General Aaron Ramsdale

That's the world (country) we live in, unfortunately.

Large sections of society are seemingly quicker to scoff at anybody trying to make anything better than they are to question those who actively continue to make everything worse.

I think it's called balance.

Not at all. Have you not heard this sort of stuff from countless footballers ? As you happened to mention 'losing all impetus' I bet you believed Jordan Henderson when he stood on the LGBT platform and shouted it from the rooftops ? This sort of stuff is now becoming worthless, it's cheap shot drivel at best.

I was sat three or four rows behind Ramsdale at a match last season and some of the stuff coming out of his mouth towards opposition fans was among the vilest I've ever heard - certainly from a player. He was getting stick, yes, but only football stick, nothing that other keepers don't get.

You have a new hero, fair play. No, not for me though, I can see right through it.
What sort of thing was he saying?

The sentiment of the piece is all fine and dandy but on the back of Henderson this sort of stuff is outdated. Who really believes it anymore when you get probably the highest profile voice taking the p*ss ? Taking the knee, it looked great but has it changed anything ? Football, on the whole, is a safe environment and there's a whole load of social issues I'd try and cleanse before jumping on the easy target that seems to be football. I don't know anyone who goes to a football match frightened of confrontation or frightened of what they might hear, football cannot carry the can for everything.

The sentiment of the piece is all fine and dandy but on the back of Henderson this sort of stuff is outdated. Who really believes it anymore when you get probably the highest profile voice taking the p*ss ? Taking the knee, it looked great but has it changed anything ? Football, on the whole, is a safe environment and there's a whole load of social issues I'd try and cleanse before jumping on the easy target that seems to be football. I don't know anyone who goes to a football match frightened of confrontation or frightened of what they might hear, football cannot carry the can for everything.
I agree with that about sorting other problems first in society but for me if high profile footballers speak out against things like homophobia, it can only mean our game is in better place

I thought the bit about how proud of his brother he was was lovely , and the idea of him bringing his gay brother out to celebrate when they win something was rather beautiful. The homophobes and thugs would have to applaud it. Wouldn’t you love to see that @dickwalton1964 ?

Back
Top Bottom