Transfer News Summer 2023 Post-Transfer Window

Murphy was good, I agree, difference being he’s looked good before and backs it up with dross next time around. Be interesting to see whether Short throws him in tomorrow after that to give him that chance to put himself in the thoughts of the next man in the dugout.

I liked Perkins. Played with his head up, some nice turns, linked the play and was in the right place to get a tap in. No lack of effort. Didn’t see anything that warranted this extensive absence.
I didn't see anything that warranted an extensive absence from either. Chelsea were truly rubbish though and gave us loads of space.

On Saturday Murphy was right in front of me a lot when he came on and he looked s**t-scared, I thought, whereas in the week he seemed confident and positive. Don't know what to make of that though, there's been enough amateur psychology expended on that man.

Makes you wonder what the plans was for January given we already have five loans and Edwards, Browne, Bodin, Rodrigues, Henry, Goodrham, Murphy and Mills for the three attacking midfield / winger slots. I’ve excluded Woltman who doesn’t seem to be a first team option at present.

Perkins going back seems nailed on and would have opened up a loan spot for Mehmeti (I know you can carry more than five loans at once but it seems unlikely we would’ve carried excess in terms of match day squads), but at least one of the above looks like they would’ve been gone. And might still be.
Or Edwards is converted to a permanent signing.

I didn't see anything that warranted an extensive absence from either. Chelsea were truly rubbish though and gave us loads of space.

On Saturday Murphy was right in front of me a lot when he came on and he looked s**t-scared, I thought, whereas in the week he seemed confident and positive. Don't know what to make of that though, there's been enough amateur psychology expended on that man.

Thank you, it's very nice to read "Theres not enough info to go on, let's not speculate". Feels like a very rare thing these days

Mehmeti and Roberts caused our right side so much trouble that evening.
Have watched him a few times since, and hasn’t been as consistently affective as against Stevens. And always on the left.
If correct can only be the Edwards is wanted back by Ipswich

Leigh, Edwards Browne all championship standard left sided players.
Browne can shift centrally or hopefully right sided,
But unless one is off, centrally or right side seems more needing of attention.

I liked Perkins. Played with his head up, some nice turns, linked the play and was in the right place to get a tap in. No lack of effort. Didn’t see anything that warranted this extensive absence.

I thought he was fine, and got into a good position for the goal. But I thought GOD was better.
And then when the two of them went off for Harris and Rodrigues, we went from "Winning comfortably" to "Completely tearing them to shreds" within five minutes.

I don't think there's anything sinister in Perkins' absence......it's just he's not quite as effective a League One footballer right now as those that are getting picked ahead of him.

And I think we can probably do better with that last loan spot in January.

Makes you wonder what the plans was for January given we already have five loans and Edwards, Browne, Bodin, Rodrigues, Henry, Goodrham, Murphy and Mills for the three attacking midfield / winger slots. I’ve excluded Woltman who doesn’t seem to be a first team option at present.

Perkins going back seems nailed on and would have opened up a loan spot for Mehmeti (I know you can carry more than five loans at once but it seems unlikely we would’ve carried excess in terms of match day squads), but at least one of the above looks like they would’ve been gone. And might still be.
Perkins will head back and there’s been rumours of goodrham courting championship and premier league interest for months. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s sold in January.

Browne was starting to shape up a bit when played on the right. He played there a few times before getting injured playing on the left! But if you considered Browne as a right sided option with Mills, that leaves Edwards and Murphy as our choices on the left… For me it’s not difficult to pick out who would’ve been sent packing but whether they have/would have found a taker for him is another thing.

I thought Perkins looked really good against Chelsea. Context is everything of course, but if it could translate to league game he showed a huge amount of what we’ve not had when Harris does his vanishing act. Interesting choice of words from Short after that game about players having not been given opportunities and no real fluff after that either. It was as though he felt some were getting pretty rough treatment from Manning.
Rumours are that manning did dish out some rough treatment to a few..

Maybe wrong but thought Browne was used more centrally now and again than on the right

Murphy was good, I agree, difference being he’s looked good before and backs it up with dross next time around.
Can you give some examples of when Murphy has looked good and then had a start the next game and not played well? Or a run of starts and not done well?

Maybe wrong but thought Browne was used more centrally now and again than on the right
I thought Browne was looking pretty good on the right, we had some handy performances out of him. I can't be having him playing centrally though and I don't understand why we do it. He's at his best when he can isolate a full back and run at them which he can't do there and his decision making is one of the worst parts of his game, which becomes more important playing as a 10. I hope that experiment has dies a death now.

Can you give some examples of when Murphy has looked good and then had a start the next game and not played well? Or a run of starts and not done well?
He hasn’t had that opportunity which I presume is what you’re trying to get at. He’s in one minute, missing the next, and I accept his chances of finding a rhythm are minimal. While not being his biggest fan, I felt there were opportunities to play him more this season that Murphy had earned and Manning didn’t take.

He hasn’t had that opportunity which I presume is what you’re trying to get at. He’s in one minute, missing the next, and I accept his chances of finding a rhythm are minimal. While not being his biggest fan, I felt there were opportunities to play him more this season that Murphy had earned and Manning didn’t take.
He scored two cracking goals on Tuesday. The first in particular showed what a class player he could be for us. Anyone seeing that goal and not knowing anything about the back story would’ve thought wow, what a player!

That’s why his ‘stop, start’ time with us is so frustrating. Does he need to just be given a run of starts to gain the belief and build confidence or does he need to really earn a first team start? That’s the difficult question that the incoming manager needs to find the answer to.

He scored two cracking goals on Tuesday. The first in particular showed what a class player he could be for us. Anyone seeing that goal and not knowing anything about the back story would’ve thought wow, what a player!

That’s why his ‘stop, start’ time with us is so frustrating. Does he need to just be given a run of starts to gain the belief and build confidence or does he need to really earn a first team start? That’s the difficult question that the incoming manager needs to find the answer to.
All depends on what happens away from match day that we don’t see. Everybody seems to think he trains perfectly and a great bloke so what is it that Manning felt was so bad he wouldn’t use him unless there were literally no alternative or didn’t want to burn out the 3 players ahead of him? And let’s be fair, we weren’t criticising Manning’s decisions around players a week ago.

I’d like to see him start today out of pure curiosity. Maybe he’d run for Craig Short like he wouldn’t run for the others. Maybe he senses an opportunity for himself. I think with someone as good as Leigh behind him as well, he’s not the same risk as he was in front of Brown where that side could then look totally redundant.

Al Hamadi (AFC Wimbledon) scored 2 today, 7 this season, only 21. One for January.

Back
Top Bottom