Journalists and their craft.....................

Having had 3 days away from social media, online media and the TV/radio media, I've appreciated how utterly awful the coverage has been on COVID-19. Stupid questions, setup questions to get at the Govt for a gotcha, shouting over people in interviews, slanted facts, stupid social media outrages... I can see why the media's trust ratings are sinking. It's become a drag on our lives and social media is becoming an even worse cesspool.

I didn't miss it and don't feel any less informed than I was on Thursday by doing it. And frankly, we may not go back to the TV news again. They've cooked their own goose in the past 6 weeks.
Do you consider yourself part of the 'awful' social media coverage? ?

I try to avoid the news as much as possible, it’s bad enough state of affairs we are all in at the moment without being told about it 24/7
Mrs ZtH and I are trying to listen to the news coverage of this just once a day so that we know what is going on but are not bombarded. I'm not sure it is good for anyone to be immersed in this constantly, and it reinforces the 'Groundhog Day' feeling.

I thought Channel 4 news presented a credible piece around our apparent slow implementation of a lock-down. Central to this was their take on a view that Johnson’s view of himself is that he doesn’t see himself as autocratic and was loathe to impose on the public to the extent of limiting people’s freedom; it featured additionally a person who has at some stage acted as a government advisor talking about the skills necessary if you are trying to pull a reluctant government along with you. I thought it was an informative presentation, but it did of course tick all the boxes for me.

Mrs ZtH and I are trying to listen to the news coverage of this just once a day so that we know what is going on but are not bombarded. I'm not sure it is good for anyone to be immersed in this constantly, and it reinforces the 'Groundhog Day' feeling.
We both saw a bit of BBC Breakfast and GMB this morning and couldn't wait to turn it off. It was a rubbish and uninformative watch., that felt was repeating the same scandals and talking points from the last few weeks. 10 mins into the lunchtime news and Top Gear on Dave seems a more appropriate alternative.

You know it's got bad when Neighbours is put on and is a blessed relief ?

We both saw a bit of BBC Breakfast and GMB this morning and couldn't wait to turn it off. It was a rubbish and uninformative watch., that felt was repeating the same scandals and talking points from the last few weeks. 10 mins into the lunchtime news and Top Gear on Dave seems a more appropriate alternative.

That's not bad, that's time to seek psychiatric help! :ROFLMAO:

Panorama tonight............ "Has the Government failed the NHS? " or some similar pre-judged piffle.
A once in 100 year global event, several Nightingales set up, Military mobilised and co-ordinating a National effort...................................................... but lets just focus on some whining twunk who was a bit short on a PPE delivery..........................

I thought Channel 4 news presented a credible piece around our apparent slow implementation of a lock-down. Central to this was their take on a view that Johnson’s view of himself is that he doesn’t see himself as autocratic and was loathe to impose on the public to the extent of limiting people’s freedom; it featured additionally a person who has at some stage acted as a government advisor talking about the skills necessary if you are trying to pull a reluctant government along with you. I thought it was an informative presentation, but it did of course tick all the boxes for me.

Agreed regarding C4 news. It’s certainly the news of choice for us from a television perspective. In terms of GMB and BBC Breakfast I don’t see them as being news/journalistic any more than I would Loose Women.

There’s plenty of good journalists plying their trades across all genres at the moment for those that care to look for it.

Turned on GMB, listed to Piers Morgan hopelessly shouting over his interviewee, looking smug at himself., turned off.

GMBs ratings have gone down in the past 4 weeks by 40%, and I can't think why.

We are the same, which is basically BBC 10 o'clock (as long as it isn't Fiona Bruce) but that has always been the case for me as I hate the 24 hour channels desperately trying to claw a new snippet out of a story that hasn't moved.
Incidentally, watched ITV news at ten the other day and was appalled at how bad it was. Every link was either sensationalist or stacked with opinion, which is not how it should be. Does anyone actually watch that through choice?

Didn`t watch it, the trailer put me off. Some "ex-director" of whatever getting all shouty saying "It`s not good enough"............... hindsight eh? Marvellous...

I watched the first episode of the Sally Rooney adaptation at 8.30 as ladyship had it on the interweb thingy. Surprisingly good, although I haven't read the book. Perhaps you already read it, or did you not like the subject.

Didn`t watch it, the trailer put me off. Some "ex-director" of whatever getting all shouty saying "It`s not good enough"............... hindsight eh? Marvellous...
Not sure how any programme like this can be anything but 'hindsight'? The same with any review of what someone has done - they have to do it first!
When this situation has settled down, there will be endless dissections of what was done when and by whom. You can either stick your fingers in your ears and shout 'hindsight' or you can choose to learn the lessons.

Have received several posts on Facebook from people moaning about 'negative journalism' during this crisis. Apparently some people believe journalists actually make up the news rather than just reporting it. Some people would like more stories about spring lambs or anything that brings a smile to the face, presumably while inserting fingers in ears and shouting 'everything will be alright.' Positive bus anyone?

Also given up on TV news (might catch the headlines at 10pm but that's it) and feel much better for it. Good Morning Britain has to be the worst, because Peirs Morgan is incapable of holding a constructive discussion.

His style reminds me of this sketch:

old top gear on Dave is funny - the new one with Freddie Flintoff and the other two (??) is awful.
trying to keep the same format without Clarkson, May and Hammond just doesn’t work in my opinion

old top gear on Dave is funny - the new one with Freddie Flintoff and the other two (??) is awful.
trying to keep the same format without Clarkson, May and Hammond just doesn’t work in my opinion
Completely the other way round for me, Flintoff and Co have brought it back from near death. Clarkson, Hammond, and May had just turned into a parody of themselves. The Amazon Prime show is shite.

Clarkson is an obnoxious gobshite but thought the 3 of them had good chemistry whereas now just feel the bbc have got any old combination together to try and keep the show going. at least the ginger tosser Chris Evans isn’t on it

I watched the first episode of the Sally Rooney adaptation at 8.30 as ladyship had it on the interweb thingy. Surprisingly good, although I haven't read the book. Perhaps you already read it, or did you not like the subject.

Wasn`t aware it had made the transition to TV. Read the book on holiday 2017/18 ish?, classic airport purchase! . As it is on iplayer I may give it a watch, thanks for the info.

Clarkson is an obnoxious gobshite but thought the 3 of them had good chemistry whereas now just feel the bbc have got any old combination together to try and keep the show going. at least the ginger tosser Chris Evans isn’t on it
I think Clarkson and Co just ran out of steam, they were great for years though. Agree about Evans, and that bloke from Friends as well.

Back
Top Bottom