Away Match Build Up 01/01/24: L1 - Charlton Athletic v OUFC

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jster

So, if Goodrham and Mills are out now, we really are down to bare bones. We might have to play 5-3-2 - Thorniley fills me with dread, but not sure there is much alternative.

Beadle
Stevens Moore Thorniley Brown Bennett
McGuane Brannagan McEachran
RR Harris

Alternatively we could give Smyth a run out, and give McGuane a bit of a rest - looks like he needs it, and would be a useful option to have to bring on with 30 mins to help retain possession if we somehow had something to hang onto at that stage.

If Bodin is back, we play as a 10 behind the front two, and bench one of the 3 mids (not CB obvs, probably McGuane for reasons given above).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Let's be honest, the lads are f*cking shot at the moment, fatigue and a recent loss are uneasy bedfellows. If we switch it up we are fresher but weaker, if we don't we're nominally stronger but at risk of more injuries and longer-scale pain. And Charlton on top of it too.

Can't see anything but a loss to nil sadly, but if the stars align we might edge them.

Get some kids in, nothing to lose.
But who?

Not as close to this as I used to be, but get the sense that we are between waves of talent coming through...

We've got two who've been out on loan (Golding and Johnson) at least one of whom is back but hasn't featured yet for some reason...

.... and one who should be out on loan but is being expected to lead the line for 20 minutes each week without support.

After that though, who else is even close to being ready? We lost the best outfield player from last year to Brentford and played the next best in a pizza game only for him to pick up a long term injury, so I get the impression that it'll be a year or so before any other likely candidates emerge

Irrespective of the line-up and system we go for, Buckingham needs to ensure he manages the game much better than what he did against Derby. Every single substitution made severely diminished our attacking threat and whilst we don't have much depth of flexibility with the injuries and fatigue, it really shouldn't have come to the stage where we were pinned in our own half like that. We could've saw out the last 10 minutes with a 3-6-1 formation but somehow ended up in a 5-6-0 Wycombe-style and still lost.

If Perkins and O'Donkor don't even get within a sniff of the grass tomorrow then I think they are well and truly done.

Desperately hoping we’re still in the playoffs when the window opens but severely doubt it.

Irrespective of the line-up and system we go for, Buckingham needs to ensure he manages the game much better than what he did against Derby. Every single substitution made severely diminished our attacking threat and whilst we don't have much depth of flexibility with the injuries and fatigue, it really shouldn't have come to the stage where we were pinned in our own half like that. We could've saw out the last 10 minutes with a 3-6-1 formation but somehow ended up in a 5-6-0 Wycombe-style and still lost.

If Perkins and O'Donkor don't even get within a sniff of the grass tomorrow then I think they are well and truly done.

Mills was taken off as managing a foot injury, Goodenrham was taken off because he had injured his hamstring. Harris was clearly on empty. Unfortunately not much choice with the subs against Derby. I'm not sure your game changing 3 6 1 would have made much difference with the personnel.

So, if Goodrham and Mills are out now, we really are down to bare bones. We might have to play 5-3-2 - Thorniley fills me with dread, but not sure there is much alternative.

Beadle
Stevens Moore Thorniley Brown Bennett
McGuane Brannagan McEachran
RR Harris

Alternatively we could give Smyth a run out, and give McGuane a bit of a rest - looks like he needs it, and would be a useful option to have to bring on with 30 mins to help retain possession if we somehow had something to hang onto at that stage.

If Bodin is back, we play as a 10 behind the front two, and bench one of the 3 mids (not CB obvs, probably McGuane for reasons given above).

Thoughts?
Yeah. It’s not an amazing starting eleven for attacking intent but it’s the best we can do. I would go with what you suggest and have Smyth on for McGuane. If Ruben doesn’t have a good game and Brannagan doesn’t get forward it’s tricky to know where the threat comes from. But there isn’t much we can do apart from get behind Des and the lads.

View attachment 17208

We've got no options out wide, so why even bother?

Drop Stevens, he's crap, give Smyth a chance, as he has impressed at RB before, albeit against lower league opposition, but Stevens ain't good enough, and looks knackered anyway.

Des hopes Bodin will be available for selection for this one, so with no other options, if he's fit we'll have to throw him in.

Get two up top, retain the ball in central areas and try to control the midfield.

But we're so poor at the moment, I'm not expecting anything other than a defeat in this one.

But I'll be watching, because I'm a glutton for punishment
Love the idea of the diamond and certainly gets the most out of what’s available. We’ll not unpack the Stevens comment but I find that equally as bizarre as suggesting Eastwood should play.

If Bodin is fit, I think you’re on to something and that would give us a decent chance in the game. My best guess is he won’t be fit as Des seems to be a bit sunny side up with injury lay-offs.

It really is a dire situation that we’re in. It’s virtually impossible to imagine we can win a game of football with what’s allegedly available. But this is where us fans have a role to play. It isn’t Des’ fault and it certainly isn’t the players’ fault. They’re giving absolutely everything every few days with no let-up. Important we stop whinging, recognise the difficulty of the task at hand and try and give them any extra lift that we can on the day.

Has anyone seen their forum? They are even more pessimistic than us! Their fans can't see them beating us at all. One poster said they wouldn't fancy them being able to beat Oxford City at the moment let alone us. Sounds like Toxic central at the Valley! After reading their forum, I feel slightly more optimistic!

From what I was told yesterday.
Charlton supporters were not holding back in letting the team and manager know, what they thought of them at Rovers Friday.

Not difficult. Ebgland are crap and will win naff all
I was just pointing out that there is precedence when it comes to winning a draw, Scotland did it at the Euro's. I wasn't really making a point about England and their chances of winning anything!

I am.not sure that he had any choice at all re the substitutions.
Goodrham and Mills injured and nothing on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom