie Kane playing deeper, which meant we didn't get the best out of him. That midfield (Gorrin, Cam, Kane) was possibly the best midfield in the league, and big part of that was because Gorrin was happy to sit deep and give let the other two be more creative higher up the pitch. It also allowed the full backs the chance to push forward, knowing that Gorrin would drop in and cover - no coincidence that the best we saw of Steve Seddon was in the early part of that season, when he he had the licence to bomb forwards and join the attack.

Anyways, best of luck of the Alex at FGR, hope he is able to stay fit and injury free.

Yes the first knee injury was a major blow for player and club. Robinson made the mistake not to replace him in the January with a similar defensive midfielder and then confouded that mistake by not signing a natural in that position the follow summer. Lazy or stupid I not sure which, Robinson that is, probably both.

Good luck Alex at FGR.

Yes the first knee injury was a major blow for player and club. Robinson made the mistake not to replace him in the January with a similar defensive midfielder and then confouded that mistake by not signing a natural in that position the follow summer. Lazy or stupid I not sure which, Robinson that is, probably both.

Good luck Alex at FGR.
Looking back with a bit of hindsight, that season was the best season under KR, and also possibly the beginning of the end for him.

Probably the closest KR ever came to building a balanced squad, and implementing his style of attacking football, but as you say it all started to crumble when he didn't sign a replacement for Gorrin, and started bringing in the crocked attacking players like Marcus Browne and Sam Baldock.

Looking back with a bit of hindsight, that season was the best season under KR, and also possibly the beginning of the end for him.

Probably the closest KR ever came to building a balanced squad, and implementing his style of attacking football, but as you say it all started to crumble when he didn't sign a replacement for Gorrin, and started bringing in the crocked attacking players like Marcus Browne and Sam Baldock.

Yes I agree it was the beginning of the end for Robinson.

The frustrating thing was that supporters could see we needed a recognised defensive midfielder to replace Gorrin, he was very good at his job.

It was classic Robinson to try and convert Kane into a defensive midfielder, all because he was too lazy or stupid. What a waste of a top creative player to be playing that role. Also as I understand it, the club was paying an eye watering loan fee for Kane just to sit in front of the back four.

Yes I agree it was the beginning of the end for Robinson.

The frustrating thing was that supporters could see we needed a recognised defensive midfielder to replace Gorrin, he was very good at his job.

It was classic Robinson to try and convert Kane into a defensive midfielder, all because he was too lazy or stupid. What a waste of a top creative player to be playing that role. Also as I understand it, the club was paying an eye watering loan fee for Kane just to sit in front of the back four.

A real sliding doors moment for KR. Who knows, with Gorrin in the team all season, or a suitable DM replacement, we might have gone on and made the play-off again, and possibly gone and got promoted, 3rd time lucky!

Loved watching him play in 19/20, 20/21 and the first half of 21/22.
My sort of player - high energy, read the defensive side of the game beautifully, loved a tackle and solid at moving the ball on to his more talented teammates.

Never quite the same player after his first knee injury......hopefully he can find his game again at a lower level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom