National News A Question of Sport

Ronnie O'Sullivan - On merit alone, he would have won it by now, but the fact he's a complete bell-end does not help his cause.

There hasn't been a snooker player finish in the Top 3 of voting since 1990.

Think that just reflects that a) it's a sport that's only really played by the UK, Ireland, China and a few random nutters from other countries and b) snooker players are not exactly athletes compared to most of the sportspeople that actually win it.......

The public vote for one of those who are shortlisted. That shortlist is produced by the BBC's Director of Sport. They literally chose the 6 person shortlist. The BBC, across their network are pushing agendas of all kinds, upon the watching (paying) public. Some can see it and some choose not too, that's no problem.

As for the SPOTY award, a few names that are more deserving of the award, imo are:

- Ronnie O'Sullivan won his 8th UK open title this year, meanwhile remaining the best player in his field, at the age of 48!
- Frankie Dettori has continued to ride winners all over the world, in possibly the most gruelling of sports and has been a the top of horse racing for 30/35 years
- Kevin Sinfield ran 7 (SEVEN!) marathons in 7 days, in support of MND and Rob Burrows. Not only has Sinfield been one of the best to play Rugby league, he has now mastered marathon running on a scale everyone of us could only dream of (not to mention, he has raised millions for MND).

Others that come into the conversation and are more deserving imo, if Earps is seriously in the elite bracket are:

- Katarina Johnson-Thompson won the World Championship Heptathlon this year. This was after being severely hampered by injury for some time. She was the best, across 7 different events. Takes some doing!
- Dave Ryding has flown the flag for Britain in alpine skiing during his long career. In an industry where he gets very little financial support from Sport England/UK athletics (versus his counterparts from France, Austria, Swiss, Italy, USA, Canada etc), the fact he's managed to get multiple podium finishes at World Cup level is astounding. His latest came in February, in Austria.
- Leon Edwards is a world champion (something Earps didn't manage) at welterweight in UFC. A literal world champion. He didn't even make the shortlist

You mentioned Earps has 'done her bit raising the women's game'. While that is unquestionable, when did this award become more about profiling and selling GK shirts, rather than individual and collective achievement? For reference, this is the same GK that made an absolute howler at Wembley last month, which in turn cost England (Playing as Britain) a place at the Olympics next year (they missed out on qualificaton by one goal to the Netherlands).

Personally speaking, it just doesn't feel like this award is based upon solely sporting achievement anymore and that is a shame.
The shortlist is drawn up by a mainly non-BBC panel, comprised of sportspeople (ie Steve Redgrave), sports administrators, and members of the press. Criteria include "The shortlist takes into consideration the 'impact' of the person's sporting achievement beyond the sport in question"

Going back to QoS, rather than cancel it why not change the time of when it is aired if they know it is the older generation that watch it? Maybe a 4pm or 5pm slot would suit it better?

Going back to QoS, rather than cancel it why not change the time of when it is aired if they know it is the older generation that watch it? Maybe a 4pm or 5pm slot would suit it better?

The previous time slot when Sue Barker was presenting with Captains Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell was perfectly fine, the problem arose when someone at the BBC decide in their wisdom to completely replace a successful popular lineup.
The current lineup and makeup of the show is crap regardless of what time of the day it’s on.

Agree that’s it’s just mild banter…..but even that offends a fair few these days unfortunately
I think some people have always been offended by everything and anything (everyone of an age remembers Mary Whitehouse, surely?). Social media now gives them the platform to vent it to a worldwide audience. That's the only thing that's really changed, rather than some "snowflake busybody" leading some campaign for decency on behalf of the faux offended 🤷‍♂️

I think some people have always been offended by everything and anything (everyone of an age remembers Mary Whitehouse, surely?). Social media now gives them the platform to vent it to a worldwide audience. That's the only thing that's really changed, rather than some "snowflake busybody" leading some campaign for decency on behalf of the faux offended 🤷‍♂️

The PMRC in America too, not to mention the Hays Code.

It's as old as the hills.

This offends me.

Have I got news for you jumped the shark so long ago that the shark is now fossilised, if any show needs to go it’s that.
I think hignfy’s still great. That and only connect are the only things off Uk tv that I keep up to date watching.

Have I got news for you jumped the shark so long ago that the shark is now fossilised, if any show needs to go it’s that.
I know what 'jumped the shark' means (and where it came from) but really can't think how it applies to HIGNFY. Care to explain?

I know what 'jumped the shark' means (and where it came from) but really can't think how it applies to HIGNFY. Care to explain?
tenor.gif

I was wondering that. Maybe it's the news content they are having to satirize these days which makes it seem unbelievable. :unsure:

Now...if you were to say that it's politics and in particular the current government that have jumped the shark, then it would make more sense;)

Back
Top Bottom