Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: Leigh

• SUB: GOD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F4hiS6gW0AA9PoS

Last time we got as many as 12 points from our first 5 games was our conference promotion season when we got 13 (whether or not you count the Chester game!). Not sure when the last time in the league was.

Edit - I *think* it was 1994/95, when again we got 13 from the first 5. That was the season we were top on Boxing Day, and then a whole load of injuries scuppered our season.

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading Fans View on that one.

We seemed to outplay them first half, then we were poor second half (by our recent high standards) and then that little magician Tyler pops up with the goods again.

McGuane has been like having a new player this season. Credit to him and credit to LM for managing to get out of him what was clearly there.

Tyler was bizarrely quite quiet but popped up with two moments of quality. That first goal from him was absolutely superb. I have no idea why but I feel like he's the kind of player AFC Bournemouth try and pick up, you'd think there's one hack of a price tag on his shoulders. He seems like such a nice lad, his interview was joyful for the soul.

Again credit to Negru, talk about taking your chances when given them...

Onto Port Vale, Liam Manning's Yellas

No idea! There was one bit of the game when I just noticed Pacman chasing Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde around the stadium. It then changed to 'advertising' Frogger, Pong and Space Invaders. Very 1970s! The graphics looked great but what they were trying to sell I don't know - I got distracted by some blokes kicking a ball about...

Fair play on remembering Clyde as one of the ghosts. One of the few bits of trivia that has stuck in my brain form the 80's!

What a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. A wonder goal, some great individual performances, some great team performances and some room for improvement. I can see a new SSU chant...

"We're top of the league, with room to improve" 😁

I'm looking at you @Manorlounger 😊

Last edited:
The only criticism yesterday, if there can be any, was that when Charlton changed personnel, formation and tactics at the start of the 2nd half, it took us a long time to adjust and get to grips with that ourselves. Having said that they didn’t create too many clear cut opportunities other than the goal, but it could have been more costly.

COYY
I agree with this

I don't always study the opposition in great depth during games so not sure what it was, but they changed something that completely swung the balance in their favour (and I don't just mean the hefty challenges that were going in) and, worryingly , we seemed to completely fail to adjust for ages.

Maybe it's a hangover from last season but it felt to me that there was only one team going to get the winner and it wasn't us..... infact I think I was saying as much as mills managed to clear another Charlton attack out to the touchline......

Although I do think that Manning can be a little slow/reluctant to make subs for my liking, I think Charlton’s resurgence in the second half, early on at least, was less to do with their change in shape or our inability to adapt to it and more that they came out fouling and the ref was too weak to stop it, encouraging them and rattling us. We could give Man City a game if we were allowed to smash into their players at will with no retribution..

I agree with this

I don't always study the opposition in great depth during games so not sure what it was, but they changed something that completely swung the balance in their favour (and I don't just mean the hefty challenges that were going in) and, worryingly , we seemed to completely fail to adjust for ages.

Maybe it's a hangover from last season but it felt to me that there was only one team going to get the winner and it wasn't us..... infact I think I was saying as much as mills managed to clear another Charlton attack out to the touchline......
Just felt that they’d had a rollicking at half time and came out more determined e.g. passing quicker, shutting us down quicker, thus not allowing us time to find a better pass through their lines etc. Also felt that where it appeared so easy for us in the first half e.g. having time on the ball, finding space easily, we carried on in that mindset/vein in the second half, but we needed to up our game/tempo too. Also felt that we became a bit complacent to me e.g. the goal we gave away we weren’t switched on, and like we know, three errors tends to lead to a goal.

The game should have been out of sight by half time, but we missed good opportunities (Goodhram’s little flick when it was virtually 3 v 1 & Rodrigues’ shot where he should have hit the target). We’ve got to stop those little back heel/side flicks, especially when it’s only 1-0. Bodin did one that led to their goal e.g. tried a little flick when the obvious thing to do was to get hold of the ball/then pass simply. I don’t mind the flicks etc when you’re 3 or more goals up, but not 1-0.

I personally felt we got lucky in the end which was very frustrating as we played some sublime football in the first half and the game should have been all, but over.

Last edited:
A point I hope Liam makes at the next team talk is, do Not switch off when the opposition get a free kick. Someone stand in front of the ball if need be. We were mugged for their goal.

It might be the season we threw it away, we were top and then didn’t even make the playoffs, which is the season before we got promoted in 96, so sometime in 94/95?

So I think RussianOx pointed this out earlier, but we were actually top after two games under Clotet. We beat Oldham 2-0 and then Pompey 3-0 to start the year.

Somehow it feels as if Manning's side might be less of a flash in the pan!

Couple of things. Seemed a very long celebration for the second goal. Thought maybe @RyanioBirdio had snuck into the bundle and refused to let go.

Only 5 games gone but so good to be at the top of the table rather than looking at the top of the table (or the other end for that matter).

Just hope we can hang onto our best players this week.

A point I hope Liam makes at the next team talk is, do Not switch off when the opposition get a free kick. Someone stand in front of the ball if need be. We were mugged for their goal.
Absolutely, McGuane also gave them the ball back which was really naive, unless it's part of the new time wasting rules that putting it down or throwing it miles in the air is a yellow as he'd already been booked. Rodrigues did the same towards the end of the second half as well which started a quick counter attack and put us under pressure.

Their goal they actually took a quick free kick and had it called back. There was no way we should have been caught out again, I thought Charlton in general were pretty sharp getting the game underway again and it's something I'd like to see us do more of.

Absolutely, McGuane also gave them the ball back which was really naive, unless it's part of the new time wasting rules that putting it down or throwing it miles in the air is a yellow as he'd already been booked. Rodrigues did the same towards the end of the second half as well which started a quick counter attack and put us under pressure.

It's a yellow card offence to throw the ball away or be an obstruction but he should of just dropped the ball and left it.

Overall the ref was poor though when it came to making sure freekicks and throw ins were took where the offence happened. Though he did help us out by playing on in the last minute when Brannagan pulled their guy back and would of been shown a second yellow if he pulled it up for a foul.

What a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. A wonder goal, some great individual performances, some great team performances and some room for improvement. I can see a new SSU chant...

"We're top of the league, with room to improve" 😁

I'll looking at you @Manorlounger 😊
So will that mean an upgrade on custard creams?

It's a yellow card offence to throw the ball away or be an obstruction but he should of just dropped the ball and left it.

Overall the ref was poor though when it came to making sure freekicks and throw ins were took where the offence happened. Though he did help us out by playing on in the last minute when Brannagan pulled their guy back and would have been shown a second yellow if he pulled it up for a foul.
Trouble is, some refs will allow you to take a free kick quickly, others make you wait for them to whistle. No consistency.

One or two even had their backs to the ball ambling back towards the goal. Very unprofessional.

Back
Top Bottom