Away Match Day Thread 5/8/23 L1: Cambridge United v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t post here much but enjoy reading the comments.

The biggest issue for me today was no plan B, sure we know we have issues with LB/FBs but that is not the reason we didn’t get something out of this game.
If you play from the back you need to move the ball quickly, we didn’t do that, by the time we were in any sort of position to attack we were facing 11 players.
We were also very predictable in how we played from the back and we were closed down quickly , causing us to eventually give up possession.
I watched on iFollow from Germany and it was pretty simple to see the pattern of play.

All was not lost at half time and we should have changed it round a bit, we didn’t and that’s my main concern. A goal back and we would have been a good bet for at least a point.
Mills should have come on from half time, GOD should not have replaced Harris but played along beside him and change the formation round a bit to say 442.

Maybe some won’t agree but if your plan A is not working and you don’t change and all you subs are like for like changes, and you feel you started with your strongest 11, this is what I’m concerned about.

Hi all, Cambridge Utd fan here so hope you don't mind me posting. Just a few observations:

1. Opening day results are meaningless but of course it deflates you a bit when it's the day you've been so looking forwards to

2. There's obvious quality in your squad but it's not quite gelling at the moment...give it time because it looks like it could click soon

3. Bonner's good at doing a job on certain managers ...unfortunately for you all he seems to do it on Manning but Bonner also fails (massively sometimes) against others just as I think Manning can out think other managers in this division

4. I know it feels bad to be beaten by 'relegation favourite's but we won't get relegated this season. Most of those predictions come from lazy pundits who don't do their research. I'm a massive Guardian fan but Ben Fisher is one of the laziest. We'll be mid table in May and you'll be somewhere above us.

Best wishes for the rest of the season.
How refreshing you get a sensible opposition supporter. Thank you for your post and good luck to you guys

Hi all, Cambridge Utd fan here so hope you don't mind me posting. Just a few observations:

1. Opening day results are meaningless but of course it deflates you a bit when it's the day you've been so looking forwards to

2. There's obvious quality in your squad but it's not quite gelling at the moment...give it time because it looks like it could click soon

3. Bonner's good at doing a job on certain managers ...unfortunately for you all he seems to do it on Manning but Bonner also fails (massively sometimes) against others just as I think Manning can out think other managers in this division

4. I know it feels bad to be beaten by 'relegation favourite's but we won't get relegated this season. Most of those predictions come from lazy pundits who don't do their research. I'm a massive Guardian fan but Ben Fisher is one of the laziest. We'll be mid table in May and you'll be somewhere above us.

Best wishes for the rest of the season.
We have to be a long long way in front of you tbh. Today was such a sterile lazy start for us gifted with all the pointless possession we had in China (albeit Cammers). It has to be business end for us this season-nothing less will do. The clock is ticking tick tick tock.

COYY'S

As for the new Cambridge fan, @CambnridgeSean, fair play to you, nice to have a polite opposition fan. Nothing against Cambridge, our fans just got excited after beating Swansea and QPR in pre season and today was a bump back to reality.

I still expect us to have a good season and I also think you will stay up.
Cheers I love Cambridge Utd but I also love football and its wider world too because it's been so much part of my life,. One of your fans messaged the CUFC forum that I'm a member of regarding your new stadium petition so was more than happy to reply and support it as I think a fair number did too.

Yeah don't worry about the troll...some people have lots of time on their hands and little brains to use it. They'll disappear soon enough.

I don’t post here much but enjoy reading the comments.

The biggest issue for me today was no plan B, sure we know we have issues with LB/FBs but that is not the reason we didn’t get something out of this game.
If you play from the back you need to move the ball quickly, we didn’t do that, by the time we were in any sort of position to attack we were facing 11 players.
We were also very predictable in how we played from the back and we were closed down quickly , causing us to eventually give up possession.
I watched on iFollow from Germany and it was pretty simple to see the pattern of play.

All was not lost at half time and we should have changed it round a bit, we didn’t and that’s my main concern. A goal back and we would have been a good bet for at least a point.
Mills should have come on from half time, GOD should not have replaced Harris but played along beside him and change the formation round a bit to say 442.

Maybe some won’t agree but if your plan A is not working and you don’t change and all you subs are like for like changes, and you feel you started with your strongest 11, this is what I’m concerned about.

You enjoy reading the comments?!

Seriously why are you here .. you are a Muppet coming on another teams forum giving it large when we do not give a s**t about Blackpool honest to god please kindly would you f**k off
Nah let him stay, it gives us something to laugh at.

Plus if he's on here entertaining us, then that's one less spiced up zombie stumbling around the streets of Blackpool, so we're actually doing a good deed as well.

Let nobody say us Oxford folk aren't helpful to those in need eh?

A lot are disputing it. I‘ve read on here in the last few days that no one will displace Harris, he‘s that good, that O’Donkor is a perfectly capable back up, that the likes of Browne, Bodin etc can provide the goals in the absence of a proper out and out number 9 and that haven‘t people seen a Manning team - strikers as such aren’t needed !

What a load of absolute tosh, I’d up the bid to £600,000 for Marriott. No team anywhere is going anywhere without a proven striker and if we leave this until the last days of August then 5 league games could have gone by and yet another season of catch up.

As for Cairon Brown, I’ve said all through last season he’s no where near good enough and people have been duped into believing he is just because he got POTY in the worst Oxford United team in the past decade. As for Long, well enough said - one and a half good seasons in the last four. Where’s the Brentford lad ?
On today’s performance we need a goal scoring striker just to have any chance of staying up! That was worse than some of the crap we watched last season under Robinson. Totally outplayed by a side that will struggle to stay up themselves. Four centre halves at the back felt like the Robinson era all over again which was truly frightening and consequently I couldn’t help feel we have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire with Manning. As clueless today as the previous incumbent. Manning, please prove me wrong (start by signing and playing full backs as full backs) because after today, and what happened last season at MK, I am somewhat concerned!

Choked after that for everyone.

After all the great feeling that had built before , it was punctured flat with barely a whoopee cushion pfft!

It’s just one game, we will improve I am sure but we all needed a lift and it just didn’t happen.

Losing that first match is f*****g s**t but we have an awful lot of points to play for.

Perhaps I expected too much?
No! I want us to win.

I had a lovely smash burger with some nicely seasoned crinkle cut chips before the game, and parked on my mate’s driveway a mere 15 minute walk from the stadium. Pub I went to after the game played Metallica’s ‘Master of Puppets’ album in its entirety.

Never let the football ruin a good day out at the football.

Very disappointing performance. Looks like we need a small bearded ginger haired midfielder like Brophy(Bannon was another). Definitely not enough bite in midfield Macguane looked an improvement on Macreachan. Same old sideways passing we have got to move it forward quicker. ASAP Manning.

Last edited:
Some player thoughts brings us 2 issues to solve.

GOD, Sorry this one of our own detracts that he is too young and currently not good enough.

Long and Brown. Both good defenders but attacking wise very poor. Devil you do or don't but to be a flair playing side need to be replaced.

Solve these 2 issues and we have a squad more than capable

You'll be relieved to know that I'm currently at Dunkin Donuts Ricky.
CYY-jg1VAAElN9O

Kip at full time.

DON”T FEED THE TROLL.

Back
Top Bottom