Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Itโ€™s surprising how many are still making excuses for Buckingham. We all want it to work, but since he has arrived we have been poor, all but the Portsmouth game. Beadle is missed, but he was here when Buckingham came (for a month)! And as for the back room staff, how different is it to when Manning was here? One manager had a clear structure, press, and an idea of how to play, the otherโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Buckingham does not need excuses, he needs to stamp his authority on the team, think carefully about who we are playing and how we need to set up to play against them, and get them playing at least close to how Manning did! Buckingham has two or three games to do this or the writing should be on the wall, and the envelope on his desk!

• React
Reactions: Nox
Itโ€™s surprising how many are still making excuses for Buckingham. We all want it to work, but since he has arrived we have been poor, all but the Portsmouth game. Beadle is missed, but he was here when Buckingham came (for a month)! And as for the back room staff, how different is it to when Manning was here? One manager had a clear structure, press, and an idea of how to play, the otherโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Buckingham does not need excuses, he needs to stamp his authority on the team, think carefully about who we are playing and how we need to set up to play against them, and get them playing at least close to how Manning did! Buckingham has two or three games to do this or the writing should be on the wall, and the envelope on his desk!
As regards your 2nd paragraph, it calls to mind the training ground tour back in 2019, when analyst at the time Dan Bond showed the level of planning for each opponent, down to individual video reminders for each player about their role and likely opposition player they would line up against. I sometimes wonder if that level of analysis is maintained nowadays, and whether we have lost something along the way.

I really donโ€™t see Thorniley as the man to inspire his fellow teammates and turn things around

Thorniley has a promotion from L1, he was a really good player under KR. This team needs wholesale changes, because we are crap. I watched Stevenage tonight and they are streets ahead of us - better players, quicker players, sharper players and hungrier players. Never mind Peterborough, they are out of sight and in the distance.

So Stevenage lose and we remain 1 point off the playoffs with, technically, the only impact of the Bolton fiasco being damage to goal difference and allowing Blackpool to catch us. It's crazy that on paper we still have a great chance of making the playoffs despite our recent form. I'm not rushing to the bookies to back that up though.

Thorniley has a promotion from L1, he was a really good player under KR. This team needs wholesale changes, because we are crap. I watched Stevenage tonight and they are streets ahead of us - better players, quicker players, sharper players and hungrier players. Never mind Peterborough, they are out of sight and in the distance.
Not disagreeing with you but I watched our win at stevenage earlier this season and thought the exact opposite. We had the better players and were a yard sharper than them.

Not disagreeing with you but I watched our win at stevenage earlier this season and thought the exact opposite. We had the better players and were a yard sharper than them.

That seems a lifetime ago. You canโ€™t compare us now. They are just better, better in every respect. They have the look now of a proper top six side, Iโ€™ve always assumed theyโ€™re punching a bit above their weight but they look the real deal and as good as the others up there. Very surprising but fair play to them.

Areet lads & lasses,
Thought Id let the dust settle a little bit , not gonna comment on the game as I know you have all dont that to death by now , but just an alternative comment on your manager - ish .
Bolton are a wierd club that turn on thier own first and are a ridiculously fickle fan base (how many were left in the ground to applaud the players after a really good performance and 3 points?)
Your manager is one of your own so I hope you are not like us .
We appointed Ian Evatt (some would say stolen from Barrow tho we paid a fee) with 4 1st team professionals , in the summer of 2020 .
By Febuarary 8th 2021 , less than 6 months with him in charge we had lost 10, drawn 8, won 8 and were 20th in the bottom division , league 2 ,
the covid season with no fans in the ground!
He would have been hounded out before Christmas had there been anyone in attendance .
A mental second half of the season meant we got promoted and should have been champions.
Since then every season has been an improvement and he's the best thing since Allardyce.

Point being , sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for and , like our lot, if they had got their wish , who else would have taken on a basket case like bolton at that time ? Easy to sack , difficult to pick a succesful replacement . better the devil you know ?

Areet lads & lasses,
Thought Id let the dust settle a little bit , not gonna comment on the game as I know you have all dont that to death by now , but just an alternative comment on your manager - ish .
Bolton are a wierd club that turn on thier own first and are a ridiculously fickle fan base (how many were left in the ground to applaud the players after a really good performance and 3 points?)
Your manager is one of your own so I hope you are not like us .
We appointed Ian Evatt (some would say stolen from Barrow tho we paid a fee) with 4 1st team professionals , in the summer of 2020 .
By Febuarary 8th 2021 , less than 6 months with him in charge we had lost 10, drawn 8, won 8 and were 20th in the bottom division , league 2 ,
the covid season with no fans in the ground!
He would have been hounded out before Christmas had there been anyone in attendance .
A mental second half of the season meant we got promoted and should have been champions.
Since then every season has been an improvement and he's the best thing since Allardyce.

Point being , sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for and , like our lot, if they had got their wish , who else would have taken on a basket case like bolton at that time ? Easy to sack , difficult to pick a succesful replacement . better the devil you know ?

Fair points but we were second when he took over. itโ€™s been a painful, slow death all the way down to 8th since the day he was appointed. It started badly at Cheltenham and weโ€™ve never recovered. The football has been a terrible watch bar a performance a couple of weeks ago at Pompey (we lost), a late winner at Charlton and the odd half here or there, 45 minutes against you at our place too as I remember. Itโ€™s hard to make a case for him unfortunately.

i get that mate , but without a really good manager to come in and instantly turn things round , with no chance of bringing anyone else in until the summer , what do you do ? Im not being facetious genuinely asking the question , cos it could very easily be us now in non-league if some fans had their way .

That seems a lifetime ago. You canโ€™t compare us now. They are just better, better in every respect. They have the look now of a proper top six side, Iโ€™ve always assumed theyโ€™re punching a bit above their weight but they look the real deal and as good as the others up there. Very surprising but fair play to them.

This is idiotic doom-mongering.

Yes and at the time Evans said the best team they had played ,what's happened. Like someone has said most of the staff were here so do they have a say ?

This is idiotic doom-mongering.

What ? Have a look at Stevenage - better than us everywhere. They gave it everything last night, the players battled to the absolute end for Evans. Everything they are, we arenโ€™t. No one particularly likes Evans, me included, but his interviews are far more listenable than the monotone drivel of Des.

So Stevenage lose and we remain 1 point off the playoffs with, technically, the only impact of the Bolton fiasco being damage to goal difference and allowing Blackpool to catch us. It's crazy that on paper we still have a great chance of making the playoffs despite our recent form. I'm not rushing to the bookies to back that up though.
You haven't mentioned Lincoln City.

What ? Have a look at Stevenage - better than us everywhere. They gave it everything last night, the players battled to the absolute end for Evans. Everything they are, we arenโ€™t. No one particularly likes Evans, me included, but his interviews are far more listenable than the monotone drivel of Des.

So they lost yesterday. Does this mean we are winners?

The Bolton 222. Heroes all of them.

GIkeaInXQAAHceE

Back
Top Bottom