Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I wouldn’t keep Barker. He’s a luxury on a high wage who doesn’t contribute enough in games. Half the time you wouldn’t know he was on the pitch.

I completely disagree with this. He's someone that will improve alot with game time. He's clearly getting fitter and is now starting to contribute more at both ends of the pitch. His ability is obvious and he's someone that can change a game. Between him and Shodipo, I'd favour him at the moment. Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance of ever doing more than another loan deal.

Expecting to see him at a bigger league one club next year if he's available on loan.

One one hand I think the loan market is a huge opportunity and getting 2-3 players in of a high quality, that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford, is well worthwhile. However it does cause quite a bit of upheaval every 12 months when they need replacing - coupled with 1-2 high profile player sales. Could be a contributing factor to our slow starts to each season.

Maybe now is the time to sign one or two of these loan players, or invest in more contracted players. It's a gamble either way.

No one is mentioning anyone choosing to leave. I very much hope we don’t sell one of our more promising players. There has to be a chance that Forde will turn us down and leave - he's a very decent player but doesn’t get many starts.

Personally think that some of the squad depth can and now should come from the academy. Lofthouse can cover Long at right back and play 20 games (including cups) next season. Leon C-P likewise should have enough game time in midfield and Elechi at left back (possibly although this one is less obvious). This would then free up more budget for fewer positions and give a genuine chance to see if those who have done well on loans (like in the past Baptiste did) or looked promising in first team action can step up.

Of course some of the squad will depend on what division we are in but assuming league 1 I would not be surprised to see Brannigan +1 other sold in the summer

Out of interest, why are people so convinced we won't be seeing Clare back next year? Surely the whole point of him going out on loan was to give him regular game time at L1 level so he can come back next year and make more of an impact. And by all accounts he's done pretty well at Burton, hasn't he?

Personally think that some of the squad depth can and now should come from the academy. Lofthouse can cover Long at right back and play 20 games (including cups) next season. Leon C-P likewise should have enough game time in midfield and Elechi at left back (possibly although this one is less obvious). This would then free up more budget for fewer positions and give a genuine chance to see if those who have done well on loans (like in the past Baptiste did) or looked promising in first team action can step up.

Of course some of the squad will depend on what division we are in but assuming league 1 I would not be surprised to see Brannigan +1 other sold in the summer

Definitely. We've really stretched our squad this year and there's plenty of game time to be had for a youngster like Lofthouse or LCP. It would also help push the budegt further.

Out of interest, why are people so convinced we won't be seeing Clare back next year? Surely the whole point of him going out on loan was to give him regular game time at L1 level so he can come back next year and make more of an impact. And by all accounts he's done pretty well at Burton, hasn't he?

It's possible. Not least because he's contracted. Pretty sure Robinson will give him a chance in preseason - but as a midfielder or winger. He's got alot of good assets as a winger in my opinion.

I guess the other scenario is that Burton might want to sign him permenanty, in which case we might cut our losses as I'm sure he'll be on a good wage.

I can see Lofthouse and LCP being in and around the first team or on loan to a decent league 2 side. The rest of the youth team I'd say, for now, it's too early to be relying on them in the first team. Perhaps Elechi could be ready but all I know of him is what I saw in the pizza trophy this season (where he did ok to be fair). Pizza trophy, 100% we should be starting several of them, but I'd say Slavi Spasov and Fabio Lopes have both had their growth stunted a little by injuries and need another season on loan in the conference, Nico Jones I have no idea where we stand as he went from one of our best prospects to unable to find a non league loan, and the likes of Gatlin O'Donkor and Tyler Goodrham, who look REALLY exciting, are still really young and should be playing U21 games with the odd pizza trophy cameo, not thrown into the first team way before they're ready. That's not to say someone couldn't have a major breakout season like Shandon and COD have done before but from my knowledge of the youth squad (which admittedly is far from perfect) I'd say not to expect too much next season except for Lofthouse and LCP trying to break in. 22/23 season should be where we really start to see the benefits of our youth setup and I think from then on we'll see a steady stream of youngsters challenging for the first team.

