Home Match Day Thread 01/11/2022 L1: OUFC v Fleetwood Town

Should have been one down after 10 seconds, was one down after 90 seconds. Eastwood hopeless again. His clean sheet record as a proportion of total games played must be amongst the worst of any goalkeeper ever in the game. Always makes one terrible error per game that leads to a goal. But looking at McGinty in the warm up he looks a long way off so the need to score at least twice in a game to get a win will continue with Eastwood between the sticks for a while longer yet. Needed a number 1 keeper to come straight into the side, not sign a prospect like McGinty. Good keepers in a promotion side can easily win a side 10-15 points per season. We are in negative points with our keeper.

Marcus Browne for the price we paid and the wages he is on has been hopeless.

McGuane can knit together the play quite nicely if you like sideways passes, but do we need him to do it stood between the two central defenders? He needs his starting position to be at least 10-15 yards further forward. At the moment it is 'nice' but totally ineffective, not in any way decisive or game changing, slow, and basically completely unnecessary in the area of the pitch that he plays in as it contributes very little other than it adds another pass in the stats when an uninterrupted pass between the 2 CDs would have done the job anyway. He did actually have a long range shot on target against Fleetwood so maybe things can change.

To scout the whole of Europe for a right back, plump for Anderson, even get Lazio to put him on their bench to get his work permit ticked, and then not play him at right back when he is needed having already waited almost 2 months for him to get fit is atrocious. So maybe he is a RWB. So that still doesn't mean Seddon plays RB in a 4, it means Anderson plays RWB in a 5 and find someone to play LWB (not Seddon). I thought we paid a decent fee, probably decent agents fee, and decent wages to get him as we were desperate for a right back. So not playing him there basically is an admission that our manager messed up with his recruitment again. It is very easy to get a list of right backs in the UK and Europe. Anyone could have done a better job than our manager and recruitment team finding one that actually fitted the job description of 'Plays Right Back'. I have cut KR a bit of slack the last few weeks and said we should wait until the end of November. But this ever depressing right back debacle is turning into yet another big negative to beat our manager with.

And just to point out that our best performance over the last few weeks has happened when our manager was sat in the stands.
We ain’t changing formation just to get Anderson in our team 💀🤣

Disagree I’m not an Eastwood fan since his return this season but I was right behind it .
It swerved and dipped and it was a good save. What needs to be questioned is what happened afterwards three of our players one of theirs.
Totally agree with you.

Actually thought Eastwood had a good game with some much improved kicking etc.

Like I’ve said before, he’s one of the least of our worries.

Thought Findlay was poor again last night. So poor on the ball and panics so much. Having said that there were poor performances all over e.g. Moore, Seddon, Browne and even Brannagan to a certain extent.

• React
Reactions: QR
When we play Long Moore Findlay brown we’re not letting many goals in since this back line forwards need to start scoring more goals

Disagree I’m not an Eastwood fan since his return this season but I was right behind it .
It swerved and dipped and it was a good save. What needs to be questioned is what happened afterwards three of our players one of theirs.

Not sure I can agree with that.
Won't argue that it wasn't a venomous effort - it absolutely was - but it was literally right at Eastwood. If we had a stone statute of him in goal, it would have achieved the same end result! A top class keeper has got to be able to get that further away from the goal than Easty did, no matter how much dip and swerve there is on the ball.

Eastwood is generally a really good keeper in one-on-one situations, and he's capable of some very fine reaction stops in close. He just isn't great from distance, and it shows again and again. It's the largest reason why our # of goals conceded this season is so much higher than our xG against (which I believe is still the lowest in League One?)

Not sure I can agree with that.
Won't argue that it wasn't a venomous effort - it absolutely was - but it was literally right at Eastwood. If we had a stone statute of him in goal, it would have achieved the same end result! A top class keeper has got to be able to get that further away from the goal than Easty did, no matter how much dip and swerve there is on the ball.

Eastwood is generally a really good keeper in one-on-one situations, and he's capable of some very fine reaction stops in close. He just isn't great from distance, and it shows again and again. It's the largest reason why our # of goals conceded this season is so much higher than our xG against (which I believe is still the lowest in League One?)
The passage of play between 47 seconds and 58 seconds is so bad it's laughable.

I suspect the new board are just lining up the ducks before pulling the trigger .

That doesn't make any sense.

If they have long since decided to get rid and want to get someone else lined up, just put Mous in as caretaker in the meantime and restore order. What else needs lining up?

That may have made sense a fortnight ago, but not now. It's gone on too long to suggest anything other than there not being an issue to them.

You don't stick with a dead man walking unless you don't think he is one.

I think we should go for luke mcnally in January for a loan deal
Of all the things we must bring in in January, centre back is probably not one of them! I also wouldn’t change shape to accommodate him simply because I’d rather see Brown stay in the team than be bumped for McNally coming back with his tail between his legs. Brown deserves to be in the team.

Proper Mafia sounding s**t, right there.

“Where’s Selfie these days?”

“He asked too many awkward questions, so he’s swimming with the fishes.”
He was made an offer he couldn’t refuse

I defy anyone to watch that clip of the Fleetwood goal and genuinely suggest that what Eastwood does is as much as a decent Keeper at this level could be expected to do.

If thats McGinty he is righly admonished for it. There are a multitude of Keepers at this level (and at the level below) that we can afford that would do better there and would have done with plenty of other shots from distance this (and last) season.

I don't know who I'm trying to convince, but some on here appear to have emotional ties to Eastwood that I can't fathom - as if he came up through the youth team, was a ballboy that tried to trip Lee Steele in 2006 and celebrated 2010 in the West end of Wembley half cut.

He may well have been a good servant but we don't owe him a living or our undying gratitude.

All very odd, and I suspect any new incoming manager will rectify the problem pronto.

I defy anyone to watch that clip of the Fleetwood goal and genuinely suggest that what Eastwood does is as much as a decent Keeper at this level could be expected to do.

If thats McGinty he is righly admonished for it. There are a multitude of Keepers at this level (and at the level below) that we can afford that would do better there and would have done with plenty of other shots from distance this (and last) season.

I don't know who I'm trying to convince, but some on here appear to have emotional ties to Eastwood that I can't fathom - as if he came up through the youth team, was a ballboy that tried to trip Lee Steele in 2006 and celebrated 2010 in the West end of Wembley half cut.

He may well have been a good servant but we don't owe him a living or our undying gratitude.

All very odd, and I suspect any new incoming manager will rectify the problem pronto.
The first minute was a f**k up by him and several others, but there were still 90 minutes to win the game! That concerns me a lot more though I agree goalkeeper has been a problem position for the last year or so.

Of all the things we must bring in in January, centre back is probably not one of them! I also wouldn’t change shape to accommodate him simply because I’d rather see Brown stay in the team than be bumped for McNally coming back with his tail between his legs. Brown deserves to be in the team.
Nah drop Findlay

Findlay and Moore are doing fine,we just need a backup for Long. Keep the youth ie Joseph Odonker Goodrham up front and Bate or Henry with CB and Macguane behind them. Taylor Browne and Bodin to come off the bench what could possibly go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom