Home Match Day Thread 17/09/2022 - L1: OUFC v MK Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to disagree with this. Not only is 'least of our worries' unhelpful (anything that needs addressing - needs addressing) - the GK situation is right up there anyway (as it was last season).

If we'd had someone like Cooper (Plymouth) in goal last season (with his stats) we'd not only have made the play-offs but been knocking on the door of the autos.

This season we'd likely be 5 or 6 points better off.

There are a whole host of issues at the moment of course (and some are more obvious than others) - but I am uncomfortable with how easily our poor Goalkeeping over the past year is dismissed by so many on here.
Eastwood played 14 league games last session; Stevens played 30.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good sagging off eh.

Have to disagree with this. Not only is 'least of our worries' unhelpful (anything that needs addressing - needs addressing) - the GK situation is right up there anyway (as it was last season).

If we'd had someone like Cooper (Plymouth) in goal last season (with his stats) we'd not only have made the play-offs but been knocking on the door of the autos.

This season we'd likely be 5 or 6 points better off.

There are a whole host of issues at the moment of course (and some are more obvious than others) - but I am uncomfortable with how easily our poor Goalkeeping over the past year is dismissed by so many on here.
Who knows if Cooper would have made a difference. He might have had better players in front of him etc.

I just don’t think the goalkeeper situation was a priority. We needed to prioritise on fullbacks, holding midfielder, strikers, pace, athleticism and non injury prone players etc.

I think that Eastwood and Stevens could and woukd have done a job for us.

It’s amazing what a bit of confidence, belief and better man management can do rather than bloody analytics. You only have to hear the plaudits Stevens is getting at Port Vale, but I’m not sure if he is indeed playing exceptionally well or just doing the basics as I’m not bothered to go by stats etc.

I’m not disputing that but sat behind and just to the right of the goal and everyone around me were all in agreement Easty got his fingers to the ball but the ref has to make a quick decision and Grigg knows how to play the ref. And yes we were shite.
Didn’t say you were disputing it, but I guess it’s all immaterial now!

I sit roughly around here too and there was no way there was any contact with the ball. Easty left it a second too late to come and Grigg was always favourite. You could see it coming the moment Grigg moved that way Easty was never going to make it and the hesitation cost us any chance we had of getting a draw.
I sit in that area too, and agree with you that Eastwood didn't get the ball. Nailed on penalty.

I sit in that area too, and agree with you that Eastwood didn't get the ball. Nailed on penalty.
We were side on and no way should he have dived like he did. Griggs could have been forced wide.

Have to disagree
Our goal keeper needs protection, he's not getting it... Eastwood is as good as any,
And I disagree with that. He was once - he was superb in our first couple of seasons back in League One. But he's nowhere near the keeper he used to be. In fact I believe if the Swindon game had been in front of fans, he would never have played for Oxford again.

And I disagree with that. He was once - he was superb in our first couple of seasons back in League One. But he's nowhere near the keeper he used to be. In fact I believe if the Swindon game had been in front of fans, he would never have played for Oxford again.
Perhaps the same back 4 who played in front of him helped
How many times has the back 4/5 changed this season and changed systems
The last two games we have players playing wing back who have never played in that position before
A settled defence will certainly help any keeper but not sure that appears in the stats

IMO he was never the same after he had that horror injury during the warm-up in August 2018, when his finger popped right through the skin.

I was not sorry the see Stevens go out on loan. Those shots across him that kept going in were a recurring feature. And I understood why it might be easier to arrange a loan for Stevens than Eastwood.

But I thought that McGuity was being brought in as the new first choice keeper, with Eastwood as the older keeper backup. If McGinty wasn't ready (or even worse if the 'recruitment team' thought he was ready and he wasn't!) then the whole thing was yet another example of muddled thinking and bad planning.

Well that would be down to the owners who we haven’t heard from in over a year.

This has been done to death on another thread but boy do we need some communication from them now

Must be difficult for them because they are not in the country but by allowing KR a free reign we are now in a sorry state

I honestly believe they would be ok with another season in League 1 because they can let things continue without having to make a statement before there is an announcement about SB. If we get the green light big announcement if not they pay their debts and walk away

This really cocks things up for them because they are going to have to replace KR if results continue like this. Bet they are hoping he can turn it around so that they don’t have to talk to the media now
Honestly if this stadium planning doesn’t go through I think they’ll all be gone in no time. Playing devils advocate they if they put the budget together speculated then they must be in part serious.

I still think they’ll do a Kassam or a Reading to us. All the surrounding business will be separated from the club under different company names, the stadium separate from OUFC and one day we’ll be back where we are now.

Slowing down the Moments You Missed video on YouTube seems to confirm what I saw regarding the MK Dons penalty.
Eastwood got a touch.
You don't even have to slow it down. Eastwood made clear contact diverting the ball to his right and the ball has run away 4 or 5 feet before contact is made with Grigg and he goes over. Terrible decision. Unless the ref was sure it was a penalty he shouldn't have given it and he couldn't have been as it wasn't!! 😠😠😠😠😠

You don't even have to slow it down. Eastwood made clear contact diverting the ball to his right and the ball has run away 4 or 5 feet before contact is made with Grigg and he goes over. Terrible decision. Unless the ref was sure it was a penalty he shouldn't have given it and he couldn't have been as it wasn't!! 😠😠😠😠😠

They are pretty much always given now.

he could be sure in his own mind but still wrong - not uncommon hence the dreaded VAR in " the only league that matters" (courtesy of Talk Bore I mean Sport et al)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom