Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
btw I'm not a "Des lover" or anything, I don't know the man, and I have no reason to support him particularly. He's done a poor job so far. But I have lived through enough years of football to know that judging a manager too early is unfair, and that they can grow into a role, even after a start that is between slow and just plain bad. I believe in general people deserve a proper chance, whoever they are, and whatever they do. ANd we have a very good example in our recent history in Appleton, who was pretty ropey for most of his first season.

I think tonight he has lost a few more of those who were prepared to give him time though.

The drop off from players like Leigh, C’Brown, Rodrigues & McGuane are because of coaching & tactics.

Manning had them performing to their maximum.

Des has not.

He’s possibly only improved Harris & Murphy since coming in to the football club.

The players have been backed by the manager again in his post match, despite them again putting in a performance of the most disappointing nature.

Des is having a difficult time but this bunch are a joke. Grow a collective set of balls and fight for the bloody manager and the club that pay you handsomely.

Owen Dale: β€œNobody is hiding”. You could have bloody fooled me!

btw I'm not a "Des lover" or anything, I don't know the man, and I have no reason to support him particularly. He's done a poor job so far. But I have lived through enough years of football to know that judging a manager too early is unfair, and that they can grow into a role, even after a start that is between slow and just plain bad. I believe in general people deserve a proper chance, whoever they are, and whatever they do. ANd we have a very good example in our recent history in Appleton, who was pretty ropey for most of his first season.
I'd say its been a lot worse than just "plain bad".....Des has gone beyond redemption.

So why not just give it to Short until end of season then ? Why get Appleton involved ?
No, no and no again. He’s part of the malaise. As is Hackett.
I don’t know who to suggest other than someone like Warnock until the end of the season. He’d at least give the players some organised structure and make them harder to beat.

You can’t excuse Buckingham’s record. It is abject.

But, to a man we as a fan base should absolutely holding this bunch of spineless coward players to account! They have been abject for weeks and weeks (months in fact).

RR hasn’t played since Manning left and tonight he was embarrassing. He’d lost the ball in a bad area for the third goal and didn’t learn his lesson for the 4th - he lost the ball 35 yards from goal and made no attempt to win the ball back and petulantly flung his hand in the air. The bloke has been a joke for months.

This bunch HAVE NOT backed this manager. PPG would suggest it. Des is failing, but a large proportion of the angst needs to be directed at the players. They’re gutless and they shouldn’t get a free pass to just down tools.

I said it before mate. I knew of three players that had downed tools.

Everyone ripped me for it, but it’s true. RR and MM are two of them.

McGuane and Rodrigues should be drummed out of the club for their performances. Cowards.
Less inclined to hammer RR as he was at least trying to get on the ball and link up play. Got robbed in some awful positions but had feck all options available.

Again goes back to what I was saying after the weekend's game - playing in an advanced midfield role with McGuane and Brannagan behind you is asking to be starved of possession. Especially as Harris, as much as he works hard, just isn't capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Appleton was appointed very late-on in the closed season and inherited a poor squad, which he had little time to improve. Des inherited a very good squad that were used to winning. He’s done nothing but take them backwards, both as a squad and as individuals.

The two situations are very different, unfortunately.

Some players need to go just for not turning up from when manning went, new right back needed all new centre midfielders apart from cam for starters

Well that’s that!
Forget playoffs after tonight. We’re done.
Where that leaves Buckingham, well, if he resigned he could save the club a fortune.

The players have shown that they are not all working for him. I think he has at least partially lost the dressing room at this point and I’m not sure that the brand of football he has served up has been in any way good enough.
They look miles off it.
Sorry Des, reckon it’s time up!
Do us all a favour and quit.

Why do we start so slowly? Why are we so lethargic? We are we reactive and not proactive? Why do we not dictate games (or try to) instead we are constantly bossed in games.
I feel it's on the manager, but the players also have a lot to answer for. Have they given up on him?

Evans talking about his team’s chances of making the playoffs, listing all the rival teams/their qualities and doesn’t even mention us. Says it all. He thinks we’re done after this…

Back
Top Bottom