National News Liz Truss - Ousted Former PM... 2.

Is it not a fact that Turkey became an Associate member of the EEC (remember that?) in 1963?
Is it not a fact that Turkey started its EU accession in 1987?
Is not a fact that Turkey signed a customs agreement in 1995?
Is it not a fact that Turkey was officially recognised as candidate for full EU membership in 1995?
Is it not a fact that negotiations for Turkeys full EU membership started in 2005?

Now, in its current state of strong authority and rigorous enforcement of same, it is unlikely to be welcomed with open arms, only 1 of 16 chapters in the application are closed and negotiations officially stalled in 2019. It is also likely that, currently, Greece, Cyprus and others would veto.

However, these people play the long game so they are still in the Club queue when the door inevitably opens.

And why is that? Its simple ......... more people and more money.
If they actually ever were to meet the requirements of membership, including the end of their occupation of northern Cyprus, then nobody should have a problem with them joining the EU. Under those circumstances it would be to everybody’s benefit.

If they actually ever were to meet the requirements of membership, including the end of their occupation of northern Cyprus, then nobody should have a problem with them joining the EU. Under those circumstances it would be to everybody’s benefit.
I thought part of the problem was that Turkey spans two continents

:( if true. I'd hope the Security Forces have already done an investigation tbh and are taking action (again if true).

:( if true. I'd hope the Security Forces have already done an investigation tbh and are taking action (again if true).
Given the commonality of politicians using personal devices for the business of government, including the widespread use of Whatsapp, it is highly likely to be true, and also highly likely to be the tip of the iceberg.

Given the commonality of politicians using personal devices for the business of government, including the widespread use of Whatsapp, it is highly likely to be true, and also highly likely to be the tip of the iceberg.
At least Whatsapp has end-to-end encryption I suppose.

Frankly though, I'm amazed that anyone in government isn't dismissed immediately for either using personal equipment for 'work' information, or for sending sensitive material to people who don't have access. I know in my company either of these would be a sackable offence, even if you did say 'sorry'.

Frankly though, I'm amazed that anyone in government isn't dismissed immediately for either using personal equipment for 'work' information, or for sending sensitive material to people who don't have access. I know in my company either of these would be a sackable offence, even if you did say 'sorry'.
end to end encryption or not (and the government is trying to force backdoors into that with its massively ill thought out Online Safety Bill with complete lack of understanding about what that actually means) if the device is compromised (and that is the attack vector) then everything is open.
The ignorance of these things in government is frightening. I mean its not like coverage of the Pegasus hacking system has been widespread or anything...
The system of government seems to be set up at the moment so that ministers are beyond scrutiny for their actions. The defence of Braverman that it was only a "technical infringement of the rules" with clown-like defences of "These events need to be seen in the context of a very packed schedule" would not be accepted from civil servants (or pretty much anyone else).

The Conservatives would burn through their 357 seats by the end of the month.

So Truss's 44 days cost us £30bn according to the Resolution Foundation. Thanks @Essexyellows (and other members) for helping cost the country this money. :p

UK hit hard by bond blunder: The Bank of England must accept responsibility for the fiscal black hole we will all end up paying for, says ALEX BRUMMER

By Alex Brummer for the Daily Mail
22:09, 14 Nov 2022 , updated 09:02, 15 Nov 2022
+1
47 comments
How headroom of £30billion in the UK’s public finances became a black hole of £70billion to be filled in this week’s Budget appears to be one of life’s mysteries.

Those looking for political scapegoats blame Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng and their swashbuckling approach to tax cuts and borrowing.

That played a large part in the determination of Chancellor Jeremy Hunt to revert to fiscal orthodoxy amid concerns about fresh assaults on the pound and gilt-edged stock.

The real villain of the piece is inflation. It impacts by increasing the cost of government – notably welfare bills – and, as significantly, raises the price of servicing the national debt. Faced with elevated borrowing requirements post the financial crisis and Covid-19, the UK went all out on using index-linked debt to fund borrowing.

This made the work of the Debt Management Office much easier because of a voracious appetite from pension fund managers, because it assisted in balancing assets with liabilities.

The returns on index-linked gilts kept pace with the inflation triggers in the trust deeds of many funds.

It can now be seen how misguided this policy has proved and why the Government’s interest rate bill has become such a critical element in Treasury thinking. High dependence on index-linked gilts has proved a burden on the Exchequer.

It was assumed that the Bank of England would be so good at its job of meeting the inflation target of 2 per cent that the downside risk of issuing these gilts was minimal.

Another kink is that inflation-linked gilts have moved with the retail prices index (RPI), which generally runs hotter than the consumer price index (CPI).

The upshot is that at least half of the £70billion upsurge in borrowing costs can be traced to index linked gilts.

At 23.9 per cent of the UK’s total debt issue, the UK has the highest proportion of index-linked among G7 countries and twice as much as the next nearest borrower. This means that the UK is a total outlier in its dependence on index-linked stock.

The danger of inflation getting out of hand never appears to have occurred to successive chancellors, who signed off on debt issuance, or the Treasury and Debt Management Office, which advises government.

So Truss's 44 days cost us £30bn according to the Resolution Foundation. Thanks @Essexyellows (and other members) for helping cost the country this money. :p

Just numbers on a spreadsheet - it was coming either way irrespective of who was in the chair. Liz & Kwasi got to take the metaphorical bullet.

• Haha
Reactions: QR
Just numbers on a spreadsheet - it was coming either way irrespective of who was in the chair. Liz & Kwasi got to take the metaphorical bullet.
No it actually wasn't. They gambled tax-payers money and lost. It was the horse racing equivalent of putting money a three-legged rocking horse!

Liz and Kwasi - Shall we spend 45 billion on tax-cuts to try and grow the economy, and give a 5% tax decrease to the most needy - the ones earning over 150K?

Mark Carney and 100s of other senior economists - I wouldn't. That would be a REALLY, REALLY bad idea.

Liz and Kwasi - Pah, what do they know? As Michael Gove said "People have had enough of listening to experts". Let's do it anyway.

----Two days later---

Liz - Oh sh1t! That didn't go according to plan. Maybe we should have listened after all. Kwasi - you're fired. Jeremy - Can you undo all these changes, and sort this mess out?

UK hit hard by bond blunder: The Bank of England must accept responsibility for the fiscal black hole we will all end up paying for, says ALEX BRUMMER

By Alex Brummer for the Daily Mail
22:09, 14 Nov 2022 , updated 09:02, 15 Nov 2022
+1
47 comments
How headroom of £30billion in the UK’s public finances became a black hole of £70billion to be filled in this week’s Budget appears to be one of life’s mysteries.

Those looking for political scapegoats blame Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng and their swashbuckling approach to tax cuts and borrowing.

That played a large part in the determination of Chancellor Jeremy Hunt to revert to fiscal orthodoxy amid concerns about fresh assaults on the pound and gilt-edged stock.

The real villain of the piece is inflation. It impacts by increasing the cost of government – notably welfare bills – and, as significantly, raises the price of servicing the national debt. Faced with elevated borrowing requirements post the financial crisis and Covid-19, the UK went all out on using index-linked debt to fund borrowing.

This made the work of the Debt Management Office much easier because of a voracious appetite from pension fund managers, because it assisted in balancing assets with liabilities.

The returns on index-linked gilts kept pace with the inflation triggers in the trust deeds of many funds.

It can now be seen how misguided this policy has proved and why the Government’s interest rate bill has become such a critical element in Treasury thinking. High dependence on index-linked gilts has proved a burden on the Exchequer.

It was assumed that the Bank of England would be so good at its job of meeting the inflation target of 2 per cent that the downside risk of issuing these gilts was minimal.

Another kink is that inflation-linked gilts have moved with the retail prices index (RPI), which generally runs hotter than the consumer price index (CPI).

The upshot is that at least half of the £70billion upsurge in borrowing costs can be traced to index linked gilts.

At 23.9 per cent of the UK’s total debt issue, the UK has the highest proportion of index-linked among G7 countries and twice as much as the next nearest borrower. This means that the UK is a total outlier in its dependence on index-linked stock.

The danger of inflation getting out of hand never appears to have occurred to successive chancellors, who signed off on debt issuance, or the Treasury and Debt Management Office, which advises government.

An interesting if brief article.........

"And that is why she felt it really was time to take the hard decisions and root it out by trying to break with the sort of consensus, the cosy consensus that meant that Britain had been flagging along with international competitiveness"

"A symbol of the "senior Treasury civil servants who have presided in her mind over persistently low growth, chronically and persistently low productivity".
The Treasury orthodoxy "was something that just had to change because it was not able to unleash Britain's potential in her view".

Of course not everyone likes change or the boat being rocked.

Who knows what might have happened eh? 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom