Sport Nottingham Ice Hockey: Adam Johnson Death

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Adam Johnson of Nottingham Panthers was involved in a truly awful incident in the ice hockey match against Sheffield last night.

He tragically died from the incident.

I can see why fans in the arena left in floods of tears and traumatised.

It appears a Sheffield player king fu kick the player in the neck, ice hockey blade in the neck.

RIP

Adam Johnson of Nottingham Panthers was involved in a truly awful incident in the ice hockey match against Sheffield last night.

He tragically died from the incident.

I can see why fans in the arena left in floods of tears and traumatised.

It appears a Sheffield player king fu kick the player in the neck, ice hockey blade in the neck.

RIP

Reliable media outlets are calling it a freak accident.

Having relatives that play ice-hockey, I can assure you that no player would ever deliberately brandish a skate towards an opponent - the blades are hollow ground and although not razor sharp, they will cut when force is applied.

Having seen a video of the incident, the opponent looks to have been bumped over the back of one of Johnson's team mates and Johnson arrives at the point where his legs are flailing through the air. The guy is absolutely distraught when he sees what has happened. A tragic unforeseeable accident. RIP and thoughts with his family.

Having relatives that play ice-hockey, I can assure you that no player would ever deliberately brandish a skate towards an opponent - the blades are hollow ground and although not razor sharp, they will cut when force is applied.

Having seen a video of the incident, the opponent looks to have been bumped over the back of one of Johnson's team mates and Johnson arrives at the point where his legs are flailing through the air. The guy is absolutely distraught when he sees what has happened. A tragic unforeseeable accident. RIP and thoughts with his family.
You can’t put into words what the players and officials on the ice would have been thinking seeing the aftermath. I feel for them, fans in the arena and of course his family and friends.

Video is as described, the opposing player is already heading airward, feet first when the poor lad slides in.

We`ve been to the ice hockey in Cov a few times, its a great day out but jesus its hard to keep up its so fast.

Likely an arterial bleed so he wouldn`t have known a lot about it. :cry:

I see there is some suggestion the contact was intentional. I have seen the footage (unfortunately), and I have to say the movement did not seem entirely natural. I will give the player the benefit of the doubt as I can only imagine he is feeling terrible, but I do wonder if anything will come of the 'routine' investigation.

Having seen part of the footage again on X, it does not look like he is “bumped” over the back as @Oxymoron says.

The footage I saw earlier, thankfully only showed up to the impact and not afterwards.

I suppose that’s why the police are looking into it… it’s not an easy case.

He’s also the leagues most penalised player.

Arrested for manslaughter........ one would think as an "unlawful or dangerous act"??

CPS jargon...... "that the intentional act is unlawful; that it is an act which all sober and reasonable people would inevitably realise must subject the victim to at least some risk of harm."

At first many said it did not look deliberate, but more and more pro’s have changed their views.

I saw footage on line yesterday of the incident and the opposition player does kick out at chest/neck height. In my opinion it's right it's being thoroughly investigated.