40 years - The club that never was

TheBiscuit

Reading fan
Hey Reading fan here in peace :)

Last Friday marked the 40th anniversary of the proposed merger between our two mighty clubs. Most fans do not remember how close we both came from extinction in 1983 after Robert Maxwell illegally obtained a controlling stake of Reading and proposed that Reading and Oxford United would reform under the name the Thames Valley Royals playing at a site in Didcot. Luckily the takeover of Reading was ultimately halted in the high Court. The Reading Supporters trust wrote an interesting article about it for anyone who fancies a read https://star-reading.org/heritage-history/1983-the-reading-fc-merger-story

Interested to know whether this is something that still gets air time from an Oxford point of view and from supporters who remember the story at the time.

Thanks and good luck for the rest of the season.

It sure is still mentioned around here, in fact there was a podcast on the very subject not so long ago which is most definitely worth a listen.

(probably available on other providers as well).

It sure is still mentioned around here, in fact there was a podcast on the very subject not so long ago which is most definitely worth a listen.

(probably available on other providers as well).
Thanks, will give it a listen

Roger Smee was a bit of a hero spoting the share issue, wasn't he? I remember the protests well and Maxwell pulling his usual trick of trying spin everything his way.

I remember the announcement on Grandstand that this merger was planned, no social media in those days and there'd be nothing in the press leading up to this out of the blue moment. I was 18 then and remember feeling bemused but at the same time quite excited about this 'new' club and a sparkly new stadium planned for Didcot if I remember rightly. When reality sunk in a few days later you realise what an absurd idea this really was though !

Back
Top Bottom