General RIP Gerry Summers

The manager when I went to my first Oxford game in 1971. I had great respect for Gerry as a manager. RIP. Time to change my user name

The Osler Road dug-outs.

FekRuZuXEAEdZid

What year would that be do you think? I'm trying to recognise the players and think I can make out Gary Briggs, Joe Cooke, Ray Graydon, Paul Berry maybe, Mark Jones possibly, might be Billy Jeffrey going up for the header and another maybe, Gordon Hodgson ? I'm thinking 1980.

RIP.
Oxford Utd v Hull City - March 1981.
When did the dugouts move back to the Beech? They were certainly over there for the 83/4 season as plenty of TV footage will confirm. I started going around 80/81 and regularly from 83, can't really remember them over on the Osler - not that I'd be paying much attention at that age.

RIP.

When did the dugouts move back to the Beech? They were certainly over there for the 83/4 season as plenty of TV footage will confirm. I started going around 80/81 and regularly from 83, can't really remember them over on the Osler - not that I'd be paying much attention at that age.

I used to stand in the Osler Road and I'm not sure I can ever recall Jim Smith strolling over to the Osler Road bench. He arrived in 1982 so I'm guessing they were moved 81/82. This image could well have been the last season.

The changing rooms moved from the corner stand to Beech Road in '75. Initially, there was just a tunnel for the players to access the pitch, with the Manager, Mr Fish, and the Sub still walking across the pitch.

This pic from 1978 is the earliest I can find with a pic of the Beech Rd dugouts.
1978.jpg

I'm pretty sure the St. John's Ambulance people used the old Olser Road ones until demolished in around 1983.

Lol. Never mind fans, apparently the team in white didn't bring any management

Oxford Utd v Hull City - March 1981.
I was at that match too (it was on 7th March) The link which I've attached below shows just how wet March 1981 was but so then I'm shocked by the state of the normally excellent Manor pitch. There's no way a match would be played on a pitch like that nowadays.

Last edited:
RIP Gerry.
The 72/73 season was special for me. We played some really good football. The icing on the cake was signing Hugh Curran. Scored early on in his debut against Millwall (of course he did) and went on to score 17 in 37. We also had Cass and Derek Clarke who were decent strikers.
Two other significant things that season.
Winning at the County ground for the first time, 3-1and seeing Swindon fans leaving early in their droves was a sight to see!!
Also the Anglo Italian cup, won 2 drew 1 and beating Roma 2-0 in Rome. Hughie getting them both.
Great days!!

RIP Gerry.
The 72/73 season was special for me. We played some really good football. The icing on the cake was signing Hugh Curran. Scored early on in his debut against Millwall (of course he did) and went on to score 17 in 37. We also had Cass and Derek Clarke who were decent strikers.
Two other significant things that season.
Winning at the County ground for the first time, 3-1and seeing Swindon fans leaving early in their droves was a sight to see!!
Also the Anglo Italian cup, won 2 drew 1 and beating Roma 2-0 in Rome. Hughie getting them both.
Great days!!

Also had Roy Clayton who chipped in with a few. I might be wrong but I think he scored one of our goals in the 2-2 draw with Manchester United (the Bobby Charlton wonder strike game). I'm sure he played in that game, even if he didn't score.

Also had Roy Clayton who chipped in with a few. I might be wrong but I think he scored one of our goals in the 2-2 draw with Manchester United (the Bobby Charlton wonder strike game). I'm sure he played in that game, even if he didn't score.
Yes he did. He put us 2-1up.
He started the next game at Huddersfield but got subbed, Geoff Bray coming on and looked lively. Bray got picked for the replay at Old Trafford over Clayton and Bray did get our goal in the 3-1 defeat.
Clayton was extremely miffed and put in a transfer request. He never played for us again and Kettering paid 8 grand for him in the November, a Southern league record!!
He did play over 300 games for them and scored over 180 goals, still a club record!!
So there's a nostalgic story!!

I saw Clayton playing for Ron Atkinson's Kettering against Cambridge City at the Milton Round ground very soon after I moved to Cambridgeshire in the early 1970s.
I think he was at Kettering until 1980. That length of service doesn't happen much now.

Yes he did. He put us 2-1up.
He started the next game at Huddersfield but got subbed, Geoff Bray coming on and looked lively. Bray got picked for the replay at Old Trafford over Clayton and Bray did get our goal in the 3-1 defeat.
Clayton was extremely miffed and put in a transfer request. He never played for us again and Kettering paid 8 grand for him in the November, a Southern league record!!
He did play over 300 games for them and scored over 180 goals, still a club record!!
So there's a nostalgic story!!

Interesting. Was Clayton sub in the replay ?

Back
Top Bottom