Journalists and their craft.....................

Essexyellows

A good read.

I have to say it is spot on, the standard of journalism in these times is nothing short of abysmal. B
y all means ask the questions, but at least try and understand the answers and that doesn`t mean asking the same question over and over again trying to trip people up over their choice of words.

Although it makes some sensible points, that article is too one-sided. At the daily briefings, there has (more so over the last couple of days) been quite a lot of side-stepping the question or answering a different question than the one asked. That does sometimes make the questioners look like they are asking the same questions over and over again - it is because they didn't get a proper answer the first time!

A good read.

I have to say it is spot on, the standard of journalism in these times is nothing short of abysmal. B
y all means ask the questions, but at least try and understand the answers and that doesn`t mean asking the same question over and over again trying to trip people up over their choice of words.
The premise of his article was very good, did wander off a bit towards the end with an obsession with WW2 and the Germans!

Although it makes some sensible points, that article is too one-sided. At the daily briefings, there has (more so over the last couple of days) been quite a lot of side-stepping the question or answering a different question than the one asked. That does sometimes make the questioners look like they are asking the same questions over and over again - it is because they didn't get a proper answer the first time!
There have also been some really unfounded "facts" spouted as a basis for a question. Robert Peston made a complete tit of himself just recently.

“If we had had the modern journalist profession in 1940, we would have lost the war.”

Outrageous statement with absolutely no evidential basis whatsoever.

You could just as easily say it’s this desire to blindly pander to everything the government say in times of national crisis that led to the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party.

• React
Reactions: QR
Godwins law, 5 posts in....and I had such high hopes for this thread ?

I tried!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I`m wholeheartedly in favour of factual, investigative journalism and political opposition but Peston & Kuensburg are incredibly painful to listen too.
Thank heavens for Kier Starmer at least he has the intellect to back up the questioning.

I found this to be a useful video explaining the process of lockdown, etc - of course take with a pinch of salt - but this kind of hits on the journalist angle:

Having had 3 days away from social media, online media and the TV/radio media, I've appreciated how utterly awful the coverage has been on COVID-19. Stupid questions, setup questions to get at the Govt for a gotcha, shouting over people in interviews, slanted facts, stupid social media outrages... I can see why the media's trust ratings are sinking. It's become a drag on our lives and social media is becoming an even worse cesspool.

I didn't miss it and don't feel any less informed than I was on Thursday by doing it. And frankly, we may not go back to the TV news again. They've cooked their own goose in the past 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom