Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
A resent stat showed that we were bottom of the league from set pieces oh for a Briggs and Shotton that scored between them 10 to 15 goals a season from corners and were Giant rocks at the back.
A stand out area of improvement for us and an area I think Moore really disappoints considering his size. It’s one of a few reasons I personally wouldn’t be sad to see him go - I think he’s someone we should move on from. McNally showed himself to have a knack of scoring a goal or two - over a season you’d back him to get 5+ so if he had a partner capable of the same it wouldn’t half make a difference.

A stand out area of improvement for us and an area I think Moore really disappoints considering his size. It’s one of a few reasons I personally wouldn’t be sad to see him go - I think he’s someone we should move on from. McNally showed himself to have a knack of scoring a goal or two - over a season you’d back him to get 5+ so if he had a partner capable of the same it wouldn’t half make a difference.

Even Dickie and Atkinson didn't get as many goals as they should have from set pieces. Nelson and Dunkley really were the last relatively consistent set-piece scorers we had.

Even Dickie and Atkinson didn't get as many goals as they should have from set pieces. Nelson and Dunkley really were the last relatively consistent set-piece scorers we had.
Ruffells and Long scored a fair few the season before last, but centre halves have not scored many

Have to say we look far more likely to score when Bodin takes corners or free kicks. Forde is t bad but Kane was woeful and KR or whoever coaches free kicks must take some blame because we are not inventive enough.

The good thing that having McNally and another aerially dominant player like Dunkley would be the dual threat from set pieces. It's easy as the opposition to have 2 men on one player - a blocker and a marker, but suddenly if there are more players they need to be extremely wary of, they don't have enough bodies to stop them all. Northampton's 2 centre backs got a staggering 17 league goals between them this season. Combine them with Bodin's quality of delivery and we're looking dangerous.

Moores staying another year, has Karl learnt anything at all?? - We need bigger and better, a real brute at the back! Same old same old

Elliott Moore is a quality defender. Especially in the middle of a back 3.
Going to be honest, I don’t think he is. He wins his uncontested headers and plays his 5 yard sideways passes that we all expect from any centre half. But it’s rare he gets me off my seat with a real committed bit of defending - how often does he get us out of jail? I’d argue virtually never. The ‘quality’ centre backs do that with blocks, tackles, big reads at vital moments etc. There may some statistics that back your argument, not sure. My view is pure observation. He does the basics and there’s a squad role for him but I’ve never been in his fan club - he just doesn’t fill me with confidence and I don’t think there’s a striker in the league afraid to play against him.

I’ve stood near Elliott Moore, he’s massive, 6 foot 5

43c834630ef02dd439b1dd1e8c73d53d.jpg

Most supporters I suspect would want Moore to stay.
Agree what both he and Mc Nally could do with is an experienced no nonsense centre half playing alongside them pointing out exactly what they should be doing.Someone like a younger Mous. Moore is too quiet to be captain as well

Agree what both he and Mc Nally could do with is an experienced no nonsense centre half playing alongside them pointing out exactly what they should be doing.Someone like a younger Mous. Moore is too quiet to be captain as well

If we are playing a back 3 then

McNally Moore and a pacy left footed centre back is perfect.

Then you’d have another signing (possibly Ciaron Brown), Long & Golding as your 3 to cover / challenge.

We also need 2 powerful box to box wing backs to maximise a back 3.

The owners are clearly building a club and laying the foundations in place. The £1.4m spent on the training ground and the stadium plans are proof of that. A slight increase in the budget is needed, but I'm personally happy not seeing us throw silly money around currently.
Still don't get this thing about throwing money around. As I've mentioned before, when you have a board who are capable of building a top class stadium, why on earth would a wage budget increase that could capture the quality we need worry them or indeed is. The difference between a wage budget of 4,5 or 6m a season is negligible, but will be the main factor in us getting promotion. If Robbo is their man, give him the budget and leave no room for excuses!

Reckon that any other Striker will be a young loan player. Taylor, Baldock and Browne will be rotated and someone experienced liked Eaves just wouldn’t go for that. He will want to start 40+ games a season.

Plus, we don’t need to blow the budget on another striker when the money is needed elsewhere across the team.

We might get someone experienced with an injury record (eg Connor Wickham) who is happy/able to start 5-10 games and who provides good cover. But that’d come down to cost.

Opinions and all that, got to admit i see things a bit differently, Browne i think will be 1st choice AM/F just behind the front 2 which means
we defo need a 3rd striker in, squad depth is going to be important if we are serious about promotion.

A pool of 3 1st choice strikers that can share the load, ie 30 starts each would be how i would like to see us shape up, Browne, Bodin (I hope)
and GoD can back us up.

Got to keep in mind that Browne hasnt played much in over a year and his acl is still to be tested after a run of games, he might require game
time management so putting him in the same pool as an ageing Taylor and a somewhat injury prone Baldock is kind of asking for trouble imo.

Sam Hutchinson, centre half released by Sheff Wed would be a better option than Dunkley imo. Looked class against us at home.

Sheff Wed fans seem positive about him too. Comes from Berkshire originally and so may see Oxford as a move closer to home.

Going to be honest, I don’t think he is. He wins his uncontested headers and plays his 5 yard sideways passes that we all expect from any centre half. But it’s rare he gets me off my seat with a real committed bit of defending - how often does he get us out of jail? I’d argue virtually never. The ‘quality’ centre backs do that with blocks, tackles, big reads at vital moments etc. There may some statistics that back your argument, not sure. My view is pure observation. He does the basics and there’s a squad role for him but I’ve never been in his fan club - he just doesn’t fill me with confidence and I don’t think there’s a striker in the league afraid to play against him.
I suppose the cliched counterpoint to this is that really good defenders rarely need to make the dramatic blocks and covering tackles because they’ve already read the game and stopped the trouble at source. I’m not sure how much you really want a centre back to get you out your seat!

I think we perhaps undervalue Moore as a fan base because we’ve been blessed these last few years with raw, exciting young centrebacks who were clearly destined for bigger things than League One football. Moore isn’t that - I think League One will always be his level - but I don’t think every centreback needs to be some mercurial talent who has a mistake in him. There’s definitely space in any back line for a no-nonsense, authoritative defender like Moore, and, despite his drawbacks, he is that. Also deceptively good on the ball too, which I think goes unnoticed a lot of the time.

Opinions and all that, got to admit i see things a bit differently, Browne i think will be 1st choice AM/F just behind the front 2 which means
we defo need a 3rd striker in, squad depth is going to be important if we are serious about promotion.

A pool of 3 1st choice strikers that can share the load, ie 30 starts each would be how i would like to see us shape up, Browne, Bodin (I hope)
and GoD can back us up.

Got to keep in mind that Browne hasnt played much in over a year and his acl is still to be tested after a run of games, he might require game
time management so putting him in the same pool as an ageing Taylor and a somewhat injury prone Baldock is kind of asking for trouble imo.

If getting a third '1st choice' striker in, who is only likely to play 20% of the season, takes wage budget away from the defence and defensive midfield, then I'm totally against.

We have 20-30 goals already between Taylor and Baldock. Would prefer a younger untested talent who can be brought in to learn from those guys and develop as part of our model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom