Ref Watch +++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

What infuriates me is that OUFC were first in posession and in most of the other "pretty" stats, and.....it has been mentioned on here in the last few hours, bit IMO it hasn't been mentioned enough, I luv the way that Athletico Madrid play, and that IMO is the template for all League 1 sides, only teams like Real Madrid and Barca can play and win in the way they do, and even Madrid have played 4-4-2 in the last few yrs and been quite direct. In any case if you want to play like Karl Robinson want, it has to be press press press from the forward line, the team has to run and close down like maniacs when we haven't go the ball, were the OUFC forwards really pressing last night?

Fine if the Covid break really hurt us, we should have played a different way then.

What happens now continues to be tied to Tiger's ability to solve the stadium issue (and fund the club in the meantime) as that, more than anything, determines our future.
Without wanting to dwell on it too much as we’re all already pig sick, or indeed say more than I should, promotion was important on the stadium front. Or rather it was certainly incredibly helpful.

I’m that gutted it’s taken till now to even look at the forum. We came up short, simple as. Yes 2nd half we really improved if we score a 2nd it would of been over. But we never. Next season will be tough. Expectations will be high, but let’s not forget we massively over achieved this season. If we can get among the play of places next season in my eyes that will be success. I so wanted a crack at the championship. GUTTED but so proud of the boys for a fantastic season. Karl has to stay and Tiger and his team really need to back him. COYY

Without wanting to dwell on it too much as we’re all already pig sick, or indeed say more than I should, promotion was important on the stadium front. Or rather it was certainly incredibly helpful.
That's lovely to read.

Perhaps they shouldn't have gambled on that most important front by selling two of our best players in January, before promotion had been secured.

I believe that we still had the personnel to see off Whycome last night. We didn’t need Baptiste or Fosu to beat them. Just fitness and form from the squad.
They just fell short of the mark.
Mistakes are fatal in One off games like These.

I believe that we still had the personnel to see off Whycome last night. We didn’t need Baptiste or Fosu to beat them. Just fitness and form from the squad.
They just fell short of the mark.
Mistakes are fatal in One off games like These.
We didn't get much luck either.

You could hear the Wycombe players in the stands shouting and cheering, encouraging the team. They did this against Fleetwood too.

As said above, I think Moore was done by Onyedinma, who shouted "keepers" or something. Clever thinking. When you want something you would do whatever it takes. We seemed to think it was a given that we would win and go up, so didn't fight.

Told you I should have done the match day thread but hey ho, never mind, onwards and upwards

We got mugged By a thuggish outfit intent on doing nothing but hoofing it long.
We have only ourselves to blame, everyone knows that Wycombe are not a footballing side, they did though, fight for every ball. They’re the only winners from COVID, 8th to 3rd.

What infuriates me is that OUFC were first in posession and in most of the other "pretty" stats, and.....it has been mentioned on here in the last few hours, bit IMO it hasn't been mentioned enough, I luv the way that Athletico Madrid play, and that IMO is the template for all League 1 sides, only teams like Real Madrid and Barca can play and win in the way they do, and even Madrid have played 4-4-2 in the last few yrs and been quite direct. In any case if you want to play like Karl Robinson want, it has to be press press press from the forward line, the team has to run and close down like maniacs when we haven't go the ball, were the OUFC forwards really pressing last night?

Fine if the Covid break really hurt us, we should have played a different way then.

Atletico Madrid's game really? what get a goal and then try defend it, now where've i seen that before.

As for only teams like Barca and Real Madrid can win playing in the way they do, it does help if the opposition have a beat already mentality yet Man City took the P**s out of them in their own backyard.

Don't recall opinions on our style of play being wrong throughout the season and when on such a run prior to Lockdown.

Atletico Madrid's game really? what get a goal and then try defend it, now where've i seen that before.

As for only teams like Barca and Real Madrid can win playing in the way they do, it does help if the opposition have a beat already mentality yet Man City took the P**s out of them in their own backyard.

Don't recall opinions on our style of play being wrong throughout the season and when on such a run prior to Lockdown.
As I said, fine, the Covid break changed things, therefore KR should have changed the way we played. I know systems don't win matches, but we should have gone to a 4-4-2.

I'm probably the least ITK poster on here (there's an argument waiting to happen) but I was concerned that might well be the case.

Why did Henry pass when it was easier to score???
Why did Browne give up chasing and turn his attention elsewhere???
Why did Eastwood shout to Moore to leave it?????
Something starting to stink imo

Last edited:
Two words: Game Management. Ainsworth and his pub team gave a masterclass in it last night. It’s definitely something we need to learn fast. I’d argue we were far better at it under Appleton than we are under Robinson.
thats called luck.having less possession chances and corners isnt game management.

I still can't believe it. Wycombe Wanderers are in the Championship. Somebody pinch me! I think I'm still dreaming.

Commiserations ladies and gents. I know losing to Wycombe Wanderers is hard to take at any time, never mind in a League One Play-off final at Wembley.

I guess when you are beating Manchester United in a League Cup quarter-final, facing the Chairboys in a league game less than seven years later is something of a comedown. Especially as we were beating Didcot Town 4-0 in a Berks & Bucks Cup tie just three days after you had knocked the Red Devils out of the cup.

It probably explains why you have never been able to take us seriously. You'd like to think that managers and players would show a bit more respect, but for the supporters, we are forever the annoying little upstarts from down the road.

It tends to work in our favour, especially when you have a manager in Gareth Ainsworth and a squad of players who have such belief. The current side reminds me of the spirit we had under Martin O'Neill and it can take you a long way. Even to the Championship. It felt like this was an opportunity not to be passed up. Carpe Diem.

It's put a few noses out of joint and in pretty much every game we've played this season we've been described as a pub team, poor, rubbish, aimless and thuggish. We do nothing, create nothing and just got lucky. You wouldn't believe how lucky we have got this season. Long may it continue! Rumours that Covid-19 started from a laboratory in the West Wycombe caves should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Oh and we have been serenaded with "I wouldn't want to watch that every week" after almost every game we've won. We all find different things entertaining but this season has been joyful and I have been thoroughly entertained. Winning matches will always be fun, especially with such rich rewards.

Gareth Ainsworth was managed by John Beck at three different clubs as a player and his influence is clear. I think he has adapted it for the modern game and eschewed possession for purpose, using the strengths of the players at his disposal and exposing the weaknesses of opponents. Character is just as important as ability and I think that showed last night. When you have a player like Joe Jacobson, with such a superb delivery from set-pieces, why wouldn't you embrace it? I thought the tactical move to put Jack Grimmer on Marcus Browne worked a treat, especially with David Wheeler covering the full-back position. Karl Robinson reacted positively by introducing Liam Kelly at the break and it gave you a renewed impetus until the second-half drinks break which gave us a chance to recompose ourselves and go again.

The only real clear cut chance of the game fell for James Henry and I think his lack of confidence was clearly illustrated in his decision to square the ball instead of taking the shot on. I understand he's been one of your best players this season, so perhaps you could give him a break, although I realise that's easy for me to say. I remember Matt Taylor tearing our defence apart when playing for Bristol Rovers back in 2015. He looked a pale shadow of that player last night. Apart from the period between Mark Sykes equaliser and the drinks break, I felt there was a lack of belief from your side. I'm not sure why but we appear to have had a psychological edge over several opponents this season and it has made the difference.

From the outside it might be difficult to fully appreciate the impact Adebayo Akinfenwa has had on our club since signing in 2016. He is arguably our greatest ever signing as a Football League club. Now our leading goalscorer in the Football League, he leads by example and the spirit he encourages among the squad is one of the reasons we have achieved so much in those four years. He is loved by pretty much everyone at the club and will be leading the line for us again next season.

You wouldn't believe how proud some of us are of our club. It is rather a fairytale story for us. 133 years of history, started by a group of young lads working in the chair factories, over half of which was then spent pursuing amateur glory, and now we are in the second tier of English football. It will give us a huge financial boost and a stability we haven't had for almost a decade, but glory on the pitch is really what we all do this for.

I've always thought that you earn respect in the same way that you earn your rewards. Maybe last night will have earned us a little more respect and I must admit I've been surprised by some of the compliments and congratulations from some on here. It probably suits us better if you keep belittling us, dismissing us and writing us off though.

Oh and btw, we can agree on one thing. We are not rivals. Enjoy your battles with Swindon Town next season. We'll try and beat Reading for you.

I'm actually calmer about this than I expected, and I'm wondering whether that is partly to do with the fact that it was a game played infront of an empty stadium, so that not only did it look like a training game, I can now dismiss it in my mind as having been a game of no importance and therefore not think about what winning would have meant.

Not wanting to repeat what has already been said, but it was clear that the whole side were a handful of games short of being up to speed in terms of fluency and accuracy, which meant a lot of nearly but not quite balls, which just played into their hands even more. Saying that, their back four did seem very assured throughout, to the extent they almost looked like they were mopping things up on auto-pilot at times.

To me, Browne basically switched off after he scored in the first game, as though he felt like he'd done his bit. I know he is capable of pulling things out of the hat, but at no point last night or in the second game did I ever feel that he was about to do anything worthwhile. Saying that, while him not chasing that ball was frustrating, he had already turned to the officials before the defender scuffed his backpass.

Listening back to the audio, there is definately a shout of what sounds like "Leeeave Ittt" as the ball was heading towards Moore, but as others say if Eastwood said that it wasnt him, then I believe that. Does imply that it was someone pulling a fast one, but without a bunch of cameras pointing at everyone in the stadium, it will be impossible to work out who it was - perhaps the WW bench, as they were trying to provide some noise all the way through. Presumably, with a full crowd, shouts from so far away would not be heard by the players so Moore would expect it to be his keeper.

The other point - as mentioned in the Fans View - is that there did seem to be a handball in the box just prior to that move, which VAR would have picked up and may well have given, which would at least been more palatable that the penalty they did get. Also, Eastwood was incredibly lucky to not get carded in the end.

Strangely, at the time, my mind turned to what might have happened had Eastwood been sent off. Would the narrative have changed, young Jack Stevens coming on as sub on the biggest of stages, maybe saving the penalty, going down to ten men focuses the minds of those out there for one final more direct push, and a stoppage time winner.....

BTW - does anyone else see that Stewart is a spitting image for one of the lead characters from the film Avatar?

I still can't believe it. Wycombe Wanderers are in the Championship. Somebody pinch me! I think I'm still dreaming.

Commiserations ladies and gents. I know losing to Wycombe Wanderers is hard to take at any time, never mind in a League One Play-off final at Wembley.

I guess when you are beating Manchester United in a League Cup quarter-final, facing the Chairboys in a league game less than seven years later is something of a comedown. Especially as we were beating Didcot Town 4-0 in a Berks & Bucks Cup tie just three days after you had knocked the Red Devils out of the cup.

It probably explains why you have never been able to take us seriously. You'd like to think that managers and players would show a bit more respect, but for the supporters, we are forever the annoying little upstarts from down the road.

It tends to work in our favour, especially when you have a manager in Gareth Ainsworth and a squad of players who have such belief. The current side reminds me of the spirit we had under Martin O'Neill and it can take you a long way. Even to the Championship. It felt like this was an opportunity not to be passed up. Carpe Diem.

It's put a few noses out of joint and in pretty much every game we've played this season we've been described as a pub team, poor, rubbish, aimless and thuggish. We do nothing, create nothing and just got lucky. You wouldn't believe how lucky we have got this season. Long may it continue! Rumours that Covid-19 started from a laboratory in the West Wycombe caves should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Oh and we have been serenaded with "I wouldn't want to watch that every week" after almost every game we've won. We all find different things entertaining but this season has been joyful and I have been thoroughly entertained. Winning matches will always be fun, especially with such rich rewards.

Gareth Ainsworth was managed by John Beck at three different clubs as a player and his influence is clear. I think he has adapted it for the modern game and eschewed possession for purpose, using the strengths of the players at his disposal and exposing the weaknesses of opponents. Character is just as important as ability and I think that showed last night. When you have a player like Joe Jacobson, with such a superb delivery from set-pieces, why wouldn't you embrace it? I thought the tactical move to put Jack Grimmer on Marcus Browne worked a treat, especially with David Wheeler covering the full-back position. Karl Robinson reacted positively by introducing Liam Kelly at the break and it gave you a renewed impetus until the second-half drinks break which gave us a chance to recompose ourselves and go again.

The only real clear cut chance of the game fell for James Henry and I think his lack of confidence was clearly illustrated in his decision to square the ball instead of taking the shot on. I understand he's been one of your best players this season, so perhaps you could give him a break, although I realise that's easy for me to say. I remember Matt Taylor tearing our defence apart when playing for Bristol Rovers back in 2015. He looked a pale shadow of that player last night. Apart from the period between Mark Sykes equaliser and the drinks break, I felt there was a lack of belief from your side. I'm not sure why but we appear to have had a psychological edge over several opponents this season and it has made the difference.

From the outside it might be difficult to fully appreciate the impact Adebayo Akinfenwa has had on our club since signing in 2016. He is arguably our greatest ever signing as a Football League club. Now our leading goalscorer in the Football League, he leads by example and the spirit he encourages among the squad is one of the reasons we have achieved so much in those four years. He is loved by pretty much everyone at the club and will be leading the line for us again next season.

You wouldn't believe how proud some of us are of our club. It is rather a fairytale story for us. 133 years of history, started by a group of young lads working in the chair factories, over half of which was then spent pursuing amateur glory, and now we are in the second tier of English football. It will give us a huge financial boost and a stability we haven't had for almost a decade, but glory on the pitch is really what we all do this for.

I've always thought that you earn respect in the same way that you earn your rewards. Maybe last night will have earned us a little more respect and I must admit I've been surprised by some of the compliments and congratulations from some on here. It probably suits us better if you keep belittling us, dismissing us and writing us off though.

Oh and btw, we can agree on one thing. We are not rivals. Enjoy your battles with Swindon Town next season. We'll try and beat Reading for you.

It's a Tuesday during working hours and somehow you've got the time to draft that up ?

What is your job and how can I apply!

Do we really have to read this s**t? Now's not the time, mate. Go and enjoy your achievement with your own people and let us alone to grieve.

No, you don't have to read it although it might help some with the grieving process ...and maybe a little bit of schadenfreude on my part.

Why did Henry pass when it was easier to score???
Why did Browne give up chasing and turn his attention elsewhere???
Why did Eastwood shout to Moore to leave it?????
Something starting to stink imo

Why did Henry shoot and not pass when Taylor would of had a tap in (would have been said)

I know Ryan and a few others disagree but i still feel their fella reacts differently with Browne in his face

Because that's what Goalkeepers do unfortunately their lad hadn't given up and just got there first.

You should have emptied the shelves of Bog Roll like many others did

Back
Top Bottom