General Aaron Ramsdale

I just had to post this, which I saw shared on social media. Quite one of the best things I've ever read written by a footballer...

I also just read that from a share on social media. What an incredible guy and a good writer too. There’s just no place for the dinosaurs any more. I’m not particularly keen on Arsenal but I’ll look out for him in future.

That was a great read thanks for sharing

What a top bloke AR is he's gained a lot of respect from me

A very average goalkeeper who I’m not in the least bit surprised Arsenal are looking to upgrade on. I‘m not sure what the fuss is about with the article though, of course he and his wife have sympathy for the miscarriage but what else is he saying that a whole load of other football haven’t reiterated over the past few years ? Ramsdale is trying to portray himself as angelic, I‘ve seen him live, he’s far from that. A proper wind up merchant to opposition fans and players alike a not a player who’d imagine has a lot of ‘friends’ aside of his team mates.

Yeah, nice that. Good luck to him.

A very average goalkeeper who I’m not in the least bit surprised Arsenal are looking to upgrade on. I‘m not sure what the fuss is about with the article though, of course he and his wife have sympathy for the miscarriage but what else is he saying that a whole load of other football haven’t reiterated over the past few years ? Ramsdale is trying to portray himself as angelic, I‘ve seen him live, he’s far from that. A proper wind up merchant to opposition fans and players alike a not a player who’d imagine has a lot of ‘friends’ aside of his team mates.

2/10.

Dull repetition of the same shock tactic now losing all impetus.

Top bloke. Really good read that, and gives a real insight into the ugly side of our game. It's getting better but still such a long way to go, but fair play to Ramsdale for speaking so openly about it.

2/10.

Dull repetition of the same shock tactic now losing all impetus.

Not at all. Have you not heard this sort of stuff from countless footballers ? As you happened to mention 'losing all impetus' I bet you believed Jordan Henderson when he stood on the LGBT platform and shouted it from the rooftops ? This sort of stuff is now becoming worthless, it's cheap shot drivel at best.

I was sat three or four rows behind Ramsdale at a match last season and some of the stuff coming out of his mouth towards opposition fans was among the vilest I've ever heard - certainly from a player. He was getting stick, yes, but only football stick, nothing that other keepers don't get.

You have a new hero, fair play. No, not for me though, I can see right through it.

This is a very uncharitable take Dick. You have an opinion on the type of player he is on field, but the sentiment of this piece is important, the more high profile people who are willing to publicly support inclusivity in the sport we love can only mean a safer future for the game. By which I mean safe against bogotted people who seem to instanty hate our game, and judge from lofty heights. I seem to meet more and more of those - as illustrated by the FSOB lot.

I don't really think Ramsdale would need to portray himself as angelic, for what purpose?

Not at all. Have you not heard this sort of stuff from countless footballers ? As you happened to mention 'losing all impetus' I bet you believed Jordan Henderson when he stood on the LGBT platform and shouted it from the rooftops ? This sort of stuff is now becoming worthless, it's cheap shot drivel at best.

I was sat three or four rows behind Ramsdale at a match last season and some of the stuff coming out of his mouth towards opposition fans was among the vilest I've ever heard - certainly from a player. He was getting stick, yes, but only football stick, nothing that other keepers don't get.

You have a new hero, fair play. No, not for me though, I can see right through it.

Thing is Dick, you've taken an entirely contradictory position re player/fan engagement than you did with Sam Smith. It's almost like you're being wilfully antagonistic.

For the record: I wasn't aware of Henderson's activities at all until he moved to Saudi.

I said Ramsey's article was nice, and wished him luck. Apparently "that's not for you though".

This is a very uncharitable take Dick. You have an opinion on the type of player he is on field, but the sentiment of this piece is important, the more high profile people who are willing to publicly support inclusivity in the sport we love can only mean a safer future for the game. By which I mean safe against bogotted people who seem to instanty hate our game, and judge from lofty heights. I seem to meet more and more of those - as illustrated by the FSOB lot.

I don't really think Ramsdale would need to portray himself as angelic, for what purpose?

The sentiment of the piece is all fine and dandy but on the back of Henderson this sort of stuff is outdated. Who really believes it anymore when you get probably the highest profile voice taking the p*ss ? Taking the knee, it looked great but has it changed anything ? Football, on the whole, is a safe environment and there's a whole load of social issues I'd try and cleanse before jumping on the easy target that seems to be football. I don't know anyone who goes to a football match frightened of confrontation or frightened of what they might hear, football cannot carry the can for everything.

Thing is Dick, you've taken an entirely contradictory position re player/fan engagement than you did with Sam Smith. It's almost like you're being wilfully antagonistic.

For the record: I wasn't aware of Henderson's activities at all until he moved to Saudi.

I said Ramsey's article was nice, and wished him luck. Apparently "that's not for you though".

I can see how it might look like I'm being deliberately antagonistic but I can assure you these are the views I uphold. I was born in the 60's so I've seen everyday life - particularly through the 70's and 80's - when it seemed so much freer and the shackles were off. Of course things like homosexuality being a criminal offence in the 60's was hideous and archaic and it's a better society now for the openness in that regard. Some things though have swung too far - you mention Sam Smith and you saw the fall out from what he supposedly did wrong. That was a ridiculous over reaction by Oxford fans and people just need to calm down in their search for absolute equality, perfection and righteousness in every single thing.

Really good and interesting article, surprised people can find fault with it but hey ho.

Back
Top Bottom