As for the first team, any player currently under contract will still be here next season. We never seem to pay off contracts, so unless someone comes in with an offer for Winnall, Clare and Hanson, expect them to still be around next season. I could see Burton making a move for Clare, but no doubt we'll want to recoup the money we paid so not sure they'd go for it. Hanson and Winnall, no one will be looking at them so they'll be here next year, with Hanson being seen as backup to RB and CDM so you can bet that KR will be signing 7 wingers and ignoring the lack of depth there again (although to be fair we could do with several with Mide and Barker leaving).

As for player sales, I'll be concerned if we don't go up. The teams above us are already sniffing around several players and I can see big bids coming in for our CBs and CamBran. I reckon at a minimum expect Moore to go, Atkinson I think we'll keep hold of and CamBran... Is a weird one because he clearly loves it here, and loves being one of the first names on the team sheet. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn teams down if they cannot guarantee him regular first team football.

I wouldn’t keep Barker. He’s a luxury on a high wage who doesn’t contribute enough in games. Half the time you wouldn’t know he was on the pitch.
Jesus, that’s insane to me. He’s our most dangerous player in about 80% of the games he plays and can create something out of nothing. His pace is a massive threat and defenders can’t live with him at times. Obviously he drifts in and out of games, if he didn’t he’d be in the CH or PL. I’d do everything we can to keep him, our best winger since Fosu.

I would have barker back on another season long loan If available. Only going to improve and has looked better as he’s played more and wasn’t fit in his first few games. Hopefully we stop bringing in players that have had bad injuries and are injury prone, like Holmes, Thorne and now winmall!

Jesus, that’s insane to me. He’s our most dangerous player in about 80% of the games he plays and can create something out of nothing. His pace is a massive threat and defenders can’t live with him at times. Obviously he drifts in and out of games, if he didn’t he’d be in the CH or PL. I’d do everything we can to keep him, our best winger since Fosu.
I don't think he's anywhere like as good as an interested Fosu. He and Shodipo are just too inconsistent at the moment and go missing too much. Both are promising but if they fulfil their promise we won't be able to afford them!

you can bet that KR will be signing 7 wingers and ignoring the lack of depth there again (although to be fair we could do with several with Mide and Barker leaving).
Agree with your comments in general.
But for the odd comment that KR will try and sign 7 wingers?
I would argue that we didn't have enough 'wingers ' in the first half of the season

I don't think he's anywhere like as good as an interested Fosu. He and Shodipo are just too inconsistent at the moment and go missing too much. Both are promising but if they fulfil their promise we won't be able to afford them!
Not as good as an in form Fosu but don’t forget he lost form bigtime in the second half of the season. My point is, I doubt we’ll get a better left winger than Barker. He’s roasted a few fullbacks already

Not as good as an in form Fosu but don’t forget he lost form bigtime in the second half of the season. My point is, I doubt we’ll get a better left winger than Barker. He’s roasted a few fullbacks already
Agree.
An on form Fosu has proved to be a top Championship winger.
I think that he has improved us in the second half of the season.

Agree with your comments in general.
But for the odd comment that KR will try and sign 7 wingers?
I would argue that we didn't have enough 'wingers ' in the first half of the season
Just a lighthearted joke based on how much KR loves to sign a winger, nothing malicious intended! I think our issues winger wise first half of the season stemmed from us chasing Marcus Browne and not getting, Clare being forced into RB by injury to Atkinson and Mous, Henry's loss of form, Obita being a LB and not a LW, Osei being signed then deemed not good enough and Cooper's personal life that meant we haven't seen much of him yet. It is strange how we were linked with wingers all window, signed 5 of them and ended up short on the wing come January! Signing 5 wingers when you don't have a back up CB other than 34 y/o Mous does set a precedent.

I would think the biggest driver would be the player himself, who will have felt pretty put out by his treatment here, yet loved up in Derbyshire, so is likely to have a strong preference for staying up there, which Robbo might go along with, not least to avoid the issue of how to slot him into the side here without losing face....

Back
Top Bottom