National News A Question of Sport

Tory fan in "attacks BBC wages" shocker...

As the Duty Tory is proud of the fact he doesn't pay his licence fee, it's none of his business anyway 🤷‍♂️

The problem at the BBC is that some programming is absolutely exceptional but, as noted in this thread, there is a lot of utter garbage and a dash of middle of the road, pleasantly enjoyable stuff like QoS.

As for the licence fee "it is not a payment for BBC services although the revenue is used to fund the BBC." 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

As the Boss sang "57 channels and nothing on"........... problem is it is now thousands of channels and anything you want to watch via the web or dodgy Firesticks. :)

Ah, Question of Sport. So many - checks notes - “notable moments”.

IMG_6273.jpeg

Halcyon days.

The problem at the BBC is that some programming is absolutely exceptional but, as noted in this thread, there is a lot of utter garbage and a dash of middle of the road, pleasantly enjoyable stuff like QoS.

As for the licence fee "it is not a payment for BBC services although the revenue is used to fund the BBC." 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

As the Boss sang "57 channels and nothing on"........... problem is it is now thousands of channels and anything you want to watch via the web or dodgy Firesticks. :)

It may be garbage to you, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it is garbage to others.

It may be garbage to you, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it is garbage to others.

Big Top with Amanda Holden.
Catchpoint with Paddy McGuiness
Homes under the Hammer.
Mrs Brown`s Boys - once the novelty wore off after about 6 episodes it should have been canned. We are now on 47 episodes of it.
Eldorado.
Eastenders - TV for manic depressives.

:)

You could say that about Question of sport though, it had, pre re jig, very good viewing figures for its time slot, yet others have said it was ok for it to go because they thought it was s**t.

Hadn’t watched it in years but knew a lot of older people liked it so why should they have something taken from them? They are licence fee payers, they should be catered to, not every tv show needs to be to the taste of ageing hipsters.

There are talks about whether football focus will carry on due to low viewing figures.
That would just leave final score, Match of the Day and Wimbledon as sports programmes on the BBC.

In return we get to pay even more for our TV licenses next year!

You could say that about Question of sport though, it had, pre re jig, very good viewing figures for its time slot, yet others have said it was ok for it to go because they thought it was s**t.

Hadn’t watched it in years but knew a lot of older people liked it so why should they have something taken from them? They are licence fee payers, they should be catered to, not every tv show needs to be to the taste of ageing hipsters.

It could be said about QoS and I agree. Pity they fiddled with the original set up although I had stopped watching long ago.

My point was using "lots of garbage" as a justification to complain about the licence fee is very weak when somebody's garbage is another's entertainment, especially with the BBC's remit.

I used to watch every episode of Q of S until Sue Barker left; twice I went to be part of the audience.

Tried watching regularly a few times when Paddy McGuiness took over but the show had been ruined. Then I only watched if any of my favourite sports stars were appearing before giving up completely.

As Oscar Wilde almost said "A BBC executive is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

It could be said about QoS and I agree. Pity they fiddled with the original set up although I had stopped watching long ago.

My point was using "lots of garbage" as a justification to complain about the licence fee is very weak when somebody's garbage is another's entertainment, especially with the BBC's remit.

I agree, as long as the garbage is fairly shared out.

I used to watch every episode of Q of S until Sue Barker left; twice I went to be part of the audience.

Tried watching regularly a few times when Paddy McGuiness took over but the show had been ruined. Then I only watched if any of my favourite sports stars were appearing before giving up completely.

As Oscar Wilde almost said "A BBC executive is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Isn't only the BBC, a Channel 4 executive screwed around with Time Team to point that they killed it (until coming back on YouTube/Patreon). Classics such as moving the viewing time every week (and not publicising much when it was), pushing for it to be a magazine type programme which is completely opposite to what Time Team was. It was no surprise viewers dropped off, it was almost like it was deliberate.

It seemed as if they wanted to try and replicate League of their own, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

That's exactly what's been their downfall. LOTO and QOS are (or were) two totally different TV programmes - QOS was first and foremost a sports quiz albeit with some quick-witted funny captains like Parrott, Dettori, Tuffnell, McCoist. LOTO is just a bunch of grown men dicking around, with the the odd vague sports reference thrown in.

Also I suspect with professionalism, increased work schedules of athletes and agents demanding high appearance fees, it probably gets harder and harder to get contestants and team-captains. I mean, no offence to the current captains but Ugo Monye and Sam Quek aren't exactly household names.

QoS and They Think It's All Over were both very funny back in the day, leagues ahead of what you'd get nowadays.

With your opinion which is of no consequence at all......

Isn't only the BBC, a Channel 4 executive screwed around with Time Team to point that they killed it (until coming back on YouTube/Patreon). Classics such as moving the viewing time every week (and not publicising much when it was), pushing for it to be a magazine type programme which is completely opposite to what Time Team was. It was no surprise viewers dropped off, it was almost like it was deliberate.

Ah yes, the first of several TV appearances..... :)

Also went to watch it being filmed once.
And I loved the show when I was a kid - which was back in the Bill Beaumont/Emlyn Hughes or Ian Botham days, and of course David Coleman doing the presenting - it was appointment viewing for our whole family. And the QoS board game came out every Christmas!

It was good natured, gentle humour with a sporting angle - not earth-shattering television, but fun.

But at the same time - we were pretty frickin' starved of entertainment options if you were stuck at home back then! Four choices that had to try and cater for everyone's taste.

Nowadays - with a dozen streaming services, hundreds of channels, live sport on all the time and video games with TV quality graphics and writing.......I'm not quite so sure that even peak era QoS would have brought the whole family to the sofa like it did back then.......

(......and the world is probably poorer for it).

Another example of why I think the TV License model is archaic and should be abandoned - but I've had that argument on here before, and will avoid getting into it again!!

Also went to watch it being filmed once.
And I loved the show when I was a kid - which was back in the Bill Beaumont/Emlyn Hughes or Ian Botham days, and of course David Coleman doing the presenting - it was appointment viewing for our whole family. And the QoS board game came out every Christmas!

It was good natured, gentle humour with a sporting angle - not earth-shattering television, but fun.

But at the same time - we were pretty frickin' starved of entertainment options if you were stuck at home back then! Four choices that had to try and cater for everyone's taste.

Nowadays - with a dozen streaming services, hundreds of channels, live sport on all the time and video games with TV quality graphics and writing.......I'm not quite so sure that even peak era QoS would have brought the whole family to the sofa like it did back then.......

(......and the world is probably poorer for it).

Another example of why I think the TV License model is archaic and should be abandoned - but I've had that argument on here before, and will avoid getting into it again!!

I get what you are saying but why mess up this show and cancel it for that reason? Its viewing figures still held up, it couldn’t perform miracles and bring back family viewing but very, very few if any shows do, be nothing much on the BBC if that was required.

It feels like this has happened because the people that watch it are elderly and not fashionable, the BBC was a bit embarrassed by it, which given the licence fee is not acceptable. It’s also bizarre that the BBC seems to scorn it’s base, the bulk of its viewership, seems embarrassed by the fact that it’s been left with an elderly demographic rather than the hipsters that it wants. It also seems worried about these people dying off and it being left with no one which is wrong headed, as, short of a virus more deadly than Covid, old people always get replaced by more old people.

Back
Top Bottom