Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you judge a player after a pre season game where quite frankly none of our players played particularly well
Wait until the season gets started and we get the pleasure of his match ratings. On Twitter, Seddon never got higher than a zero, then it was Henry with zero every match and then Taylor

He judged those way before the game even started so discussing a player after one friendly is real progress

You will sadly get used to reading this all season

Sounds like Ciaran Brown is the one this season that will get it

I can have my opinion. Of what I’ve just watched we need better in those positions. People hate to hear it but it’s the truth
I agree I think we need better, don’t understand the problem good squad players but we need some pace to attack

To be fair, when you’ve just lost by so many goals you expect your defenders to come in for some- wait, we drew 0-0? With Billy Bodin playing as a central striker in the second half?

And the player identified as the issue here, the real problem position, was the clean sheet-keeping left back Ciaron Brown?! Forget strikers, what we really need is a left back!

I personally blame Beadle if anything, he’s not good enough and his distribution should have created more chances for us. Bring Eastwood back. Oh and before you say anything, I don’t care if you saw every single game last season - were you there at Eastleigh, did you see it all, do you have the forbidden knowledge?

Hopefully Manning gives the forward line a pat on the back and the day off, maybe sends them for an afternoon tea and a spa day, and gets those pathetic defenders who couldn’t score against Eastleigh in for a double session of extra running, while being on his phone signing us a whole new defence, ideally. One which won’t let such a disgraceful, one-off early pre-season nil nil draw ever happen again.

I can have my opinion. Of what I’ve just watched we need better in those positions. People hate to hear it but it’s the truth
Sure, and people can disagree with it too, that’s the point of a forum.

I think people are more annoyed with the way you’re putting across your opinion rather than the opinion itself, especially when you proclaim it as the ‘truth’.

I’m chilled, I just know what I saw tonight, just seems so many people can’t handle others opinions. I don’t have a problem if anyone else’s differs to mine. That’s football & life in general.
Having a difference of opinions is part and parcel of a forum though, and I think many a wondering whether going in so hard on a pre-season game is really a hill you want to die on.

It seems like you’re trying to get people to agree with something they already agree with (albeit maybe not to the same extent), that more signings are required and we’re not yet the finished article.

It’s going to be a long season, maybe pace yourself a little bit, because I’d hate to see how you’d react when we lose competitive games instead of drawing friendlies.

I think that the key this season is to sort the general balance of the squad out, get a style of play embedded into the club after it lost all identity and direction over the last 18 months, sort out the general support structure (coaches, backroom staff) and then hopefully push on with increasing speed once the basics are in place. I see this season and the next couple of windows after this one as building blocks. There are a bunch of players OOC in a year who are on a lot of money between them, and once they can be moved out and replaced on the back of a year of laying the groundwork, I think we’ll be in a great spot.

We might move faster than that - the league looks pretty weak on paper so far and we might click very quickly and be able to take advantage of that - and that would be great. I won’t expect it, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s possible. Personally I would see a top ten finish with a clear plan being implemented over the course of the season as a positive return, so if Manning can go beyond that then hey, that’s brilliant. I’m sure he and the players will have loftier expectations than top ten, as they should, so let’s see. But I would consider that a solid platform after the absolute chaos that ripped through the club and nearly sent us to L2.

We need a left back and another forward to get the balance sorted (ideally two forwards if someone can be moved on to make room), which I’m sure will happen in the next few weeks, and then once the gaps are filled the quality can be addressed across all positions moving forward.

I think that people might need to be a little patient, or at least be open to the possibility.
We have an identity. Play without a left back.

Please keep up.

You should stick to eating scotch eggs. You probably look like one as well. And have the football knowledge of one
Why get personal again with stupid comments about another poster and someone you don’t know, just no need for it.

Everyone has their own opinions and has a right to express them, personal insults are just childish, and pathetic and have no place on this forum.

Anyone any closer to knowing who the trialists were in the Barnet game? Assume they must be in training today. Anyone local…?

Why get personal again with stupid comments about another poster and someone you don’t know, just no need for it.

Everyone has their own opinions and has a right to express them, personal insults are just childish, and pathetic and have no place on this forum.
You should of seen the s**t I’ve been received from him on personal message then🤣

Anyone any closer to knowing who the trialists were in the Barnet game? Assume they must be in training today. Anyone local…?
Not sure would love to know. I’m sure it was a LB and a winger or midfielder

We thrashed Eastleigh 5-1 in last season’s pre season friendly and only just avoided relegation.

This season we failed to beat them and scraped a 0-0 draw.

This clearly means we will be relegated this season.

#bringbackkarl

Ladies and Gentlemen

This is the first real game we’ve played pre season, we drew 0-0
We had new players trying to bed in and gel all over the pitch
The only part of the team that was close to last year was the back 4 and we didn’t concede so I ll take that as a positive

We all have opinions but if this is the type of debate we’re going to have after one pre season friendly then I despair

Last edited:
I’m chilled, I just know what I saw tonight, just seems so many people can’t handle others opinions. I don’t have a problem if anyone else’s differs to mine. That’s football & life in general.
But how many times this season will we be playing 2 games in a day. The whole day is so unlike a normal game, both in terms of build up and performance.
We are acutely aware that Brown and Long in a back four will not offer dynamic attacking options. We are acutely aware that the squad needs improving but its one damn match, with half a squad. That performance will not determine our season, just as the 5-1 victory against Barnet earlier in the day will not either.

We thrashed Eastleigh 5-1 in last season’s pre season friendly and only just avoided relegation.

This season we failed to beat them and scraped a 0-0 draw.

This clearly means we will be relegated this season.

#bringbackkarl

No it means we will get promoted. You don't get any extra points for winning pre season games and the boring dull goalless draw last night is a blessing in disguise. It was plain to see we are atleast 3 quality players short still and I expect us to rectify that before the season starts.

Agree with you entirely but I will just say that with posts like the above, it’s hard to think he doesn’t bring it on himself/enjoy it/encourage it. No need for the comments made in his direction but if he’s going to poke the bear, don’t cry wolf when it takes your arm off.

Oh good, we're into the annual "can you tell anything from preseason games discussion".

Let me guess, some posters say you can, some say you can't and some don't care.

Is this the finalised squad? No
Does the season start on Saturday? No
Is it acceptable to flag things you deem an issue at the point you see them? Yes
Does spotting an issue in one game mean that it will be a feature all season? No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom