Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was maybe lost amongst the biscuit debate, but was Denver Hume mentioned as the left back that may have been on trial?

If so, he could be a decent addition. He's had plenty of games in league one at Sunderland and Portsmouth, and is a more attacking left back, wing back or left wing if needed. It looks like he still has a year on his contract so I would guess that we'd pay a fee but probably only a nominal one.

He did have problems with his back that kept him out for a while, but looks like he then just fell out of favour and will hopefully be looking for a fresh start.

Beadle
Moore
Thorniley
Brannagan
Harris
Goodrham
Rodrigues

7 out of the 11 who will probably be first choice.

Add to that 4 from 5 of:

Murphy
Mceachran
Browne
Negru
Stevens

Are we not signing anymore players? Manning seems to think we will have another 2 or 3 in so at least half an outfield team that didn’t play last night. Add McGuane as well.

If I see anyone blame long and brown anymore they have 0 ball knowledge just look at Newcastle they played Dan burn left back and got a champions league spot and he created 10 chances all season you don’t need flying left back and right back if ur attacking is scoring goals are attacking is still so weak. I’d rather we sign a goal scoring winger and goal scoring forward than a f*****g left back.

If I see anyone blame long and brown anymore they have 0 ball knowledge just look at Newcastle they played Dan burn left back and got a champions league spot and he created 10 chances all season you don’t need flying left back and right back if ur attacking is scoring goals are attacking is still so weak. I’d rather we sign a goal scoring winger and goal scoring forward than a f*****g left back.

Nice to have you back Karl.

Stevens, McEachran, Browne, Murphy(?) and then potentially new ST and LB coming in. That's a pretty big chunk that could change.

Anyone moaning about tonight needs to give their head a serious wobble.

Just for clarity I wasn’t moaning in the slightest.

I was assessing the current squad and the split between yesterdays teams and my opinion was that there was probably more of a quorum of the starting xi in that team than the other.

Couldn’t give a monkeys a**e about the result

I must admit to doubting the whole YF youth programme.
The standard of the youngsters coming through is disappointing and I'd say likely will be released to bedwetting episodes on the Banbury / Ox City ones if not a drastic improvement.
Of course still young so time to stake a place in the forums top 10 but focus , clarity and a long term take on the team rather than knee jerkism individual moaning required please guys .
Youth development mod required!

They do not have our rizz.

No cap

Somewhat mitigated by having Trippier on the other side though and Long isn't a League 1 Trippier. Perhaps the attack would be better if we had a bit more cohesion between the defence and the midfield or an additional body getting forwards from full back the opposition had to think about.

Saying that we do need more goalscorers. I think Harris will do fine but I'm not expecting 20 odd and there aren't many goals in the rest of our squad as it stands.

OK, while analysing Dan Burn did you also recognise the damage that Kieran Tripper does on the other side? How far forward he gets and the quality of his final ball? He created the second most chances from open play in the PL last season. When you have a full back delivering the kinds of numbers you would welcome from a pair, it makes it a lot easier to deploy a blocker on the other side. By all means, keep Ciaran Brown in the Dan Burn role. But don't accuse people of zero ball knowledge for suggesting Sam Long is not going to impact games in the way Trippier does because that's an entirely fair assessment.

George Elek has written an interesting piece about Ruben Rodrigues, last season's on-the-field problems, and a brief look ahead to this season in the latest NTT20 mailout. Copy below and can be read in full here. You can also sign up to the NTT20 email newsletter here.

"EFL transfers we love so far this summer​

Ruben Rodrigues - Oxford United - Free Transfer​

George Elek​

If you asked Oxford fans what went wrong on the pitch last season, you would likely get a mixed bag of responses.

Some would point to the poor defensive record, with the club keeping just eight clean sheets, three of which came in the final games. But a look at the underlying numbers shows that Oxford had the second lowest xG against from open play behind Ipswich, suggesting there was little actually wrong with the defensive shape.

Others would say that Oxford lacked a striker or profess that Matty Taylor’s legs had gone. But in reality, he was feeding off scraps before his controversial loan move to Port Vale in January, and things didn’t improve in that regard after the window either.

Oxford may have taken the third most shots in League One last season, but they took by far the most shots from outside the area and were mid-table for open-play xG for, showing a clear lack of creativity in terms of being able to fashion good goalscoring opportunities inside the opposition box.

Step forward summer signing Ruben Rodrigues, whose 15 assists for National League Notts County last season, not to mention 18 goals, should give Liam Manning’s side that cutting edge that they were lacking in the final third.

For a flair player, Rodrigues is also an aggressive presser off the ball. With Mark Harris leading the press and the ever-energetic Cameron Brannagan and Tyler Goodrham in the mix, we can expect Oxford to be one of the more aggressive teams out of possession.

There is of course a step-up from the National League to League One, but in truth Notts County were likely a top end League Two last side last season in terms of quality, so given the extent to which Rodrigues stood out at Meadow Lane, it feels unlikely that he will struggle with the step up."

OK, while analysing Dan Burn did you also recognise the damage that Kieran Tripper does on the other side? How far forward he gets and the quality of his final ball? He created the second most chances from open play in the PL last season. When you have a full back delivering the kinds of numbers you would welcome from a pair, it makes it a lot easier to deploy a blocker on the other side. By all means, keep Ciaran Brown in the Dan Burn role. But don't accuse people of zero ball knowledge for suggesting Sam Long is not going to impact games in the way Trippier does because that's an entirely fair assessment.
So u replace brown with a new left back but then ur gonna concede more goals so either way it doesn’t make u any better

So u replace brown with a new left back but then ur gonna concede more goals so either way it doesn’t make u any better
No, you just need someone who is more mobile & more comfortable in the position. Would have no worries with brown as a CB but he’s not going to create anything for us. We will have the same issues as last season.

Don't really understand what people are even arguing about. At the moment we have just one player who can play left back which is Brown, we need another left back at the very minimum as he's clearly not going to play 46 games + cups.

So surely you sign a left back who offers something different to Brown entirely, a natural attack minded left back. Then you can utilise each of them depending on who we're playing and how a match is panning out. Brown might start most games as he's a safe option, other times an attacking full back might start. You can bring on the latter when we need a goal or bring on Brown when we're holding out.

No one is replacing anyone, you need options and rotation all season long and we're not playing the same team every week.

It was maybe lost amongst the biscuit debate, but was Denver Hume mentioned as the left back that may have been on trial?

If so, he could be a decent addition. He's had plenty of games in league one at Sunderland and Portsmouth, and is a more attacking left back, wing back or left wing if needed. It looks like he still has a year on his contract so I would guess that we'd pay a fee but probably only a nominal one.

He did have problems with his back that kept him out for a while, but looks like he then just fell out of favour and will hopefully be looking for a fresh start.
That’s who I thought it was & mentioned a few pages back. That’s the one that came to mind with me. I’d also hope we are exploring & going all out for Jay Mingi, But he will also have championship offers I’d imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom