Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, we weren't exciting under Manning, but we were extremely well disciplined. Everyone knew their role and what was expected of them. We worked as a team.

Under Des, there's no discipline. No-one appears to know what they are supposed to do. We aren't a team. We are a collection of individuals, each doing their own thing.

ManningBuckingham
L1 ranking2nd14th
Goals3rd9th
Shots10th4th
Chances created9th2nd
Long passes21st9th
Shots faced1st14th
Goals conceded2nd18th

These were the stats selected by Sky. Tried to screenshot but file too large. The gap will be notably wider after last night’s antics.

My team for Port Vale, Matete isn't the answer, but nor is McGuane and I think Des needs to show some authority.

We need to go back to basics, two up front gives us an outlet, Leigh I would sit slightly deeper than Dale. I'd advocate for going a lot more direct too, we can't play with the ball without putting ourselves under immense pressure at the moment, so let's move it forward quickly and if we have to go long, have Harris run the channels while keeping Goodwin in the middle

lineup.png

ManningBuckingham
L1 ranking2nd14th
Goals3rd9th
Shots10th4th
Chances created9th2nd
Long passes21st9th
Shots faced1st14th
Goals conceded2nd18th

These were the stats selected by Sky. Tried to screenshot but file too large. The gap will be notably wider after last night’s antics.
Obviously those stats are relative to how the rest of the league has performed, but it's really interesting that we appear to be creating more opportunities but scoring less of them! There are many many variables which makes the trend for XG seem a bit silly to me. The main one is confidence.

Port Vale haven't won this calendar year, in 13 games. Even Carlisle beat them. I expect us to win but I don't think it will mean much.

My team for Port Vale, Matete isn't the answer, but nor is McGuane and I think Des needs to show some authority.

We need to go back to basics, two up front gives us an outlet, Leigh I would sit slightly deeper than Dale. I'd advocate for going a lot more direct too, we can't play with the ball without putting ourselves under immense pressure at the moment, so let's move it forward quickly and if we have to go long, have Harris run the channels while keeping Goodwin in the middle

View attachment 18315

Thorniley for Brown surely.

Obviously those stats are relative to how the rest of the league has performed, but it's really interesting that we appear to be creating more opportunities but scoring less of them! There are many many variables which makes the trend for XG seem a bit silly to me. The main one is confidence.

Port Vale haven't won this calendar year, in 13 games. Even Carlisle beat them. I expect us to win but I don't think it will mean much.
We have an awful lot of long shots under Des that we didn’t under Manning. Everything was less hopeful and often over calculated but we were so precise and laser-focused on taking the chances when they came. To the extent a left back was scoring like a striker… it didn’t matter who the chance fell to, they were mentally sh*t hot.

I think Des will change a chunk of the team on Saturday in a final attempt to stamp his authority and it’ll go much the same way. We might even see the likes of Henry starting. Bad runs all come to an end some time and Port Vale have a decent manager who will know what to do. Down to us to be better but I think we’ll get beaten and it won’t be pretty.

I really wouldn't mind Smyth playing as the / a sitting midfielder. I'm sure he would offer more protection to the defence than McGuane
Yes, or I’d even be playing McEachran. Presumably both are injured but what a time for a cool head. Look at the damage Sheehan did - that’s nothing McEachran can’t do even if his minutes are managed.

Yes, or I’d even be playing McEachran. Presumably both are injured but what a time for a cool head. Look at the damage Sheehan did - that’s nothing McEachran can’t do even if his minutes are managed.
I don't think they are but don't get considered

Down to us to be better but I think we’ll get beaten and it won’t be pretty.
This will be my fifth visit to Vale Park. So far I've seen us concede seven, score zero and pick up one solitary point. It's never been pretty.

This will be my fifth visit to Vale Park. So far I've seen us concede seven, score zero and pick up one solitary point. It's never been pretty.
Presuming the solitary point was last season, so if you plot that on a graph we are on the up...

I liked it too, but a sad indictment of the group of players that the latest recruit is the one pushed out to do media duties. We needed a senior figure to face up, captain or vice captain ideally.
I am told that the media request which player they wish to interview after the game - don't know for certain whether that is the case.....

View attachment 18315
Dropping Murphy who has been our best player for the last few games and one of our only outlets would be absolute madness.

Back
Top Bottom